I don't understand Marvel's new .1 stuff

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by davieanix, Jan 21, 2011.

1. davieanix

davieanix Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Okay so I had previously heard about Marvel's new numbering system for their issues, where getting a .1 comic means it's the start of a new story arc. That's all good and fine, but I just finished reading Wolverine #5 and need a little help. In the coming up section, it says something along the lines of Wolverine #6 is next month, as well as Wolverine #5.1

Should my local comic store get both of them in as per my subscription, or does the 5.1 start a new line?

How does it work exactly? Far out Marvel!

2. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I haven't read any yet, but from what I've seen they are meant to be jumping on points for new readers to get them up to speed with character and story. To make something that is at issue 600 less daunting to dive into.

3. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Yeah, they're standalone issues designed to appeal to new readers who want a clear jumping-on point for a comic. Odds are they won't work all that well, but with falling sales it's not a bad idea to do something to try and wrangle in a new crowd of fans.

4. Farrk

Farrk Well-Known Member

It's just where they've gone after issue 0 and -1.

It's stupid, but I only buy Marvel books in Omnibus format these days, so it won't effect me.