I don't get it.

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Lunar_Convoy, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Lunar_Convoy

Lunar_Convoy Special Ops Captain

Why is there some TF fans that absolutely hate this show and think G1 is so much better? I mean I myself grew up on G1 and it will always have a place in my heart, but I find Beast Wars and Animated to be more enjoyable because of the character development and most importantly the CONTINUITY. I mean seriously, they had three different origins on how the Constructicons were made.

1. In "Heavy Metal War" Megatron says he built them on Earth.

2. In "The Secret of Omega Supreme" they were friends with everyone's favorite guardian robot until Megatron used some sort of device to turn them into Decepticons. This contradicts the first origin

3. In "Five Faces of Darkness" the constructicons where the ones who built Megatron.......I believe I've made my point here.

Not to mention characters would "die" and somehow come back with no explanation.

Also there were the animation errors...hoo boy did it have a lot of them, but I'm not going to name any.

Then there was the problem if them almost having every single toy appearing in the cartoon which left room for little character development except for characters like Optimus Prime, Megatron, and Starscream, probably for the intent of Hasbro of getting kids to buy the toys. Don't get me wrong, there WAS character development, but I don't think enough of it.

Now I'm not saying animated is perfect, everything has it's flaws (lame human villians) but I don't see HOW TF fans can hate it. I mean THE VERY FIRST THING THEY DO IS SHOW G1 FOOTAGE and there is also references to G1 and other TF serries within some of the characters (like Prime not knowing where his trailer goes) and EVERY SINGLE EPISODE for the most part. Also they take some characters from G1 and improve them greatly then their past counter parts.

Ex: Megatron isn't a ego maniacal idiot and is not afraid to kick some serious ass when the Autobots fight back.

Starscream isn't a whiner and actually secedes in backstabbing Megatron UNOTICED, and is not afraid to go the front of the firing line. Not to mention he whopped the Autobot's cans in the first episode BY HIMSELF, therefore posing an actual THREAT to not only the Autobots but Megatron himself.

I could go on but everything else has been probably said a hundred times before. With all these references and improvements on the characters themselves, it just doesn't make sense for any TF fan to hate animated. Sure it's different, sure I prefer G1 prime but animated prime is definitely worthy of the name, and sure that some characters might be a little different but I believe for the better. It just doesn't make sense to me why some TF fans hate this show...I just don't get it...if any one can tell me, please let me know because it just doesn't make sense.

2. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Change Megatron's "built" to "Re-built" and everything in G1 fits. And this has been nailed down in TF geewun lore pretty extensively.

3. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But the chins, man, THE CHINS!!!! :wink: 

4. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Simple.

Opinion. Some people have different ones.

5. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This. Take note of this, folks, and this thread will end well. :) 

6. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    So you are saying opinions are like that other body part? Everybody has one?

Say it isn't so!?! :D 

7. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    "We'll just have to agree to disagree."

. "I won't agree to THAT!"

8. Lockdown

Lockdown Bootey Hunter

News Credits:
    But not all opinions are equal........

9. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I believe most people dislike the style of animation because it takes away from the possibilities of the series feeling "mature". People want their Transformers to be mature, to be dark and gritty war machines (because, you know, they're fighting a WAR).

Problem is Hasbro has to sell the toys, so they have to market them via the animation and hope for the best.

Some hate it because it just looks and feels too much like a "little kids line". And it does, it really does. But some people enjoy a good story, and Animated has one hell of a story to it, and it makes the toys that we buy feel so much more real.

I could go on, but you either love it for the same reason that everyone else loves it, or you hate it for one of about a billion reasons.

10. Chaos Sorcerer

Chaos Sorcerer Well-Known Member

Well, speaking from someone who really doesnt like animated (more on this in a minute), I certainly dont think G1 is better (aside from the artistic style). The G1 cartoon with few excepticons is really pretty bad, and if you dont view it either as nostalgia or enjoy it for what it is (a campy cartoon), it's just not that good.

That said, my 2 biggest problems with Animated are first and foremost, the art style. I just cant get into it at all. I personally dont find it an appealing asthetic and in my eyes the toys are a giant step back from the 2 years of awesome I just got between classics and the movie line. First and foremost to me are the toys, and i find this line to be wholely unappealing due to being malproportioned and too "cartoony". I dont think they're horrible toys (with the exception of Blitzwing).. like any line some are better than others from an engineering standpoint, but on the whole they seem reasonably well designed. I just dont like the designs, myself.... and if i can't get into the toys, i can't get into the line that much. The media is secondary to me.

My other problem with the show is the fact that it's basically (at least several of the eps i caught) "The adventures of Sari and her McGuffin.. and some Autobots." When it actuallly focuses on the titular *Transformers*, it's a very entertaining show. It just seems to follow the same trend as the anime garbage that came before it and the kid(s) are *way* too important to the central storyline.

But worse than G1? Not even close. Lordy, that show is bad. :lol 

11. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    You need to watch more episodes of the show then Chaos, as there are a great many episodes where Sari is hardly the focus.

12. Legless Pete

Legless Pete Chairman Kaga

She really becomes a more minor character in season two. It's one thing to not like the show, but to complain about things that have already been fixed is silly. And don't claim ignorance, this is the internet, for chrissakes, we have an entire wiki devoted to this!

13. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    In his defense, not everyone reads everything, especially if you aren't interested in it to begin with.

I personally stick by the fact that G1 was great for its time, and that Animated is great for the now, not to mention having some of the best writing on a TF series in ages. The one liners are great, especially anything that comes out of Starscream's brigade.

14. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I think we get both of that. We get the dark mature angle from the comics and sometines the shows (Beast Wars). I donĀ“t complain.

15. SuzyPrime

SuzyPrime The friendly lurker

Agreed.

I think these comparisons are pointless pissing contests. You can hate G1 all you want, but there are three indisputable facts:

1) G1 has had a significant effect on culture, and an entire generation of kids.
    2) G1 spawned millions of loyal fans around the world, which have given the franchise its longevity.
    3) Without G1, there would be no TFA, or anything else Transformers for that matter.

In 20 years, if they're still making TFA toys and cartoon series and live-action movies, you can come whack me in the head with a dead fish. Of course, by then we'll all be dead because the Singularity will have occurred and real robots will have taken over the Earth.

16. Chaos Sorcerer

Chaos Sorcerer Well-Known Member

Sol pretty much nailed it. Why would i scour a wiki on something that i wasn't interested in? That's not ignorance, it's indifference. If season two fixes it, then in my eyes the show's probably improved and may warrent a second look, but first impressions tend to be lasting. It didn't appeal to me when i watched due to the reason i stated, so I no longer followed it. If she's marginalized in season two, perhaps I'll pick up the season DVDs when they come out and give it another go.

17. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    I think the main issue people have is the animation style.

Myself, I like the style, and the fact that the toys look and feel so different than the norm.

18. swarlock

swarlock Autobot Supporter

Personally I do. And if they don't like it. I'm OK with that. As I've written elsewhere I really don't like every TF show that's come out.

That being said. I liked G1 then and now and like Animated as well. :) 

19. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Technically they didnt.You can interpret it that way but they never really gave more then 1 origin.Here let me explain while answering what you posted.

True....but built does not mean "CREATED".Just because he built them on earth does not mean that they were created on earth.

It could also mean that he built them "NEW BODIES" on earth.

It only contradicts the first origin if you assume that he ment he created them on earth.

The word "Built" can have many applications.

Not really because if they did exsist on Cybertron then there's no reason why they couldnt participated in the building of Megatron.

Also there's no reason to believe that the team of constructions that were shown "building" Megatron were the same team that would later come to earth.

There were 8 Constructions surrounding the table that Megatron was on and the team that came to earth only had 6 members.

I know that none of this was in the minds of the G1 show producers but ZI thought I would just add my 2 cents:drunk 

Got no answer for that one.

20. Sunstorm9119

Sunstorm9119 RC 1136

Ebay:
    IDK, when I first saw TFA, i absolutely HATED the animation style. The stories were alright, just the look of the bots didn't work for me. Then as I watched it some more, it grew on me, right up until the orgasmic moment they introduced my namesake in "A spacebridge too far".

Ok Hasbro, I like the show now, so don't f**k it up and not make a toy of Sunstorm,alright.....