I don't get G1 collecting

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Snark, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Before I begin, I would like to state, in no uncertain terms, this is not an attack on those who collect G1. It's your money, you can do whatever you like with it.

That said, I really don't understand the appeal of collecting old G1 stuff. I can understand the nostalgia, but that still doesn't change the fact that they're poorly articulated toys from the 80s, many of whom have far superior updates in the form of Classics. I remember when I bought a G1 Thundercracker a few years back, and honestly, lost interest in him after like 2 minutes.

So what's the appeal for you? Again, I'd like to emphasise I don't intend to insult G1 collectors, it's just it's the one aspect of the fandom that I genuinely don't understand the appeal of, and would like to know more about.

2. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    It's mainly nostalgia for most collectors, I think. Playing with the same toy that was your favorite as a kid just brings back memories, man.

3. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For us older collectors who played with G1s as children, there's nothing like having the stuff from your childhood that you always wanted but never got.

4. transformers32

transformers32 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The same thing you say about the toys now will be said 20 years from now. Why did you collect or why do you still collect them? G1 is the reason we have the toys now. They did what they could with what they had back then.

5. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Speaking for myself, I don't buy G1's unless they are reissues. Mainly due to price. But I do own a few like Jazz, Soundwave and Megatron and all were bought for nostalgia purposes. Jazz was my first ever Transformer. Megatron was the first "big" one I got at Christmas. Soundwave...well, he's Soundwave. One of my all time favs and I buy all different instances of him. I also bought a re-issue of Predaking and that's because he was always the "holy grail" for me when I was a kid. So it's pretty much a nostalgia thing for me.

6. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    If you can understand the nostalgia you are halfway there. As a kid I wanted all the toys in the 1986 UK catalog, now I have them and that makes me a happy inner child.

Your point about having many superior updates answers itself. If Hasbro didn't make Transformers from 1984-2005 (dawn of classics), do you think the Classics toys would have looked so good? Or do you think every toy that came out was a rung on the ladder?
    Sure, technology would have improved in that time independently of the Transformers, but HasTak engineers have learned something new every step of the way and that is all part of the Transformers legacy which has brought us to where we are now.
    Transformers are like science, there is no wasted motion; even a shit toy teaches the future generations what not to do.

7. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's the nostalgia dude. Nothing more or less.

8. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    *stumbles into thread*

Hmmm ... this seems familiar ...

*Looks at own signature*

Shameless plug.

9. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    You don't need any other reason beyond nostalgia. It's a very strong emotion. You could be nostalgic for a pet rock, just because it doesn't do anything, doesn't mean it's not valid to that individual.

10. 2punish&enslave

2punish&enslave Starscream's Brigade

Ebay:
    When I see the G1 toys it reminds me of being a kid and playing with those old toys with my best friend in his grandparents' living room. Those were some of the happiest days of my life. Sounds corny but it's true.

G1 toys to me are not "poorly articulated toys from the 80's" at all. I think they're pretty freakin awesome. Look at Megatron. He's a pistol and a rifle and a robot. Look at Jetfire with all of his armor on. Totally awesome toy. How about Trypticon. He's a giant T-Rex that turns into a base for your Decepticons and oh yeah he walks too. I could go on and on. The 84 and 85 lines are the classics for me. After 85 there is still some good stuff but there is also a lot of crap.

I don't view the "Classics" line as being superior updates at all in most cases. For one thing they're all plastic. The old toys were a mix of metal and plastic. I like metal. I look at a lot of them such as Optimus, Megatron, the seekers, Soundwave etc. and I'd rather have the G1 toys any day over the new ones. Some of the Classics are cooler which I will concede such as Kup and Warpath. For the most part when I view the Classics line though they look like cheap KOs of the G1 line. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though.

Apart from the toys themselves though I LOVE the boxes from the G1 toys. To me they are works of art. I love being able to display loose figs along with their boxes. There is nothing special about the new packaging at all because they want to keep costs down I'm sure.

11. TFao

TFao Well-Known Member

Sorta like playing old NES/Atari/Arcade games, PURE nostalgia.

It cannot be compared head to head with the technology of today (toys or video games), but it holds it's own special place for each individual. Some more special than others.

12. Matty

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    This is definitely a great point. We even do it now for things FIVE years ago!

13. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yep. I dont collect G1, but I get it. Holding a plastic trinket in your hand that you did 30 years ago is the only true time machine.

You can never go back...but you can at least hold something from then, And if you are holding it...its 1984 dude.

14. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    They are pieces of history...

15. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This I can understand if it's the actual toy you had from your childhood as opposed to simply buying a reissue or someone else's. I have a lot of love for the Jazz I dug out of storage because he was the actual toy I played with as an eight year old, as opposed to my Thundercracker reissue who is simply that guy I regret wasting money on.

16. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Mainly goes down to nostalgia, but some are better than future figures.

Armada Tidal Wave is a brick, I have G1 figures that are better then that figure. I can't turn the head of ROTF Dirt Boss, I can turn G1 Kickback's head in a full 360. Armada Galvatron can't pull off a walking pose, I can at least pull that off with G1 Prime.

17. Matty

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    You simply don't have the attachment to the toys then. I don't necessarily think this is a G1 thing; do you ever feel like you wasted money on a movie toy or something similar and was like WTF?

18. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    "simple" does not mean "bad".

That's pretty much it. There's good stuff in G1.

19. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I don't really collect them, but I can see the appeal. A lot of them are a lot higher quality in construction than today's toys, and the focus is on the Transformation being fun and intuitive, rather than a chore like certain toys nowadays.

20. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    G1 figures are great. I really like to be able to look at modern Classics figures side by side with their G1 counterparts. There's just something awesome about it.