I Don't Need Your Civil War

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Rodimus, May 15, 2007.

1. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    It's not "blasphemy" to say that the G1 show sucked. It DID suck, but I still loved it. I just wasn't as aware of the level of suckiness back then.

By comparison, Armada sucked to a much greater extent.

I'm just glad we got decent toys as a result of both shows. The toys were what truly made me a fan, not the show.

And on the thread topic, calling quibbles between fans "civil war" is gross exaggeration. Over 600,000 people died in the US Civil War. No one's been killed arguing over TFs to date, that I'm aware of.

2. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    3 Things:

1) I stopped reading the movie forum because it is so argumentative.

2) I like almost every series and toyline from the entire TF timeline, so I'm a pretty happy fellow too busy buying stuff to argue.

3) No matter what the argument, just remember that rap music recently gave us the single most devastating debating tactic and logic argument ever concieved by mankind - an argument that can devestate any opponent in any argument, at any time:

"I'm hot cuz I'm fly, you ain't cuz you not."

There is no coming back from being the target of this brutal and solid debating tactical phrase.

3. Slamdance

Slamdance The Sustainable 'Bot

Gotta agree with what Voiceroy said above. Also in the same vein though, some people can't afford to collect the toys, and so only have the show to fall back. And if armada for example is what is being offered at the time, thats what people will watch. Beaty is in the eye of the beholder as they say in the biz.

4. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The diversity causes opinions and you can't please everyone. There are so many things that make the different series so.....DIFFERENT. I enjoy them for what they are but I have my own ways of merging the time lines and I'm entitiled to that opinion of the way things are.

5. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We're soooo not the only fandom with unbelievable arguments like the ones here.

Comic book fans are a given, down to 'eras' of writers/artists. Star Trek has all the various series arguments. Localization discussions are in other places too: Macross vs Robotech is another often-ugly throwdown, along with Super Sentai vs Power Rangers.

And music discussion can draw the flames of rawr out of even the most level-headed individual.

Not diving into it and screaming at people is really not a bad thing, either. I'd say it's preferable, actually. :) 

6. Rodimus Primal

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Marvel used to give "no Price" to fans who fixed continuity issues without Marvel having to explain it themselves. We see it all the time nowadays with new writers coming in and retconning everything.

7. Mixmaster

Mixmaster 4F 68 A0 54 69 74 73 21

News Credits:
    "Your power hungry sellin' soldiers in a... human grocery store"

People take these toys and the accompanying fiction way to seriously. For me this is a distraction from more tedious things, but isn't that important in the greater scheme of things.

8. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't visit other fandoms much so I can't say for certain, but since we are all human, I'd say most famdoms are the same.

TakaraTomy has this fan community thing going in Japan (not going when it comes to Transformers community, but that's another story), and there was this guy who posted in both TF and Zoid communities, whinging about scales all the time.
    Memebers in TF community were sort of indifferent, maybe a couple of replies. But in Zoid community, everyone was on his case telling him off for filling the board with his "personal delusions" etc. I was like OMG those Zoid fans are rabid :lol 

9. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    For the answer, you have to look at the big picture and then look for the root cause. Big picture, people are divisive no matter what fandom you look at. Even sports fans. Root cause, people are wired for confrontation. It's in our nature to cause conflict. It's the reason we will never have world peace.

10. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

As far as I am concerned sit back and watch the stupidity, its a lot more fun then trying to fight it off and a lot less annoying too.

11. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Correction: It was "No-Prize". And the prize was that there was no prize except getting your letter printed in the lettercol, and thus the joke.

I actually "won" a No-Prize during the original Marvel TF comics run. Can't remember the exact issue...somewhere between ish 50-70 that I got a letter printed pointing out a nitpicky error involving Jetfire. I've been a nitpicker ever since.

12. Draco Prime

Draco Prime Autobot

Why do fans cause a civil war between each other. Cause we have nothing better to do. But really, there are fans and those that have nothing better to do then fight with each other on who has/knows/and complains alot.

I'll settle this damn war now!!
    Lets all eat some PI, Pi-Delta-Pi that is. (Revenge of the Nerds)

Fred "The Ogre" Palowakski, Alpha Beta: Thanks wimp, get yourself one!

13. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

funny. I cool thing would be a Tf multiverse civil war, done properly

14. Draco Prime

Draco Prime Autobot

Lets just all get along and eat some PI

15. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me, one of the reasons is due to the "experimenting" by Hasbro. For example...the concept of Beast Machines. We have fans that love it and on one extreme we have fans who hate it until they threaten the lives of the lives of the writers.

16. Rodimus Primal

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Well that's what I meant. Thanks for the correction. IT's things just like that which people become....TOO nitpicky. The line in Beast Machines where Primal says "When the Transformers first came to Cybertron" is like a throwaway line other than the fact that they DID have to learn to Transform.

17. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

News Credits:

Did you write the one about how he could catch humans without hurting them? I remember one for which a no-prize was awarded for explaining how hard TF fists hurt, but when they catch a falling human they are not hurt because the insides or palms or their hands would be softer.

I was watching something about Marvel the other day and they mentioned the no-prizes. The narrator said Marvel would actually send out empty envelopes to the recipients of no-prizes and those envelopes are now collectors items. Did you even get the envelope?

18. Pride21

Pride21 Honor Wisdom Virtue

We by nature have thoughts/opinions/beliefs no matter the subject so there for from that comes conflict due to other peoples views.It is the natural order of things good bad or indifferent.

19. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

I don't get the fighting either. This board is definitely not as bad as other various fan communities, and every other fan board has a splintering in the type of stuff they like. I used to post on a TMNT MB, and they went crazy if you insulted the original show. it was insane.

As far as transformers goes. My first and favorite will always be beast wars. I just like it more then everything that came before, and after. I always will. not to say that I don't like the others though.

20. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

Without reading the entire thread, I'll say that fandom civil wars are par for the course. I'm not really involved in the Star Wars fandom, but from some of the message boards I can see they have their prequel vs. classic trilogy fans. GI Joe has vintage vs. new sculpt figure fans. ANd of course we have Beast haters, Movie haters, etc etc.

I don't let it get to me these days, I'm at the point where fandom infighting gives me a rash.