I don't know how to catch up!!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Starscream'sSis, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Starscream'sSis

Starscream'sSis Ravage! Bad Kitty!

I was totally obsessed with the original (G1) cartoon when I was 11-14. I saw the movie, had the comics, and created and drew my own characters (all in secret, because I didn't want to be the only girl at school into robots!) Then, to my dismay, the series suddenly ended one day(Luckily Star Trek TNG started, so I found a new show).
    Last week I went and saw the new movie and I was terribly disappointed in it, but I have started watching the old cartoons again and I still love them so much! Now I see, though, that I have missed 20 years of Transformers series and it is a bit overwhelming. I tried watching Transformers:Cybertron and it did nothing for me.
    I was wondering if any of the other G1 devotees have found another Transformers series that captures the spirit of the original?

2. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Beast Wars was an excellent TV series. I don't know about "the spirit of the original", as it was not the 30 minute toy commercial that G1 was. Great stories and character development though.

3. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    lol at ur sig

welcome to the forum!

4. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Beast Wars is a fantastic show, you should definitely check it out.

5. Starscream'sSis

ha-ha! I managed to watch G1 without buying one toy! (though I am marrying into a nice collection of originals). So that is 2 votes for Beast Wars, guess I will have to check it out...if I can find it!

6. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    All three seasons are out on dvd. They were released awhile ago, so they're not really easy to find, but not impossible.

Whatever you do, avoid the Energon series like the plague. Terrible, terrible show.

7. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    Armada wasn't all that great, either. RID was ok, but quite a bit different if you've only known G1.

Have you checked out any of the dubbed Japanese G1 stuff, like Headmasters and Victory?

8. Starscream'sSis

I have not seen Headmaster or Victory, perhaps I can catch some clips on Youtube to see if I like either if them. I just bought the G1 series, so that will luckily keep me busy for a bit. Of course, now I hear Sony is putting out NEW G1 DVD's and I work at Sony, so I should have waited, dang it.

9. cannabisprime

cannabisprime Well-Known Member

Definitely check out Beast Wars as well as Galaxy Force..

10. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    You sound just like me when I was a teen (I was 15 when it started), but it wasn't really a secret - among my family and friends, anyway! I did the same as you, tho I also had the audacity to do a script and send it to Sunbow and Marvel. :D 

Beast Wars is where you should start, and if you're interested in the old Japanese stuff the dubs at TFCog.net are good. Victory is the one that most captures the 'G1 feeling'.

Headmasters is utter hilarity, tho, and not the good kind.

--Moony

11. optimusprime72

optimusprime72 Autobot Leader

Yep, ditto. Beast Wars and the follow up Beast Machines is about the best and only decent thing you are going to find. They at least follow some of the Gen 1 lore. Not much but close. You do get to see Prime and Megs and some of the Autobots, as well as Unicron's head and Starscream's ghost pops by. Other than that, I'm sorry, but that's it. The Robots in disguise show was okay but to campy, with the big anime eyes and all. Energon and Armada were aimed at little kids so you probably won't like them either. Good luck!

www.myspace.com/autobotsletsroll

12. Los

Los Now you see me...

Ebay:
    I grew up during G1 and finally got around to watching Beast Wars last year. Lots of G1 references towards the end. Although I watch it while I worked, I really liked it. Never saw Beast Machines though.

13. aey103

aey103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah like almost everyone has said, Beast Wars. I remember when it first started when I was in college and wasn't that into Transformers anymore but I remember I really hated the idea of the Transformers being realistic animals...I was a Trukk not monkey guy. A few years later I saw some of the episodes somewhere and was an immediate convert. Of course those episodes I saw were the ones with the G1 charecters still in stasis lock, none the less the other episodes I saw when I got the DVD sets are also really great. Amazing what a good story could do.

14. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

Sorry but the original is over & gone! Time moves forward NOT backwards. Just buy the complete G1 series & the 1986 movie on dvd & be done with it. There's nothing here for you anymore. If you didn't like the new movie or Cybertron then there's no hope for you! Like so many other G1 purists before you, if you're unable to adapt to the newer stuff it's pretty much over for you. I'm not being mean, that's just the way it is. You may like Beast Wars because of the G1 references but other than that just walk away & forget about Transformers.

15. Moonscream

News Credits:
    Give the girl a chance before you come at her with this attitude. GEEZ!

--Moony

16. Starscream'sSis

HAHAHAHAH thanks for sticking up for me!
    it's ok, he's just mad that I don't like his favorite show, Cybertron, so he has to diss my preferences. It probably IS over for me...I am an old 1980's model and updates are futile. Or maybe he is just jealous that he didn't grow up during G1:dunce 

17. Moonscream

News Credits:
    Well you don't have to jump into all the newer stuff at once if you don't want to anyway. That might turn your brain to mush. ;)  Hasbro. com has some compressed episodes of some of the shows, too, if you want to browse some of them that way. They used to have full episodes back when Energon was on, but not anymore. Oh, if you try to watch Armada, keep in mind the first half can be eye-clawingly bad, but the second half is supposed to be pretty darned good. I've only seen a few eps from each half, but there definately is a big difference.

--Moony

18. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

Hmm, Transformers Victory ( Japanese G1) was one of the best. Lots of people will suggest Beast Wars. Car Robots was good IMO, but not everyone likes it. It came out in 2000 and is also a Japanese series, dubbed into english as Robots in Disguise in 2001. Armada has it's haters and it's lovers... me I really enjoyed it.

19. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    Welcome to the boards!

I recommend the the Jap G1 cartoons (Victory, Masterforce, etc) and Beasties/Wars/Machines definately worth watching. Can't wait to see what G1 toys your fiance has waiting for you.

20. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

Personally, I'd recommend reading the current IDW comics. It gives you a more mature and realistic retake of G1 under the seasoned hand of Simon Furman whom you might recognise from later issues of the US comic, and alot of the Uk exclusive stories. Since it is a new reinvention of G1, there are lots of familiar faces and ideas, so in terms of capturing the spirit of the original, the IDW way is definitely the way to go, especially if you are just restarting out since the books are still ongoing and early stories have been collected in nice neat Trade Paperbacks (TPB), readily available at your nearest comic store.

For the Trades, I'd recommend following this order:

Infiltration
    Stormbringer
    Spotlight
    Escalation

That should bring you up to speed to most of the IDW stories. From there you can either collect the individual issues as they come out like myself, or wait for the stories to be collected in TPBs later.

To be honest though, the Dreamwave comics were much closer to the original G1 than the IDW comics borrowing alot of elemets from both the caroons and the comics. But since Dreamwave went under before they could finish their continuity, I'd reccomend not delving too much into their stories given the incomplete nature of their continuity. However, I would still reccomend the War Within I story from the Dreamwave line-up as it is a fairly good read and rather self contained.

EDIT: In terms of shows, I'd recommend Beast Wars as well