I feel bad.

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Smasher, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I feel bad because I never go to the local comic shop anymore.
    I was never their biggest customer, but they used to know me by name and were always friendly and helpful.

But lately I've been ordering trades from Amazon or even BBTS.

I started buying the books in trade form from the comic book store, but they're normally $3 to $5 cheaper online.

I also feel a little bad because I don't feel like I'm supporting the title by buying it in issue form.
    Like I'm not supporting the artists or something.

Anyway, I just felt like working out my guilt online. :eek: 

2. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Don't.

Its the fault of Marvel, DC and Diamond for propping up a shitty outdated business model for thier own short term benefit instead of moving with the times and doing whats best for the US comics business in the long run.

3. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    The comic shop I go to gives me the usual 10% off but sometimes if I'm buying a lot, they'll give me up to 20% off.

But yeah, I've pretty much converted to buying all TPBs. Single issues just take up too much space with all them ads in them these days plus TPBs can go into a bookshelf while single issues just sit in the boxes.

4. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I feel bad as well.

When I was living in London I would go to the comic shop on my way home on new comic book day (a Thursday here) to get my stuff. But when I was made redundant I had to cut back on some of the titles and slowly stopped getting them, selecting to get the trades instead to save me some money.

Now I'm not living in London I just get the trades as the comic shop near me is crap.
    Though I did manage to nip into the London shop when I was down at the tail end of last year and bough a comic.

5. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

My store sure doesn't mind getting trades for me. Cover price. I bought 70 bucks worth on my last trip to the store 2 weeks ago. I even ask in advance for them to pull trades for things just coming out.

For example, Marvel is getting a Hellraiser series soon. I have the three Checkmate trades already. My store will pull the trades for this series, which hasn't even dropped single issues yet, when they come out.

So they don't mind, I get good service, and frankly, I tend to buy more product with trades because I can read the arcs more quickly and move to the next trade.

- Coeloptera

6. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I feel a little bad too. But I kinda have a reason to not go. Blackest Night is over, and for some reason they never get TF comics let alone anything from IDW..

7. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I would buy the trades from the store if they matched the online prices.
    I never paid more than $9 for a Hellboy book online.

Not only are the trades cheaper than individual issues. but they don't have ads, AND they often have bonus content.

Another benefit to the format is story cohesion.
    I've looked through the old Transformers ongoing thread and there are lots of posts like "another issue where nothing happened".
    Yet I just got through reading For All Mankind and it felt like a well paced story.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I don't.

Because I don't have a comic shop in town. :( 

9. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Sometimes I do feel bad when I am not able to support a local business like my comic book shop.

Then when I go in and see what the most recent books/storylines are like, I feel even worse.

10. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, don't feel bad. It's not your 'duty' to support a local comic store or the comic publishers, it's their job to earn your support by producing a quality product and/or offering you a good value for your money. The stores and the publishers just want to make people feel like that duty exists to prop up their failing business model.

Personally, my LCS is great, with good selection and a pleasant staff. They also have a discount, although I've never had enough on my file to qualify for it. However, it just doesn't make sense for me to keep shopping there because it's not a good value for my money. Whether I use Amazon, Borders or sometimes BBTS, I can easily get most TPBs for $6 - 10 off the cover price that's charged by my LCS. For every trade I buy at the LCS, that's $6 - 10 less I have to put towards TFs, DVDs, my retirement, whatever. And the same thing applies to buying monthlies. If I can buy the average TPB for $10 - 14, it doesn't make sense to spend ~$20 buying the singles (assuming a 6-issue arc at ~$3 per issue). That's why I'm switching solely to waiting for trades after the next issue of GL comes out.

11. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I felt pretty bad when I canceled TF ongoing at my comic shop. I'd been going to the same place for the last 15 years and knew the owners really well. Over the years I gradually began canceling one comic after another until TFs was the only thing left. Finally I canceled that too. It was almost like a breakup, but I'm not going to slam down $4 every month for something I don't even want.

12. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Wow, as one of our resident comic shop owners I hear this a LOT...but it IS at least partially on the store owners to try and keep your business...Personally I lose more customers due to them moving out of the area or job loss than pricing...it's expensive to live in the Bay Area...

My regular customers DO get a discount and I'm more than happy to do special orders.

A LOT of the mainstream stories are lacking, that's a big part of why I expanded to add a lot of indie titles that are really well written. I've turned a lot of my customers on to those titles :)  I have more customers reading Irredeemable, Grimm's Fairy Tales and I-Zombie than either Superman or Amazing Spiderman right now :)  Who Is Mark Ellis and Lady Mechanika are also picking up quite a bit.

If Marvel and DC want to keep the monthly titles going they need to stop writing with the graphic novel in mind, stories written that way tend to be too light on content. I miss the old days when a book was mostly self contained...Doc Ock shows up on the cover...announces his big plan and is in jail by the time the book is over...there MIGHT be a secondary story in the background but a reader could pick up a single issue and have a complete story. Silver / Bronze age writers and artists did a lot more with a lot less IMHO.

13. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    If you were the owner or manager of my comic shop would you be offended if I asked if they could match online pricing?

14. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    I never get offended by stuff like that :)  Sometimes I just can't, but it never hurts to ask :p 

It always amazes me when I hear of other shop owners getting offended and being douchy to their customers...it's a comic shop, it's SUPPOSED to be a fun place. I've heard horror stories about owners who get offended when asked for discounts...makes no sense to me :) 

I have 'customers' who haven't bought a book in months because of the economy. I fully encourage them to keep coming in just to shoot the shit. Mostly because I really LIKE most of my customers and consider them friends, but also because I don't want them to get out of the habit of coming in once times get better for them.

15. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    My store treats me great and gives me 20% off anything I order from them. I go there to support the store, they care about their customers.

16. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

when i was buying comics, i liked my store i went to. nice people and they give you a 10-20% discount (depending on how much you spend).

but since i dont buy issues no more and just pick up just the Fables trade, i wait for the Borders Reward coupon to come and i use that (usually a 33-40% off one time discount)

17. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I have my floppies sent to me monthly, nothing quite like it.

I get a mix of trades and singles, Avengers issues I get the singles of, Invincible, Walking Dead and Ultimate Spider-Man I get as trades as I think I would go fucking nuts if I had to wait a month to read what happens next :eek: 

18. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    i feel like chicken tonight

19. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
  20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been buying digital on my PSP and Iphone. I'm part of the problem :(