i dont know how im going to pull it off.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rumble02, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

So at work we are all having to do a sweeps piece and mine is on how alzhiemers affects the texas panhandle and im supposed to dig deep into the reality of the disease and what not. Most of the stories i do are on the entertainment beat and when i do a serious story it is usally something i have no personal issues with so i can do the job and not take it home with me. but this one is working me over because as many of you know my father has alzhiemers. Ive been writing the piece and logging the interviews but i keep getting upset with it and sad and its really hittting me that my dad is most likely going end up in the home with all these other people who dont even know their own name. Argh. I DONT KNOW IF I CAN DO THIS AND DO IT RIGHT.

2. sketchprowl

sketchprowl freak of nature

I know that you don't know me but I want to offer you my support, (My Gran had dementia before she died) mental disease is very hard on the whole family. Hang in there and remember your not alone.

3. Rumble02

thank you

4. taterx

taterx Lurkin since Transfandom

You can do a lot of good sharing your story w/ the folks who read it. I'm sure you family would tell you as much. Soldier on, you'll get through the other side of this a better writer and stronger person. Good luck.

5. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My mother was diagnosed with Alzhiemers this year, so I understand how you're feeling... I read up on it and I was literally in tears by the end of the article because of what it can do to people, because I see it happening to her already and it tears me up inside.

Truthfully, as hard as this seems, I say you keep going with this. You are in the position to give a frank and truthful report on this, and perhaps you'll come out of it at the end with a better understanding and be more prepared for what's to come.

Good luck to you buddy.

6. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Wow man, talk about an uncomfortable position.

Sounds like you have all the research materials you need but almost can't do it becasue it will only remind you of what may come.
    Hang in there man, just in case your father ends up in a home (I hope he does'nt ) , you'll be glad you researched all of this as it will be very helpful for you in the future.

My grandma ended up in a home, but she made some good friends there. She was just mad becasue they would'nt let her use any type of fire for cooking and cigs. lol
    I made her a huge picture album of her family and it helped alot for awhile, but eventually she forgot who I was. Then her son died and it did'nt even phase her.
    Finally she realized what happened and let go and may her soul rest in piece.

I was almost glad she had alzhiemers becasue if she knew what was going on in her absence she'd be devastated. But yeah, she actually liked the home. My aunt wanted to bring her home, she she wanted to stay. It's actually kind of nice when your old with sypmtoms and have other's close by to relate with.
    It's probably hard on a man to sit at home, but hardly able to do anything. You know how it is when we feel helpless, it sucks. Going to home's is like that last chance seniors have to be a kid again. They even have pudding lol

I think you can do this, and when it's done and no one's watching, let the tears fly. Id probably try to bottle it all in til it's over, then go hide somewhere
    Work project or not, this will be some good info to have just for the sake of it.
    Hope you can stay strong for the presentation and many prayers for your father, I wish him the best.

You're a good person with a great heart, so it'll most likely get too you somehow.
    This will help you gain strength for the future though, like when your trying to keep your cool when your little girl get's her first car, or giving her away for marriage.

7. Rumble02

Well i finished the package and it airs tonight. Ill post the link later when they put it up on the web and yall can let me know if i did the story justice. Unfornately the way the package went we cant air all of it on tv so the web gets the long version but has no cg locators so it may look a little different than your normals news pack

8. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    Congratulations on getting it done. I look forward to viewing it.

9. Rumble02

10. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    my grandmother died from it... seems like my mom has it she kept calling me her
    brother which has been dead since 83

11. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

12. Rumble02

you should get her checked out and look into prescription airicept

13. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    just ask them to hand the story to someone else. you have very good reason not to do it, and they have no right to make you.

14. Rumble02

story is done. and aired. and they didnt force me to do it, but knew i had plenty of contacts and connection to do a good job.

15. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just watched the video, and I just wanted to say good job to you buddy... It must have been so hard, but you handled it well.

16. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Good job R02....I know that had to be tough, but look at it this way, you're report may have helped and/or educated someone on the subject, and that is always a good thing.

17. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    she has a drs apt monday.. thanks rumble

i know it's only a movie it's shown on hallmark or you can get the movie
    called Sacrifices of the Heart with melissa gilbert and ken howard
    ken slowly gets alzheimer's disease, thinking his daughter is someone else
    i watch it every time it's on

18. sketchprowl

sketchprowl freak of nature

Just watched your report...exceptional...well done, thank you for making people more aware.

19. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    just saw the report. You did a great job on this piece. :thumb 

20. Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister Cat + Sinister = TROUBLE

I tip my hat to you for being able to soldier on and do this piece. I don't think I could've kept it together long enough to finish, but you did a great job.