I don't care for the Predacon symbol

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Rexidus, May 16, 2012.

1. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm finally admitting to myself that I don't particularly care for the Predacon symbol. The Maximal symbol is pretty cool but the Preds is just meh. I think they should have had like a dinosaur head or something. Perhaps a T-Rex-ish head roaring ala Thundercats.

Just thought I'd share.

2. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

I think it is one of the weaker symbols too.
    Generally, faction symbols are quite bold and simple, yet the Pred symbol is busy by comparison.

I'm not a fan of the Dinobot badge either due to it being in profile.

3. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    Yeah the Maximal symbol was a wolf-ish head. The Predacons just had a fly head. Haha just a funny thought here, but Soundwave and Prowl were to be the G1 leaders and the symbols were based off their faces. Perhaps Waspinator was early stage leader since the symbol is based off his beast-mode head?

Though officially, Razowclaw founded the faction which further adds to the mystery of its meaning....

4. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    The Pred symbol is my favorite, if mostly because all the TFs I had as a kid had it, though I do like my insects.

I wonder, if the Autobot and Decepticon insignia are based on particular TFs (Prowl and Soundwave, respectively), is the same true for Maximals and Predacons? Cheetor (mutant head) and Waspinator, perhaps?

5. mrdecepticon

mrdecepticon Decepticon Leader

I knew that the Autobot and Decepticon symbols where somewhat based off of their heads but where they intending them to be the leader originally???

6. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think so. Look at G1 Soundwave's head vs the Decepticon symbol.

7. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sorry to hear that, man

8. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

And for the Autobots; Prowl with their G1 symbol.

The Last Autobot doesn't count since he came AFTER the symbol.

9. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think the Predacon insignia is as cool looking as the Maximal one either.

I also don't like the movie versions of the Autobot/Decepticon insignias as much as the traditional ones.

10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I agree about the Predacon symbol completely. Why would the former Decepticons choose a bug head for their new symbol?

But I don't think the Maximal symbol was any great shakes either. They were both kind of weak, imo. Luckily, the show was great enough to compensate for the weak symbols a hundred times over.

11. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I think Soundwave was intended to be the Con leader at one point. There's early art of Optimus fighting Soundwave.

12. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

The only faction symbol I haven't used as an avatar yet is the Predacon one because I think that it doesn't look very cool at all.

13. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The biggest deficiency of the Pred symbol IMO is it's less stylized/abstract than most other faction symbols (at the time), and is pretty much just a bug face, compared to the Maximal symbol which feels more like an animalistic adaptation of previous 'face' insignia.

14. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

I hate it. It's too ugly. And unrelated to my opinion on it, the Scammers in Futurama Benders Game look like it.

15. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Never really been fond. You have a proud faction of fierce warriors and they choose a bug head as their logo. Needed something with teeth to really feel like the Predacons were actually - well - predatory. It doesn't even have to be a recognisable animal, it just needs to look dangerous and maybe have fangs. A snake might've been cool but GI Joe's Cobra already took that option. The bug logo just makes me feel they might occasionally give someone Malaria, which although a big killer doesn't probably evoke fear on the battlefield. And bugs get squished and/or swatted. How serious can you take a warrior when it has a squishy/swatty animal as their faction symbol? Are they supposed to be like some kind of swarm ravaging the landscape?
    Maybe a nice claw logo that looks like it's ripping the armour of the warrior wearing it. That would've been cool.

The Maximal logo was pretty meh too. It probably wasn't meant to be but it always looked like a fox to me. I suppose a lion would've been too obvious and if they'd gone that route I'd have felt that was lame too. Perhaps a wing or pair of wings might've seemed more heroic.

I think it's just the specifics of the animals used for the logos that didn't do it for me, whereas a claw and a wing are a little less specific but still animally and evoke more feelings of the nature of the person wearing it.

16. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't think a wing would have been good. The symbols should be faces.

17. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree. There's nothing cool or menacing about the Pred logo. However, the more stylized version of the logo that Megatron wears as a chest-plate in his Transmetal form looks plenty evil.

[​IMG]

It got rid of those buggy antenna, made the eyes smaller, and now the bug mouth looks like a cow skull or something. This is what the Pred logo should've been from the start.

18. Cybermnky

Cybermnky Well-Known Member

His chest was meant to be the Trex head...

19. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Uh, that isn't a logo. It's kibble.

20. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    Why is it a bug head? Because Insects/Arachnids made up the majority of the forms of the early toys, and the theme carried through the TM, Fuzors and TM2 lines.

What out-of-canon reasoning do we have for it?

Some would argue that the Tripredacus Council are reformatted Insecticons who are planning to take over Cybertron. I don't necessarily agree, but its one of the ideas out there.

I think the Pred logo has more in common with the Decepticon logo than the Maximal one does with the Autobot insignia. Perhaps it's just a progression f the symbol over the 300 years after the war.