I dont Buy Third Party Because...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by deaculpa, Dec 24, 2011.

1. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    Im feeling philosophical today, and i was wondering.....

I always see posts from people saying they dont buy third party.
    Its cool, suit yourself, but is this completely because you feel its immoral from a copyright infringement perspective? I dont want to assume, but I'm almost willing to bet that 90% of us have pirated music on our computers, so it just seems like a strange place to draw that moral line. Why such loyalty to Hasbro/Takara?
    Please, enlighten me/us on the why. Again, no disrespect because it doesnt bother me a lick what you buy.

"What you eat dont make me sh*t."
    - Jay Z

2. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, the only reason I don't buy third party is because of the prices. I'm currently trying to collect the entire Prime toyline (plus ten of each type of Vehicon), and the Dark of the Moon Wreckers (including repaints), so I just don't have the money to spare on them. Although I think I might cave soon and buy Hercules Dr. Crank. I'm not all that interested in the other Hercules figures, but I love his crane mode!

3. Zendai

Zendai Minicon Addict

I generally do not buy them because of the price, however I will be getting the Dinosaur combiner.

4. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos New Holder of the Matrix of Leakership

News Credits:
    It's part price, part there is nothing I like (as I am not a fan of G1). Right now I am on the fence for the Not-Dinobots. If FOC gives us good dinobots, or Not-Dino cost I ton, I will pass. but if they are a decent price. I will get them.

5. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, I've given up on MOST 3rd party stuff. I just brought Huffer and Seaspray, but paying 600 bucks for Devastator really scared me off.

So, I decided to buy Vintage MIB G1's instead:lol 

6. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    But you ARE assuming. Nobody, much less 90% of everybody, has given you any reason to believe they have pirated music. It being "cool" or widespread or whatever doesn't in anyway mean nearly everybody (or even just everybody claiming to be morally against 3rd Party stuff) is doing it.

7. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I buy them, but I would venture to guess that a majority is because of the money that they cost, or the fact that most of them are G1 related (and they are not into G1), or that Hasbro has IMO done a pretty damn good job at giving us a significant amount of classic figs. I was perfectly happy with my US Classics but decided to purchase FP City Commander. That purchase took me quite a few days to take the jump, asking myself "Is it really worth buying a toy for $75"? That was my biggest purchase at the time, and it has been downhill since. Third party stuff is a very slippery slope, and I don't think a lot of collectors care to go down it (and I don't blame them). Hasbro has given us some great figures over the past few years, and there is no real need to buy third party stuff to feel that you have a complete collection. I personally like em, but a classics display/collection without them is pretty damn fulfilling as well. Different strokes for different folks, thats what makes the world go round.

As far as music goes, itunes just makes it too simple and convenient for me, plus I would probably be the asshole who got caught pirating music. But that is a discussion for another day.

8. Ecmagee1984

Ecmagee1984 Big E

Ebay:
    The price but if there was something I wanted I wouldn't mine spending the cash.

9. daytimeninja

daytimeninja Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think many people refrain from buying 3rd party because of copyright infringement.

I buy 3rd party, but only certain things. I will never buy something that's meant to be a clone of a HasTak item, or purposely look as close to one as possible, such as what iGear does. I buy things such as Fansproject not-insecticons because they have their own aesthetic and look to them, even though they're somewhat modeled after a HasTak item. I also purchase add-ons such as FP Protector and Maketoys BattleTanker.

I do honestly think for most people who don't buy 3rd party, it's because of price, or the simple fact that they don't want to have these items in their collection.

10. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't buy 3rd party because of price and the fact that I don't like G1 enough to buy anything beyond the deluxe price point.

11. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    for me its the price, i have bought a grand total of one 3rd party product and that is Headrobots: Cobra Headrobot to give my headless G1 Scorponok a head. and its well worth the price.

12. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

Simply put, I'd prefer to buy something official than something unofficial. I buy Transformers, which is a Hasbro and Takara property.

I take the same mentality with "Third Party" products as I do with creating my personal customs: I'll buy what I know Hasbro and Takara isn't going to make. Which has amounted to, so far, as the City Commander set, G3 Trailer, and Protector set. Also, the Gear of War accessory set.

13. omegafix

omegafix Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    agree 100% with this statement.

14. AMG

AMG Old School

The prices, plain and simple. While I feel a lot of third party stuff looks great, I can't justify the prices enough to make a purchase. It's just not worth it to me.

15. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    the reason I didn't buy third party (before I started doing it) was simply that I thought the quality would be bad. (bad experiences with KOs). It had nothing to do with "piracy" as most third party products are figures HasTak aren't going to do.

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I don't buy Third Party because the product does not justify the price. I could buy a figure of equal size and quality from Has/Tak for a fraction of the cost.

17. shumworld

shumworld Well-Known Member

I won't deny the fact that I want to own both Hercules and the other custom Devastator set. but the price really turned me off.

18. daytimeninja

daytimeninja Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wouldn't agree with that. Sure the price is more, but when buying from high quality manufacturers such as Fansproject/Maketoys, Headrobots I can with positivity say that the quality in their products is MUCH better than that of HasTak.

I obviously can't say the same for other companies.

19. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    $$$$$$$
    i can buy entire waves of Hasbro for the cost of a single 3rd party figure.

i like what they are putting out and do want.
    just can't drop that kind of dime at once for a single figure.

20. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I don't buy #rd party because.

1.) Too expensive
    2.) Not enough appeal to me
    3.) Not official
    4.) Have to buy online