I feel bad for GI Joe fans....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rattrap Primal, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

Ok, now I know this isn't a TF thread, and somebody probably already talked about this, but hear me out. With Transformers on the big screen proving to be a big success, I know the GI Joe fans (myself included) where exited for their live action version of GI Joe movie, until it was announced that Stephen Sommers is directing, which means that it is going to be worse than Transformers. So, let the fans out there who either follow both franchises like me, or just one franchise cringe and prepare for the worst.

2. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    what?

3. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Wait....Transformers was bad?

4. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll do the same thing I did with TF and wait until I see the GI JOE movie before I judge it.

5. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What the hell is so wrong with The Mummy series? I think it's a fantastic homage to the monster movies of the 30's and 40's. If the source material is treated correctly, it should be a fun ride.

6. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I love the constants that people can always rely on in life.

One of them is that 'no matter what info has been passed on, no matter the subject matter or no matter the timing, people on the internet will jump to conclusions, make broad sweeping generalizations and hate a movie before seeing it.

Makes you feel all warm inside doesn't it?

You want to feel bad about somthing? Feel bad that Hasbro may cancel the 8" joes.

7. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    Agreed.

8. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
  9. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

Yep. Love the mummy movies too. This director is awesome, nothing to worry about.

10. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I think Steve Sommers is a pretty good director. I dont see what the issue is.

11. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I liked both Mummy movies and Van Helsing. I think he's a great choice for a director.

12. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Sommers doesn't scare me for GIJoe, but the translation of GIJoe into live action does. Snake-eyes would work, but we know for damn sure that the screen writers or TPTB will never allow a mute masked character to have the lead role (which Snake-eyes deserve being the most popular character). Therefore, Snake-eyes will talk, and probably won't wear a mask until towards the very end of the movie.

13. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    A few of Bay's efforts were slated as well. Sommers may surprise us yet.

I know they're daft, but i like both both Mummy movies. Van Helsing... is decent so long as you don't think too hard about it.

14. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

I have to be honest. I'm not sure at all what the OP was trying to get at in his post...

15. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Wait!
    There is a GI Joe movie that doesn't exist yet?
    Let me get on the internet and talk about how bad it will be.

16. RedHeadKevin

RedHeadKevin Well-Known Member

I'm no more worried about Sommers as a director for GI Joe than I was for Bay directing Transformers. I usually don't worry about things like that, until I see the movie. I felt that Bay made a hell of a good movie of Transformers, even with any trepidation I had about him at first. I usually bitch about casting, or leaks about the scripts. For example: I read a rumor (I think on AICN) that Mark Wahlberg wasn't going to be playing Duke, or Flint, or Snake-Eyes, but GI Joe himself. I've also heard a disturbing rumor that Jason Statham was going to be playing Joe's British counterpart, "Action Man."

As much as I didn't like the changes they made to the G1 mythos of TF for the movie, I find the idea of doing this to GI Joe criminal. GI Joe, as known by damn near everyone who's going to see the movie, was "the code-name for America's daring, highly-trained special missions force. It's purpose: to defend human freedom against COBRA, a ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world. " If they stray too much from the classic cartoon (and to a lesser extent, the comic) mythos of the Joes, they'll alienate the entire "son of the 80's" demographic they should be going for.

By the way, if you don't like Sommers as a director, I found the best quote about one of his movies. THis was from a review of "Van Helsing," by Garth Franklin over on Dark Horizons:

"Sommers is like a kid who's just discovered masturbation, he just cannot control himself and has to keep doing things bigger, wilder and ultimately dumber - long past the point of reason or madness."

I read this 7 years ago, and i still LOL at it.

17. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

That sums it all up right there.

18. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

You saw Van Helsing in 2000...that must have been an advance advance copy lol.

19. deymasc

deymasc Well-Known Member

Here we go again with another post whining about the choice of movie director. It's a potential summer ACTION movie...therefore the studios will go with a director who has proven himself in that arena...that choice being Stephen Sommers this time.
    Everyone, well almost everyone, ragged on Michael Bay as the choice of director for Transformers...and look how that turned out.
    Stephen Sommers is a competent action film director, so let's just wait and see the end result before whining and passing judgement.
    The one thing I'd be worried about more than the choice of director, is the cast of characters that will be used and whether or not they include COBRA in the movie.
    That's my concern, whether the true source material will be used and not some whack ass "re-imagining".

20. Strikeback

Strikeback Drifting Away

Come on, there's nothing wrong with Stephen Sommers--the guy did "Deep Rising," for crying out loud! It's just that everyone sees "From the director of 'The Mummy'"and they're scared the Cobra troopers are going to be computer-generated and bumbling or something.