I don't get it.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nachtsider, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
  2. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

HELL YEAH!

that was a dumb move on their part.

3. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

The article you quote mentions that after the aborted attack on the Dutch warship EU naval forces tracked down the pirates in question, disarmed them and destroyed their vessels. I'm pretty sure their remit does not allow them a hunt-to-kill policy (nor would a US naval team), even if they are allowed to respond with force when challenged.

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Oh, yes, I'm aware that they were disarmed and that their skiffs were destroyed. But they were also allowed to leave with their mothership. It's only going to be a matter of time before that mothership's back on the high seas crowded with armed men again.

And about that barring of hunting to kill? Unless something's done to amend that, I doubt the piracy problem will ever be halted anytime soon. Unless the pirates are convinced that the cons of hijacking ships far, far outweigh the pros, they won't stop. Only a display of overwhelming force will be convincing enough, says I.

5. DeathsHead

But having tracked them down, they can't just kill them in cold blood. Or do you mean that they should be detained?

Do EU Naval vessels have powers of arrest/detention in Somali waters? I'm going to guess no. Either that or the Somali government is too weak or corrupt to be able to deal with prisoners given to them by passing warships, so they don't bother.

Anyone know?

6. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Even if you're of the less bloodthirsty persuasion, you ought to settle for detainment, at the very least. Anything to prevent these clowns from keeping up their mischief. And as far as I'm aware, the Somali government is practically non-existent.

7. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    The Pirates should have been detained all there ships sunk then dropped off close enough to shore so they could swim to land. Until there ships are all smashed and they begin to lose money due to equipment loss they won't stop its too profitable.

8. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    The Independent did a fascinating story on the Somali pirates about a year ago. Among the factors that have led to this situation is the dumping of nuclear waste in Somali waters by the Italian mafia(!). Makes you realise what a crazy, mixed up world we're living in.

Johann Hari: You are being lied to about pirates - Johann Hari, Commentators - The Independent

9. DeathsHead

But therin lies the problem. Where and how are these guys detained if the Somali authorities can take no responsibility for them? On ship? The international legal ramifications for such detentions are also substantial.

As to more 'bloodthirsty' ideas - our various World Police (TM) will find themselves in more hot water if they move from defending themselves against aggression to actually hunting down and killing anybody they feel is a possible future threat.

Great article BTW Bumblethumper

10. Maloknazh

Maloknazh Black Metal Ist Krieg

Ebay:
    Modern Day Pirates.

Ive seen it all.

11. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

If only Sharktopus was there...
    [​IMG]

They picked the wrong ship indeed. Man we need some good real-world villians, this shit is pathetic.

12. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am sick of this crap.
    An attack on a warship is an act of war (at least i thought it was.)

but no, we gotta go follow them, then talk, offer tea and cakes and psychoanalyze it and then maybe get to the point of enforcing the law.

heck, the pirate that was captured after the Maersk Alabama incident was laughing and smiling (i think he had a joygasm) because he got shipped to America to face a trial that was like living in luxury compared to being free in Somalia.

This is why i am not a fan of the UN.
    it takes 300 committees to weave through to get something done.

if i build a 2000 foot long warship that has a 1990 foot long sign running both sides that says, "shoot me, go ahead. Davy Jones is Lonely" can i cruise Pirate Alley out there?

that way any idiot that tries, dies and we have safer waters.

just an observation, but has anyone noticed the only people that don't play and are dead serious about how they handle being attacked are the people we criticize as being evil?

i feel a shift in polarities here.
    for the record, i am not a fan of it.