I... Don't think I like classics anymore!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by scubaboy31, Aug 19, 2011.

1. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    Just wondering if anyone has been through the same thing.

Recently, I've been evaluating what my collection means to me, and how I'll continue to further it. As a result I've found that 99% of classics don't really evoke any kind of emotion in me. In fact, I don't really fing them to be what I really wanted them to be. In that 1% I do like is Cyclonus, he's an exact recreation of the cartoon model in posable toy form exactly want I wanted as a kid, but so many others fall into 'updates' and I don't think I really ever wanted that, despite many of them being excellent figures.

I've also got back into collecting G1 in a big way and that's probably having a huge effect on all this. Buying those old toys actually feels like I'm building a collection, and that they have some historical worth. There's an aestheitic quality I find lacking in modern toys. Funnily enough I'm really into the 86-88 stuff which is full on brick territory.

I love some modern stuff, I loved Alts, and will always pick up the Masteroiece stuff but classics just makes me feel like a kids toy collector, and don't make for a very interesting collection.

Anyone else feel like this?

2. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

I don't feel like this, but can't wait until I do, because I'm going to sell them and make a crapton of money.

3. blur3479

blur3479 Movie Prime Apologist

News Credits:
    Eh maybe I don't completely agree but I see your point

4. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll agree...

I do miss the shiny G1 Dinobots and G1 Prime's EASY transformation

5. blur3479

blur3479 Movie Prime Apologist

News Credits:
    I'll take a cliffjumper off your hands

6. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Nope

7. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    I cut back and just kept G1,Masterpiece and Alt/Binaltech.

I like the newer stuff but not as much as i used to.

8. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sucks to be you.

9. chrisr291

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    On second thought, what really tip the scale for me was the cost/condition comparison between the two.

G1 collecting SUCKED BALLS in the early 00's, most of you guys probably don't remember, but reissues were hard to come by. People would spend 100+ on G1 cars with broken/cracked roofs and HORRIBLE STICKERS. These toys were far from anything worth dumping cash on.

Teeth marks, random marker damage, and broken bits; Plus, ebay was no help. You had to send out money orders, so everyone was Mr. Internet Tough Guy when you complained about their jacked up C9 figure.

Classics was amazing when it first rolled out. Screw paying 45 dollars for a G1 Reissue Prowl, I'll get a modern version for 9.99 OR the Henkei for 19.99. Ahhh... the good old days.

I would like a G1 Collection again, but I'll be fine with Classics/3rd party figures until I hang up my collecting hat

10. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    I feel kind of the same way. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy collecting Classics, but it's not the same thing as collecting G1 IMHO. There is something about collecting lines that have come to pass. On top of having nostalgia attached to some of them, the range is established and clear cut. I mean I really like the fact that G1 had a definite end to it, made my checklist have a fixed goal. With Classics, you don't really have that, especially with all the unofficial stuff coming out.

11. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I like my Classics stuff. I didn't have a bunch of G1 toys back in the 80's, so the Classics suit me much better.

12. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Nope. Considering Classics has never been the main line, I count us as being damn lucky that it's still going at all, and getting so close to being the first series since G1 that has so many figures. To think it was -this- close to being cancelled altogether after the first couple of waves... Hasbro really did us a solid by keeping it going as a sub-line for so many years.

13. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :lol  Well put.

Well as funny as it would be to "shun the unbeliever" you certainly aren't alone in preferring G1s. Myself I have no interest and think Classics are cuddly and awesome. :) 

But then I also like movie toys, which really makes me a heretic.

14. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well generally speaking, I really don't stop liking anything that I buy, at least not to the point of wanting to liquidate it. I mean, even having to factor hassle & shipping, I would turn down just about any offer to get money back for what I paid, so I consider that as a sign that I made a good purchase.

However, if I ever got to the point that I wasn't into the stuff anymore (doubt this'll happen, but hey), then I know that I could sell then if I wanted, or even give it to younger family members in a few years once they're able to appreciate it.

15. Slip►Stream

Slip►Stream Seeker Clone

News Credits:
    nope, not at all.
    As much as I love my remaining G1 toys, they just don't appeal to me anymore.
    I don't collect stuff out of nostalgia alone.

16. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    heh, from the classics I've sold over the years (on the whole I tend to own them for a year then they move on, apart from Rodimus (I collect hot Rod) and Bumblebee who initially got to go with my alts, scale be damned.) I have never really made a huge amount of money off any of them. I've got £30-£50 at times for a figure but its nothing major. If you sold off your entire collection at once it would seem like a lt of cash, but not so much more than the intial investment. Maybe double the return?

Why? Because I'm not really into collecting them any more? They're still good toys, but they don't do that much for me after the initial 'new toy' phase. I'm happy moving on.

Man, early 90's collecting was horrible. I remember spending way to much on junkers... but at the same time got a lot out of rebuilding figures. prices these days are far better. Just bought a great condition complete G1 Cromedome for £20 BIN. So theres deals to be had. Also really enjoying peicing together a G1 Scorponok. Almost there, with just a few pieces to go. I suppose I could compare it to restoring a classic car. It's... satisfying in a way that 'MUST BUY NEW TOY... HUNT HUNT HUNT' isn't. It's a different kinda hunt. It feels like I've regained the hobby that I got into, rather than the obsessive grind I felt it was a few months ago.

Isn't it weird that in many respects it's cheaper to get some of the big ticket G1 stuff - stuff that has a cultural history within this fanbase ie: Overlord, Star Saber, than it is to get some of the bigger 3rd party stuff coming out. Hercules is gonna top any of those in cost and isn't even a 'real' transformer. How will we feel about stuff like that 5-10 years down the line? Will it still seem as cool?

17. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

I'm pretty much with you. I've really realized how boring G1/cartoon accuracy can be. "wow, it looks just like Prime always has in 90% of media....yawn." But at the same time, Armada/Energon/Cybertron has really grown on me. I like the interpretation of G1 characters without complete devotion to accuracy. Cybertron Galvatron is about 100x better than Classics Megatron, and the same hold true for a surprisingly large number of Classics toys.

18. Stryker055

Stryker055 Trying my best here!

Ebay:
    This is an excellent point.

I'm beginning to find the Classics aesthetic rather boring as of late, ever since I got Thundercracker. He looks great (until you notice the bulk), but that's about it. Wheeljack restored my interest as he is marvelous, but the Classics line is really getting a bit stale.

Also, I prefer to have new reimagninings of classic characters, much like (and I know I'll get stoned to death for this) the Unicron Trilogy. They had whole new looks and character, and the only constant was the premise: Autobots fighting Decepticons on Earth. Megatron, Prime, and Starscream didn't have to be G1 clones, and were thus more interesting (in concept, anyway). I'd love a Classics-esque line but for the Unicron Trilogy. Maybe in the next few years for its anniversery?

Besides, I'm much, much more interested in Prime toys.

19. chrisr291

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I think I'd be happy with just a complete set of Victory Transformers:bowdown: 

20. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    It's funny, I think the Classics stuff are better toys, but I find the G1 stuff is just more... I dunno. not better. just I enjoy buying it more. But that stuff is easily eclipsed by masterpieces which I love to bits and are the peak of my collection. It's not just nostalgia. I love my movie prime as it represents a big part of the franchise and is an awesome figure. Classics are maybe not as progressive as I like (Such as mainline stuff be it movie or animated, which furthers the brand) or nostalgic enough (like classics cyclonus that I mentioned. I'm not hugely fond of redesigns on toys, although I love them in comics. maybe i'd like both in toys classic and IDW style 2 packs... eh I'd just end up selling them. But I'd still buy em at first.)

Don't get me wrong I love stuff in the generations line like the WFC figure as it represents something I've never owned before. But I suppose with some of the classics stuff... I'll just get the original.