I don't get something....

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Alucard77, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I finally saw this POS this morning. I could go on and on how craptastical this movie is, but I personally don't consider this a TFer movie. I consider it some space invasion movie with characters that happen to Transform and share names with my childhood TFers. But it is all a coincidence.

Having said that. I don't get who the target market is for this movie. On one hand you have characters acting like complete idiots, which I figure would make kids 10 and below laugh. On the other hand you have curses thrown around like nothing. I mean, what curse wasn't used in this one. Then let's add gangster style murders.

Nice.

My only problem is, if your going PG13/R, then go all the way. Make the characters more believable and get rid of 7 year old kid jokes. Maybe I look at this differently because I am a parent, but I would like movies made for kids not use clucster fuck, asshole and so on.

2. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dude, don't worry, it's completely normal to not understand the devil goes inside Michael Bay's head.

I doubt he knows either.

3. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

This is transformers, even BW and TFP [the two darkest TF incarnations alongside the movies] had comic relief in it, you can argue whether the comic relief was well-done or not, but wanting to remove it completely makes no sense.

Transformers isn't, never was, and never will be a dense drama of deppression [and I'm happy for it].

4. Alucard77

News Credits:
    The thing that upsets me is how it is justified by his damn profits.

All you need to do is make stuff blow up and make billions. Screw the script.

5. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I believe they are called IDW comics. Show me comic relief in last stand of the wreckers or anything else they write. Guess what, it is pretty good without it. Kinda depressing though.

Also, did you think that was comic relief? Really? If that is comic relief, then we are in trouble. You can do comic relief, but at least make it age appropriate for your target audience, if you knew who that was exactly.

Unless Michael Bay wants the 7 year olds of the world going to school saying, this is one major cluster fuck!

6. Overlord Balder

Your Mileage May Vary [as the Tvtropes would say], some people thought the story was very well-developed, had solid characters and good dialogue.

Even THEY had comic relief.
    Regardless, most IDW Comics are too dark for my taste [I can take dark stuff mind you, but not on Transformers].

You may have a point, but you're also exaggerating here, its not like people walk around saying "FUCK YOU MOTHERFUCKAAAR" in the film, I only remember two explicit curses [Sam's "fuuck" and..something else].

7. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I literally just saw the movie like 30 minutes ago.

These are the curses I heard:
    - Dick
    - Cluster F
    - Asshole
    - Fuck
    - Shit

I could go back and listen again, but I rather save 2 1/2 hours of my life. Like I said, I may be a bit more sensitive now since I have a child, but trust me it was there and it was there a bunch.

As for the story, just cause it's there, doesn't make it good. LOL. Is there some reward to putting words together that make sense and make a story and some characters? I am not expecting something compelling here, but it definately is craptastic! It has a plot, however paper thin and a bunch of stuff blows up. Same as the other 2 bayformers. I for one am happy to be done with them.

If they were titled something else, and did not shit on original characters then I would be fine.

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I can only imagine they were trying to appeal to as broad an audience as possible, from kids with parents to teens and adults, and basically failed on all accounts in the attempt due to some sort of a "jack of all trades, master of none" situation.

I agree that the content was a little much for children, especially small children, but I frown more on the shots of people getting popped like bloodbaloons than the cursewords. I guess you could argue there was some pretty racy sexual material too, in terms of a movie for kids.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  9. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Yup, that's what I mean. It's like, this is made for your kids. MFers! Just explain to them that blondes are hot and they like to bang in the bathroom. Peeping Tom robots are OK, and "humorous". Being vaporized is okay and so on.

I would just go in expecting the violence, it's the rest that catches you off guard.

10. Overlord Balder

Fair enough.

People have different opinions and different analysis of the plot, YOU for example, found it crappy and horrible, I for example, found it very-well written, here, let me exemplify with a long analysis I did once:

The thread's author was a troll, in case you're asking why I was so harsh with my words.

You probably think I just wrote a bunch of bullshit, but again, people have different views on this movie's plot, nothing here is set in stone, you think the plot is awful and just an excuse for action, I think otherwise.

Different interpretations equal shitting on a character since when? Elaborate, please.

11. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    I find it difficult to take a deep cinematic analysis seriously when it's coming from someone who can't spell storyarc.

12. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Yeah, to each their own. I have seen literally thousands of movies so I would tend to be more judgemental between what would make a plot good or bad.

TBH, the plot itself wasn't horrible if you were going to pitch it to me. It's more the writing that stunk. It's like SW 1-3 (the new ones), the plots rock, but the writing is horrific. That takes away from the whole movie watching experience.

As for the characters, I started a different thread on that. It is not consistent with who Megatron and Starscream is by a long shot. That's for starters.

13. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    You sound a bit overly sensitive.

14. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    :popcorn 

15. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

It appeals to a fairly broad audience. Kids, albeit some of the questionable content, are such a huge part of the draw. Then you have grown ass men wanting to relive their childhoods, casual Transformer fans, general moviegoers that are looking for something to do for 154 minutes, people that are super enthusiastic about summer blockbusters, hardcore man-children wanting something that they can simultaneously love and hate, and the parents/wives/girlfriends/husbands/boyfriends of fans that were dragged to the theater against their will. Whatever your fucking motiviation or reasoning is, Paramount has your money.

16. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I get summer blockbusters, and some are actually really great. I am just off put when a summer blockbuster goes down the cursing road as much as this did.

Like you said, summer blockbusters go from 10-70. This is just the first summer block buster to go the cursing route that I recall. Most 10 year olds are constantly exposed to equal amounts of sex and violence as was seen in this.

17. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I I find it difficult to take seriously spelling nazis who still spell the relevant word wrong (it's two words; story arc)

:wink: 

EDIT: Silly me, I repeated the word "I" at the front of my sentence. Well that's egg on my face.

18. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Cool, don't take people seriously on the internet.

19. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Did you ever watch Terminator 2? That was also a summer blockbuster with loads of profanity. Rated differently and marketed to a more mature audience, but still. Or is your issue more with summer blockbusters that are geared to broader audiences?

20. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Yes, but the rating is what matters. I think having kids changed me in this regard.

I will say, fine there is cursing since this is PG13, but please explain what damn 13yo would think any type of humor done here was funny? This is humor for 7 yo.