i don't really don't get critics now,

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by sideswipe1, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Peter Cullen91

Peter Cullen91 Well-Known Member

Actually they hate robots that talk and actually have emotions. They always think robots should be mindless killing machines. Lame excuse if you ask me:crazy: . That would mean every piece of TF fiction would be hated by critics.

2. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:
    For whatever that is worth, critics or no critics, it all boils down to you. How you enjoy the movie and does it give you any satisfaction? If yes, great and good, money worth spending, if not, gripe abit and move on, there are tons of other movies out there to stimulate whatever senses you want to be stimulated.

There is more to life than to ponder/over-analyze what other ppl say.

3. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I take it you can quote a review that says that?

4. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    THe first Transformers movie and the Rock are Bays best movies according to rotten tomatoes but look at the rest of his movies.
    Michael Bay - Rotten Tomatoes Celebrity Profile
    You cant tell me you don't see a trend there

But like I said "who cares" as long is Bay is creating box office winners he will get to do whatever the hell he wants. Sometimes I will like it and sometimes I will hate it. My point is I don't feel that formally schooled film critics will ever be fans of his work, But I dont think bay even cares. Hes not not making movies for them.

5. Peter Cullen91

Best post I've seen here so far:) .

6. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No surprise, look at that list, it seems that the lowest the ratings the higher the box office gets.

It's like he knows some kind of ancient film-fu to piss off critics while harvesting money.

7. Peter Cullen91

"(Asian accent) I must seek the one known as Michael Bay so he may teach me this film-fu."

:p 

8. SlyTF

SlyTF Banned

The action wasnt that over the top, if you had car TFs fly that would be over the top! G1

9. tampa

tampa Member

mehh... if you enjoyed it, thats all it counts. Don’t worry about what critics have to say. Im happy with what bay delivered, Im just glad the movie didnt turn out like "Transmorphers" which is something i just discovered. If that’s the first you’ve herd about it, check it out lol…WHAT IF this was the movie we got instead of bays offering??

10. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    Could it be that 'critics' generally hate the idea of the possibility of some day having main characters in live action/cg films that are entirely voice acting + cg? Perhaps its the detachment from a real actor's face, and the prospect of advancements cgi is making in heavy strides, that irks them?

11. Peter Cullen91

I had the same exact thought.

12. MegaHavok

News Credits:
    I highly doubt it. When cgi characters are used well crictics havent hesitated to praise them. Look at gollum from lord of the rings. It's the lack of chracter depth in most of the transformers that makes them so silly they might as well not talk

13. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

Pretty sure that was Ebert's big problem with ROTF compared to TF1 (along with other issues he had). It's understandable to see where they're coming from, but I think it's a little silly to come from that perspective. I mean, as fans, we're coming from "OMG TFS SHOULD BE ON SCREEN 100,000,000% OF THE TIME!!!" and then start foaming at the mouth. It's obvious to us that TFs should be first and foremost. I would assume that John Q. Moviegoer, however, goes to a movie called "Transformers" to watch shit transform (crazy idea, no?). I think it's wrong to assume that the humans are the stars. They can like the human segments more, but I think it would be a good idea to start connecting with CGI and realize that technology CAN actually make you care about a character.

At the end of the day though, I'm in the "I don't care what the critics think either way." camp. I'll see a movie because I'm interested in seeing it. If my friends think it sucked or was boring, that might deter me, but I'll decide what I want to see and make up my mind on my own.

14. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Man this critic bashing like they have no relevance to anyone doesn't get old with you guys does it.

Perhaps you have the time and resources to research every film that comes out but most of us just can't look into every film that comes out. Thus a critic can point you towards a film you might enjoy but would have missed if it was not for a good review. Or perhaps you only want to watch one film that weekend but you have a few choices then critics can help you boil it down to which movie will give you the most bang for your buck or which film fits the mood you are in.

But hey lets just get rid of all the critics because you are mad they didn't like a film you liked. Sorry but critics have pointed me toward some pretty good films that didn't get a lot of advertising so they still provide a valuable service to people who want to pick movies based on more than just which film can bombard you with the most ads.

15. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

You are sitting in front of the greatest research tool man has ever invented. It is not hard to find a brief plot synopsis to see if it's the kind of thing that you like. Also you can see if your favorite actor, director are in it. It's really not hard to do some research rather than let someone else who will probably let their prejudices factor into their opinion.

16. MegaHavok

News Credits:
    I dont understand this logic at all. Did you think that way when you saw Aliens? or Terminator? or Predator? or king Kong? or the mummy? Just because a movie is named after something in no way implies it is the star of the movie and will carry the majority of the screen time.

17. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    Yes but are any of those coming from a 25+ year old established franchise that, even when humans have some type of focus, has given the characters the series/show/movie is named after heavy screentime, dialogue, constant interaction with humans, constant interaction with their own kind, constant interaction with the enemy faction of their own kind, majority focus? An occasional episode or comic book issue aside, in which the robots in disguise still received more dialogue/focus/interaction than both movies has given them, The Transformers have always been the main character cast until now. Yes, we do have rushed words between humans and the Autobots occasionally, or the observatory scene in the first film with the Autobots (short), or the Nemesis scenes in RotF, but the majority of the time its a vehicle sitting around very silently, maybe in a hanger like a line-up of display pieces for some reason. Or they're strolling around the background of a scene while the humans keep the focus. That's a big issue fans take, even non-hardcore-TF fans btw (many on my side & the wife's side of the family wonder why there isn't more of the Transformers in these Transformers movies). The issue being that while Transformers seem to have been the stars for so many years are being treated like Aliens or Predator or King Kong. It's the same ideal ol'Kevin Smith seems to spout. That the fact these robots get any focus and occasionally speak is dumb.

18. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Just a plot synopsis, the actors, and the director really doesn't tell you much about a film. If you just had those you'd think Indiana Jones 4 was a fantastic film, but then when you get reading the reviews you find out that while it has all the elements of an Indiana Jones film it just doesn't come together right.

I'd rather use the net to get the opinion of several different critics than to just go on if I liked an actor or director before then I'll always like them or if I didn't like them before then I'll never like them. Even Spielberg has done some of the best movies I've seen but he's also done some films I wish I had just passed on. Or what about new actors you haven't seen before?

Plus there is still the thing of smaller films you might have missed if it was not for critics saying here's a little film you don't want to miss.

Critics don't force anyone to do or not do anything but they suggest things you might have missed like a good movie, a cool TV show on a channel you don't normally watch, an out of the way little restaurant, a nice bottle wine, or any of the other things people get paid to be a critic of. They are just a research tool for you and you are still free to say I'd like to try that or I think I will pass.

19. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

And you know what? All that still tells me next to nothing about whether I'll enjoy the film. Example: Equilibrium is one of my all time favorite movies. Then I hear Kurt Wimmer is making a new film. William Fichtner will be in it. It's a sci-fi flick set in the future about vampires. That sounds awesome! Piece. Of. Shit. And if I'd read around some reviews, I'd have known that and saved myself £7.

Flip side of that: The Princess Bride. Stars no one I'm bothered about. Director I'm not interested in. The plot should be totally offputting to me. A fairytale with a framing story of a grandfather reading his grandson a story? Yeah, get back to me when Schwarzenegger is blowing shit up. Should be crap as far as I'm concerned. Except it's another of my all time favorites. Gee, if I ignored critics like you suggest, I'd be watching a lot of crap and missing a lot of gold.

20. Primesfist

Primesfist Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree that people dissed ROTF mainly because of Bay. Yes there are plotholes and cringeworthy moments but it didn't deserve the annihilation it received from critics. It does seem to be the trendy thing to do nowadays to diss Transformers.
    Will have to watch G.I Joe, but am guessing they borrow a lot of what TF has and still gets better reviews.