I don't understand the G1 Comics popularity

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Thundercrackers, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Thundercrackers

Thundercrackers Cybertonian Scholar

Ok, with all the excitement around the continuation of the old marvel comic, as an old cartoon fan who read the comic as a kid, I just need to ask.... and this is not me doing flame bait, I have nothing against fans of the comic, I really just don't get it....

.....what is with all the hype and love for the TF marvel comic? I get that it came first and it's writers help with the tec specs, but, I really have never been able to like it.

The Carwash of doom, enough time and universe hopping to make my head explode, the 'humans hate and fight the autobots' plot that I always hated and we rarely had to put up with in the cartoon, Prime getting beat up way more than he should, prime dying way more than he should, Prime letting himself die in a video game, and the mother of all angry mary-sues, circut breaker, who was so super-amazing-awesome that she was able to actually hurt Unicron.

And before I forget, Grimlock; one of my favorite Cartoon characters who in the 'toon rebelled against Prime once, then learned his lesson and didn't try again. A fairly likable dino, if a bit dumb- a very, very powerful character.

In the comic we had an angry idiot who made a golden crown for himself when he became the autobot leader, didn't give a crud about humanity, and spent his time as leader attacking his fellow autobots that didn't agree with him instead of fighting the decepticons. And he always fought with the other autobots and called them weak. I don't find jerk grimlock 'cool', 'compelling', 'a deep character', or 'badass', I just find him an unlikable idiot who makes me want to throw any comic I read with him in it in the trash can.

So what am I not getting? What is it about this comic that I'm not seeing. I dont want to attack anyone's childhoods or insult anyone. I just want to know.

Thank you.

2. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    Because its better than the cartoon

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well if nothing else, we're not 10 anymore?

Speaking of which, you know what I love about Circuit Breaker? I keep getting older, but she always stays the same age. :lol 

4. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it's popular due to there being more characterization in the characters, deeper and darker plot-lines (excluding Car Wash of Doom) and not everyone was one-dimensional.

5. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    The comic has a better developed storyline and the Decepticons are more of a threat in the comics

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    most of my love for it comes from the final 20 or so issues.

7. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker \/ /\

News Credits:
    Well, if I'm remembering right, the Marvel comics were the first piece of Transformers media. (Besides toys)

8. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    It was also less centralized on a few characters & spanned a much wider TF universe than the tv show could. It wasn't always as kiddy, and then there's always the aspect of the comics being physical pieces of art.

9. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    What are you not getting?

Everything.

10. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

The answer is simple, yet complex. To many fans, the Marvel Comics is where they started, the cartoon came later or as a side interest. The comics did things differently, they had to, they featured many more figures from the toyline, including Roadbuster and Whirl in the Marvel UK material, they had more opportunities to work in the characters and expand on them in meaningful ways. Or silly ways. It was the 80's, all the Marvel titles had something going for them that was silly at the time, I mean we're talking Squirrel Girl here.

Um, but I digress, also I think she was actually in the 90's.

Anyway, the Marvel Comics is filled with 80+ issues of stories, some of them weren't the best, but they tried, they experimented a bit. The results weren't always positive.

The fans of the comics HATE dumb-guy Grimlock from the cartoons because they were exposed to his smarter personality first and enjoy it quite immensely. However he isn't the best, some would liken him to an Anti-Hero at best if it were a super hero title. At worst, I think the writers just wanted someone to create strife amongst the Autobots so that the stories would be a bit meatier, perhaps even use it as an excuse to start the Space Opera style storytelling where the 'Cons and the 'Bots could leave Earth behind for a time and expand a bit into the realm of other worlds.

The other thing is, that the comic book creative team really understood that these were Sentient Robots, death was meaningless to them, you could kill off Optimus Prime, Starscream, Megatron, Skywarp or just about anybody and bring them back later on when the story could permit it. (Although most of the deaths in the comic are more directly caused by the mandate that Hasbro wanted to promote the new toys. And after a while you had like 200+ characters running around in the comics, if you didn't put some of them in the Death/Not-Death-But-Stasis-Locked category you'd be left with less chance to actually promote the latest batch of new products.)

Many of us can appreciate and love the Marvel series to death, it's not easy to explain really why, but hopefully this helps somewhat better than some of the responses this thread has garnerd at the off-set.

11. Thundercrackers

Thank you all for the insight, and thanks for the detailed response Scrapper6. I appreciate the imput from everyone. I guess it's just a matter of opinion and taste. I will never like the comics, but I can respect and appreciate that there are those who do.

12. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

Tcs:

I do like the G1 comic a lot, and the short answer is, all the stuff you don't like about it is the stuff that makes me like it. :)  I'm not saying you're wrong to dislike it, but that we like different stuff.

This actually includes Carwash of Doom and Micromaster wrestling, which are campy and silly and probably meant to be that way, so I like 'em. :)  Bob B. seemed to enjoy pitchforking the plot, now and again, to keep things from getting too heavy, and I like that.

Usually, the book's a little more complicated, it's less clear-cut, it lets the implications of things play out, and it rarely lets anything wrap up neatly. It can't, it's a comic; it comes out in a series, and has to get people hooked.

Plus, my buddy Skids totally scores, in the comic. Don't know how, don't want to know, but we're happy for ya, nerdbot. :) 

</topic>

S6:

Thou shalt not deny the supreme awesomeness of Squirrel Girl in particular or the Great Lakes Avengers in general. :lol  :lol 
    Even if she did lay a beating on my main Latverian.

*pours out drink in memory of Monkey Joe*

<topic>

13. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The comics had the opportunity to do more than the cartoon in terms of character and dialogue, just due to differences in the medium, and were better able to make ongoing storylines that were more complex (remember, this was the age of "everything must be wrapped up in 22 minutes"). It also wasn't afraid to kill off characters (boy HOWDY it wasn't afraid to do that) or to take them into territory that probably wouldn't have flown in the cartoon, such as Rodimus hiring bounty hunters and Ratchet making deals with Megatron to try and save his own skin (while at the same time dealing with his own set of ethics, man I love Warrior School).

Many of the stories, especially at the end of the series, were compelling, in-depth, and brought really enduring aspects to the franchise and a wide swath of characters that never got a chance to shine anywhere else. There were misses alongside the hits, but the good stuff was enough to really shine through.

I love the comics, and I wouldn't say they were better or worse than the original series, but I would say that they were able to capitalize on a lot of things their medium lent, that the animated series simply wouldn't have been able to.

If you're looking for a character to latch onto and love in the comics, look at Ratchet. He really got his spotlight in the marvel run.

14. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Combination of being one of the better examples of G1 as well as the usual nostalgia goggles.

15. NathanS

NathanS Well-Known Member

Simple VERY simple, tastes differ.

You don't like humans attacking Autobots or Budiansky take on Grimlock? Fine, doesn't make them objectively bad.

And in the US stuff there is VERY little universe and timeline stuff, that only shows up in the extended UK stuff, and yes it can be confusing, but again that doesn't make the stories bad. Also yes far from every comic was great, but I REALLY don't think a Toon fan has much right to complain about the Car Wash of Doom.

Also "mary-sues"

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

In conclusion, it didn't suit your tastes, that's cool, but hey what do you know other people have different tastes! Strange isn't it?

16. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Grimlock was lame in both comic and cartoon. Most overrated character ever.

17. Thundercrackers

Thanks again for your opinions and insights. As I already said in my post above, I guess it's just a matter of opinion and taste. I will never like the comics, but I can respect and appreciate that there are those who do

18. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    trypticon vs the dinobots....

fucking epic.

enough said.

19. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I never thought so.

I can see that.

20. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I don't get it either. I tried to read through some of the Marvel UK Transformer comics but the stories are stupid and the art is awful. They are not really that better than the cartoon. I still prefer the cartoon. Even as a kid I found the art awful, my Spiderman and Captain America comics looked much better at that time.

But I will try and see if I find maybe some comics that can convince me. I mean, there has to be some good comics and I probably just haven't found those stories yet. I expected at least the Best of UK comics that IDW just reprinted to be good. But as of now they failed to make me enjoy them.