I Don't Need Your Civil War

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Rodimus, May 15, 2007.

1. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

Guns N Roses said best. It seems every time I come onto the message boards I can't help but hear that song in my head. Why is our fandom so divisive? Why can't we agree on anything? Why are our fans always at each others throats?

I ask because it seems other fandoms don't have this identity crisis. So why do we have a civil war?

My theory is that it's because Hasbro has changed Transformers into so many different mythologies, continuities, and incarnations that the franchise itself has an identity crisis. And there for Transformers might be something different to everybody here.

For example, how many people are here just becaues of Beast Wars and Beast Wars alone? How many of you all got into Transformers because of a series such as Beast Wars?

I use Beast Wars as an example because it's dynamics are so different than what had gone before it, and starting with that show, the dynamics continued to change from each following series which probaly resulted in that identity crisis. There was no formula any more. All the key elements with exception to the mode changing gimic itself got thrown out the window. Each different series has it's own different formula/elements.

What do you think? Why can't we ever agree on anything and why does it look like our fandom has a Civil War?

2. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't know why they are like that either. It's funny, if you say something negative, or point out a fault in something, instead of a fan of that item getting mad at the company that made it, or just passing it off as opinion, they get mad at you for pointing it out.

Still, there is that whole internet thing that people are anonymous so they talk like they have a 3 IQ or like jackasses. A lot of time there opinions are stated as fact and they use slander to get there points across, so that just heats up temper. I can't agree with you though that other fandom does not do this- I am pretty sure most forums for almost anything with a strong fanbase get pretty heated. Where there are bunch of people with a passion for something, that just happens.

3. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    it feeds the rich and it buries the poah-wuhr!

we are fans. fans like to bitch. bitching is fun. some ppl take it seriously. some do not. i like pie.

4. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It happens in all fandoms. Like with comics, you get, say, Marvel vs. Dc. And within each side, theres several factions. Visit the DC boards, particularly the Green Lantern or Flash boards, and you'll see far worse arguments and flaming than any you'll ever see here.

5. Simian

Simian Biscuits and Gravy....???

News Credits:
    Don't have much to say about this...

But I think that song would be great for the film...since...ya know...the Autobots and Decipticons kinda brought their civil war to us....

6. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    Pie sux I hate you 4-evar!

7. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

I think it's because for a group of adults to still be talking about what is effectively a toy line, we need to be a bit obsessive about things.

8. The Crazy Collector

The Crazy Collector Well, that's just Prime! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    No way! KA is the AWSOME!1!!!!1!! You suxxor and um, pies are good! And stuff...

9. gunman_sr5

gunman_sr5 Energon Station Comander

News Credits:
    I would say its because of how several serieses have been created, and we have different generations here. This is all part of the reason Transformers have stayed sucesfull.

10. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    And stuff? Yeah, like, the mostest insane comeback evar. I feel teh shame, indeeds I do. Stuff....

11. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

Because the internet has bred too many posturing cowards who delight in an anonimity that allows them to pour out the hatreds they can't express in 'real life'?

Bit like all this "Bay hate" really. Don't like his films? More power to you. But how laying into the man as a person changes one iota of what he is, what he does or how you perceive him is beyond me.
    I insult all sorts of people in the privacy of my own home with only my family and the four walls to hear me, but here I wouldn't do it.

12. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    aw come on, dissing bay is fun!

its not like, itll dent his bank account or nuthin. the man gets paid by how well his movies does at the box office, and he does pretty well, considering the island, which did decent was considered a stinker.

13. redsquadron

Fair enough, but too many people wear their "Bay Hate" on their sleeve as some form of elitist status symbol.

14. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    [Oblivion]
    We should all get some Calming Pants.
    [/Oblivion]

15. redsquadron

Women already have "control pants"....

16. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it stems from the (standard internet) trend of new members joining the community and believing they have some incredible insight into things that others have not heard of or thought about.

When challenged, they cry foul and generate a lot of hostility--usually accusing the non-angsty, non-argumentative folks of just "taking whatever Hasbro/Takara/Michael Bay gives you"; when in fact it's a matter of recognizing that all the nerd-rage in the world isn't going to change the movie or the toys, so why be a stick-in-the-mud to others?

We get a new one of these about every 6-8 months or so, and they either get banned or just fade away; the TF community seems to be pretty self-purging in that respect. Don't let them ruin your experience on the boards; as others have said, I hear it's a lot worse elsewhere and in other fandoms.

17. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Calming Pants will fortify your Personality by 8 points. You can use this Personality bonus to attempt to nullify the 'Control Pants'.

18. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I think you answered your own question Rodimus when you said about being about the different generations being a large part of it. It's the misconcepting of many fans who leap before they lurk to assume:
    1. Wow a TF community, didn't know there was one of those. Cool! I'll sign up.
    2. Wait, what do you mean you don't love/hate the same generation, character, toys that I do? I thought we we all fans here. Why are people so mean and complain so much about something they like? The reason I joined this community in the first place was to talk about something I like that I can't with other people I know and now all I see are threads bashing what I like and people calling me weird for liking what I like. Oh yeah, well, you too you #%$^! Flame war insues.

And ALL fandoms suffer this. Some more than others because they'd have more incarnations, but ALL fandoms suffer this. I lurked enough on other sites to know.

But you know what, I still love this fandom. Because for better or worse it's MY fandom. No I don't like or defend everything that goes on in it, but I take it for what it is, the good and the bad. There are other boards I lurk at that deal with my other interests, and a few others I belong to, but at the end of the day the TF boards are the ones I enjoy being a part of most becuase I love TFs the best. And there is a certain peace that comes with that oddly enough, one that gives you a certain sense of humor. Because I think a sense of humor is one of the best things you can have on a message board. You enjoy yourself instead of getting mad. It's great to be able to think "so and so's at it again" or "not another thread on this" and be able to shake your head, smile, and let it pass (for the most part because y'know some things just won't be tolerated.:wink:  )

19. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Do not diss the pie!!!

20. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

[​IMG]

This is unfortunately the formula at work in this case :redface2: 

Part of the problem as I see it is "sense of entitlement"...Now hear me out before you go off on me. 1 common thing I've noticed from anyone who tends to bash the other TF serials or to get more recent the movie. Is that their posts have a strong tone of this "sense of entitlement". They start posting their stats in the following manner " I have X number of figures, have dropped X amount of dollars so I know what I'm talking about". And when called out it, these people take it hardcore high. A few years back when Sonic X was a new series on 4Kids, the Sonic fanbase would flame 4Kids in ways that mirror how some of the Transformers fanbase attacks the movie. Including bomb and death threats for daring to edit Sonic X to adhere to US standards and to make it more enjoyable for the kids who 4Kids targeted the show towards.

Another problem as I see it is the desire that some people have to bash the other serials just because they aren't G1. The recent "Why Armada sucked" thread comes to mind. I mean really it's not necessary, if I retorted with a "Why G1 sucked" thread it'd be consider blasphemy. It's why I don't bash the other shows because GUARENTEED what ever aspect you bash one show for, that same apect exists/existed in your favorite TF show too