Customs: I don't see what you guys see

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Sabrina_Ng, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    I've got some problems visualizing what you people see in these parts. I'm sure many of you guys see many useful parts/kibble in these gundam parts for kitbashing or modding (in general). But apart from the fists and guns, all I'm seeing are loose gundam figures with not much use :( 

Can someone please align my vision with those here? Like what do they look out for in these parts when customizing or improving a figure. Again I stress the word 'in general' as it would be pretty much hard to put a finger on any specific custom as I'm sure most of you use'em for a wide range of purpose.

[ATT] 19096 [/Att]

[ATT] 19093 [/Att]

[ATT] 19094 [/Att]

[ATT] 19095 [/Att]

Attached Files:

2. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    mmmm. I see armor. HAHA. That is pretty general huh!!!

3. Sabrina_Ng

Ebay:
    Ahah! Ok ok. My bad. Maybe something more specific would be good for me to see things from another angle..All I see is colourful plastic!!! -_-'''

4. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Go look up some customs from Menchoy for inspiration, he uses Gundam parts to great effect.

5. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    There's a ton of goodies there Sabbs! Look past the weapons, armor and even the fists by themselves.

I was inspired by these forearms/fists here to make a custom Classics Soundwave: http://www.tfw2005.com/radicons-cus...e-ver20-brawn-or-soundwaveplease-read-166729/

Remember, an entire Gundam arm can be a leg for a smaller Transformers custom!

It's not just skin deep! Think of all the useful ball joints, posts, hinges, etc. in the stuff you have pictured! The mechanicals you have there are worth their weight in gold!

Now let's look beyond Transformers, those black devil wings would make quite a nice high tech set of armored wings for a custom batman (or Dark Knight, if you prefer)!

And in the abstract sense, there are parts you can practice techniques (paint, sculpting, panel scribing, etc) without ruining actual projects!

So, when I see abox of goodies like that all I an do is :drool: !!

6. Sabrina_Ng

Ebay:
    Hello Erech!! Hmmm..Menchoy, got a link or something? You mean most kitbasher dun really use Gundam parts for customization?

7. Sabrina_Ng

Ebay:
    Woah Big Hank! You literally took what I had in mind to text!! You're AMAZING! You're right once again. As I'm seeing these parts, all I see is their surface value. A hand is a hand and a leg is a leg. I'm trying to look beyond that to no avail. It's been 3 days since I'm staring at them yet, nothing inspires me thus this thread :( 

I'm sure other noobs like me feel the same way when it comes to kitbashing..

8. big hank

News Credits:

It can be frustrating not "seeing" what you're looking at, I know this all too well. If you were to, for example build a huge combiner (since it is all the rage right now) gluing some shoulder armor to a shield might make a great foundation for a Gestalt warrior's chest piece! Look at the shapes of the parts, not the part for what it is, if that makes sense. Not Gundams, but here is what I made from leftover "scraps" while working on my Legends Class Bruticus Minimus:http://www.tfw2005.com/radicons-cus...legends-jetfire--legends-starscream---166599/

Many folks might look at the scraps as useless. But I think you can find value in just about every part you have there!

However, if they don't inspire you, you can send them to me!!:D :lol 

9. Sabrina_Ng

Ebay:
    This sentence, "Look at the shapes of the parts, not the part for what it is, if that makes sense" is simply B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L!!!

I'll try to work on that. It makes the most sense to this simple mind. Great! Thanks for your input.

And ahah! I'll remember ya should I not want any parts. Sea shipping should be the most economical way right? I'll remember that! Thanks once again Big Hank!!!

10. big hank

News Credits:
    Any time I can help, my friend!:thumbs2: 

Take that most eloquent, wise-beyond-my-years, beautiful (am I sickening you yet?:crazy: ) statement and reverse the concept. If you have an idea in your head, break that idea up into its simplest component shapes, then start looking at your goodies for matches! You'll be surprised how much stuff you have that is exactly what you need!

As for simple minds, I have one too. I think it is a marked sign of higher intellect when you can simplify, or streamline your thoughts! I always say, "Break it down into the lowest common denominator." It's a fancy way of saying K.I.S.S. = keep it simple, stupid!:thumbs2: 

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
  12. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Sell them to me.

13. tformer0607

tformer0607 Home in CT!

Ebay:
    i see joints for unarticulated figures and arormor for people like roadbuster

14. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Gundam joints are sometimes the best around.
    The really big parts (made with better plastic) I've had similar and used some of the joints.

Also, look for the articulated hands, they are easy to mod and fit perfectly onto some of the deluxe sized figures.

I tend to be using"boxier" shapped gundams for kibble parts too though, sometimes, a flat piece of plastic intended for a rocket pack or chest will be a better choice than a plain square of styrene. There will also always be those "areas that look plain" where you can just glue on a smaller gundam part to add some cool robotic looking detail.

15. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yea Sbs, like everyone on here has said, all you need to do is look past the "junk" that you see. I remember long ago when I first started on the G1 prime cusatom Im workin on I used an entire 1/100 wing gundam to begin on a custom G1 Galvarton. Sometimes you dont need to use just parts, but the whole mech itself.

16. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Sorry to piggyback on this thread but it's a really simple question... where are you guys finding these Gundam hands? Are you buying entire Gundam figures and just salvaging the hands, or is there a place that sells just the hands?

17. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I used to build Gundam Models quite a bit about 10 years ago (still have a Master Grade kit that I've opened, but haven't used at all). I can assure you there are TONS of parts that can be used in Transformers kitbashes and customs. Here's a short list of parts that can come in VERY handy:

joints - you can find the usual ball joints in each kit, along with knee, leg, shoulder, ankle, and elbow/forearm joints that can be used to articulate your customs.

armor/parts - there are lots of bits that can be used, such as chest-type armor, front and side hip panels, and minor small parts that can be salvaged to use on various customs.

heads/body parts - some Gundam heads can be used to great effect (check out a recent custom by Spurt Reynolds--I believe he used one on his Roadbuster custom not long ago). Also, the single best part about these Gundam kits are the hands and wrist ball joints--depending on the size of your custom, these can liven them up instantly by giving either partial hand articulation or if you're good and want to go in-depth, full hand articulation. I used mostly Master Grade kits, so the hands available to me were closer to "voyager" size. I've also built smaller Gundam models (the sizes that had the hands used in F_R's recent Hound custom).

weapons - Need I say more? You can salvage some cool weapons from these kits or even use parts of weapons to build your own.

Hopefully this can help you out a bit. It may be hard to notice the usable parts at first glance, but I see treasure in what you posted in those pictures. There are tons of joints (ball and pin-type) that are used to put these things together (look at the waist of some of those pictured--there you can take these apart and salvage these joints and bits for use on deluxe and voyager sized TF customs. As it stands, I've revisited my Classics Galvatron from earlier this year and I've now added a lot more articulation to his head and hands (and even his arm cannon) simply by using these ball joints and hands. For his shoulder cannon, I used two shoulder joints and the parts they snap into as the base of his arm cannon--it snaps easily onto his arm and it is VERY solid and tight. Once I post the changes, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Anyway, good luck on these parts--and as big hank said, if they don't inspire you, send 'em on over. lol

18. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

For me, it's not so much "here's a box of junker pieces, what can I make?"

It's "I'm making this guy, I need this piece... what can I make it from?"

I can't really look at a box of Gundam parts and just see something to make. I pretty much have to be in the process of making something, and find something that suits my purpose.

That said, since I'm kind of stuck at the moment with my Arcee, I'm going to look around my old Wing kits for parts. Might even junk the Endless Waltz kits. Maybe.

19. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    exactly.

You'll need "parts" from time to time, and price wise, it's easier to bulk up on gundam fodder than Transformer fodder, most likely because gundams (used) are cheap.

I go onto several gundam/TF boards in the WST threads and look to buy parts/broken gundams. Lot of times, people send me a "box of gundams" where I will be able to pull a few sets of the hands from.

20. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:

Hit up the gallery :p  he's in the artist list in the sidebar. You can also steal just the joints to use instead of a whole limb.