I... Don't think I like classics anymore!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by scubaboy31, Aug 19, 2011.

1. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Same here.
    I'll keep a couple things here and there, but it's the Classics that will likely stick around.

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

When I began collecting in 2007 (shortly after TFTM), I bought everything in that first year: G1, RID, Unicron Trilogy, Alternators, Universe, Classics, Movie, Animated, Masterpiece. It was very expensive and lacked focus. In early 2009, I started selling off lines entirely. I did this because I once asked myself what I would want to keep as I got older. Well, only Classics and MP remain. If I did away with Classics, there would only be a handful of figures left. At that point, I'd hardly be considered a collector. I still buy select figures from different lines, but I'm way more selective than I was in 2007 and 2008. I don't aspire to to have a huge collection, nor am I obsessed about completing lines. I just buy what I like and Classics is virtually my entire collection.

3. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    I'm the exact opposite. I've always prefered the actual looks of the G1 toys over the cartoon animation models :

In the cartoon, the robot modes omitted a lot of details which actually show
    specific evidence of the vehicle he's supposed to transform into. It never sat well with me how those simplified samey-looking block robots turned into very different vehicles.

The G1 toys depicted this differentiation between robotmodes a lot better and their quirky proportions were cool with me as well. That's why I liked Super Gobots too.

Anyway, after growing up with G1, the movieverse designs is what brought me back. Along with that I got some G1's and classics/universe. The classics Seekers are a great update to the G1 toy, but classics Megatron and Prime still pale compared to their G1 counterparts imo.

Even recent generations Wheeljack...although I do like what I see, I can't help but wonder about his potential, if he'd been given the proper altmode ; the newly updated Lancia Stratos ; instead of having to share the mold with Tracks :

[​IMG]

Then there's also G1 Dreadwind still proud on my desk. I loathe his classics version, which is just a repaint of the lackkuster classics Jetfire mold imo. Couldn't they be bothered to really give Dreadwind & Darkwing proper updates with the actual F16 and Tornado altmodes, respectively ?

I'm quite happy with the Megatron Chronicles on my desk ; a mint G1 reissue Megatron aside DOTM Megatron.

4. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm on the complete opposite side of the fence. While I've built up my collection of g1 stuff over the years with all the re-issues and such, outside of megs, prime, and rodimus prime I don't feel any emotional or sentimental value attached to any of the other ones I've collected. I actually feel very much on the borderline of wanting to sell all of those except for the 3 I mentioned.

As for classics, all of them, to me, feel like the 80's toys did back when I was a kid. I love how posable they are. I love the redesigns. I love the towering overpowered characters like city commander and upgraded hardhead. I love waiting for news or announcements or anything new being released in the line, and that one day randomly at the store when you find them. They have surpassed G1 for me.

I will always love g1 for getting me into the series and how awesome the toys were back then, but for me there is something better on the market now, and that's where my interest has shifted to.

5. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

Pretty much the same for me. I would probably also keep my Animated and Beast Wars stuff though. Everything else could go though. But Classics would definitely be the very last to go.

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I wouldn't say that it's destroyed my appreciation for G1. I wish I could collect G1, and I have, but it's such a long catalog of toys to preside over. That's probably the only line I'd drive myself crazy over in terms of completion. It's just less of a headache, not to mention less exhausting financially, to collect Classics et al. compared to G1.

7. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Im with ya. All those really got boring to me...

8. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    I used to not like classics due to the price for the early stuff. I started collecting during the 2.0 line. I am trying to get more into it now. But I am not getting the whole line just characters that I like.

9. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You've just hit the nail on the head. With the exception on movie stuff, Hasbro won't license anything. Instead we get these bland generic vehicles that sort of resemble something, but generally lack detail.

So they never would have given you what you want.

What I LOVE about the better movie toys, Alt/BT/Alternity and MP is the obsessive attention to detail and realism.

The other lines just don't have that. With the movie stuff winding up (very weakly) and about 1 MP a year, I'm suspicious I may be about done collecting (which is fine, I have way to many anyhow)..

That's actually something I like about the original G1 toys as well, even though they were blocky, they much closer to real vehicles than most of what we get now. They also tended to use a lot more paint, diecast and chrome.

10. rodimusprime2007

rodimusprime2007 Act Think Speak As If It Was Your Last Breath

Ebay:
    I really enjoy the Classic line. Pretty much have everyone since they started. The redesign to keep up with the times, yet the feeling of being back in 84 when I got my first TF is great. Ive narrowed down alot of my stuff. My Classics will always be here. I lost all my G1 stuff when I moved back from North Carolina. At the quanity I had and the prices they are now, Ill never be able to replace them. Well maybe when the kids are out of the house. Anyway I hope they keep coming out with more cool updated Classics.

11. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    I can understand a bit. G1 was stylish. But I do appreciate the new technology that goes into creating these new figures for Classics.

That being said my inner vulture states "PM me when you get rid of your Classics Skywarp."

12. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    Well then, how much for your Classics Jetfire and Voyager Optimus? :D 

13. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I'll sell you my classics jetfire

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I still do but in order to keep everything from breaking before the prices skyrocket is a chore.

Cyclonus, Inferno/Grapple, Warpath, Onslaught, Straxus/Skullgrin, Windcharger, Hound, Lugnut, Optimus Prime/ Ultra Magnus, Sideswipe and Bumblebee/Cliffjumper are epic figures.

15. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Breaking? I find most of my figures pretty damn durable. I have somewhat of a case of ham hands dropping them all the time and they still hold up.

16. sicklysunstorm

sicklysunstorm Member

I sold almost all my classics back in 2008/9 to fund my wedding... as much as I liked them, I didn't feel an attachment to them like I do with my MP collection. I had every classics figure available up til that time and only kept Hot Rod and henkei Hound + Ravage for their super-awesomeness. I only wish I'd kept the 3 seekers I had and Ultra Magnus so I could get the fansproject kit for him..... oh well. I will get it sorted one day at a vastly inflated cost compared to what I could have....

The MP line is what I concentrate on most and I've been more than happy of late with 2/3 figures a year if you count the Hasbro re-releases (which I do as I collect all variants possible). As much as MP10 looks like he'll be awesome, I do so wish they'd stop making MP Optimus' (Optimii??) now. I love that toy to death, but I'm sick of buying him in variants. They should look at a MP Galvatron or Soundwave IMO....

17. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    This.

Even reissues and classics aren't the end-all solution, namely because there's still a lot of characters that you'll have to dish out wads of cash to get a vintage toy of - and the ones that DO get reissued or updated, don't always hold my interest. Especially with Takara's habit of reissuing Convoy every year, reducing it's scarcity to almost nothing. I'm actually more keen on getting the reissue Pepsi Convoy for it's sheer novelty value. However, the prices have definitely gone down, not just because of the reissues but also because the generation that grew up with Transformers is more or less growing past the nostalgia phase, getting married, having kids and needing the money for other stuff.

This too. Reason I bought a G1 Scorponok. TWO of them, because getting all the missing accessories on the first one proved to be impossible!

18. twiztidRodimus

twiztidRodimus Shattered Glass Autobot

News Credits:
    The only beef I have with classics/Universe/Generations, are the scale, they seem a bit small at times. My BIS Rodimus looks small compared to my Generations Kup, its odd.And my thundercracker is small as well. But those three are the series I tend to look for more often than not.

19. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

I'll start off by saying that I absolutely love 90% of the Classicswhateveryoucallit figures.

However, I really do understand how the OP feels - I love the simplicity of the G1 figures, along with the feel of the diecast, rubber tires and vehicle mode accuracy...they just look so good when displayed. Also - to be honest - since they're so limited in their posablilty they're great to pick up and fiddle around with, then put easily back in their spot as if they had never been moved.

With my Classics dudes, once I find a great pose and find a way to squeeze them into the dislpay...they rarely ever get touched after that, and when they do - it usually takes some adjusting of the "surroundings" (i.e. other figures) to get them back into their proper spot, which occasionally can be time consuming.

20. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    It's figures like Rodimus, Scourge and Wreck-Gar that have me concerned.