I don't buy the "smaller figures" thing.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by bellpeppers, Aug 2, 2012.

1. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Peopel look at FoC Optimus and balk at his size (and ultimately price).
    Then we get into long, heated discussions about "it's the economy, stupid". Cost of oil, inflation calculations, this that and the other from armchair experts that populate the internet.

But look at FoC Jazz: he aint that small. What- did oil drilling and the economy just improve for him?

Of course not.

Look at Movie Voyager Ironhide. In 2007 his truck mode was bigger than DOTM. But look at robot modes- they are fairly close in size.

And F/R has commented that the FoC Combaticons are a healthy size.

So I don't really buy the whole "shrinking figure" thing. And if some figures are smaller than others, then simply conclude "Because Hasbro made them that way".

Don't have to like it. Just know that's the choice they made and move on.

2. BlueAngel_Bolt

BlueAngel_Bolt I'M REALLY FEELING IT

News Credits:
    I don't care about the size, as long as they're fun figures. And if the prices go up I'll still collect, but i'll just slow my pace down a bit if money becomes an issue.

3. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

Size is misleading, people are really complaining about mass a lot of the time. Also, WFC Prime is larger than FOC Prime. All the FE Figures are larger than their PRID counterparts. There is a trend toward smaller figures these days. It isn't necessarily a problem (FOC Shockwave), but it does exist. This thread might as well be called "I don't buy that the earth is older than 6000 years."

Also, posting to show off my relevant new signature.

4. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I should have bookmarked it, but some enterprising fellow weighed a selection of deluxe figures and couldn't find any trend toward shrinking (in mass, i.e. amount of plastic). I've been taking this whole thing with a grain of salt.

However, I would say that the perception of 2012 Deluxes as being smaller is more than just a brainbug, since lots of folks seem to have independently noticed this, particularly now that the figures are actually coming out. In addition, there's not a single PRiD figure that isn't smaller than its FE counterpart, if one exists.

However, I don't tend to fixate on small differences like Shockwave being a quarter-inch shorter than 2010's Megatron. I kind of want to slap people who, in apparent seriousness, say a 2012 Deluxe is a 2009 Scout. That gets you straight on my "not taking you seriously" list.

5. Oh_Slag

Oh_Slag Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think more of us would prefer figures in a particular line to be in scale with each other rather than be exactly 6 inches tall for deluxe, 8 inches tall for voyager, etc...

6. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

The only figure that seems small to me is FoC Prime.

Finally seeing FoC Jazz in person has really made a difference. He looks smaller in pics for some reason, but in person he is a decent sized deluxe.

FoC Shockwave definitely has less mass, but he doesn't seem that much smaller than the other Classicsverse deluxes.

And as far as plastic quality, FoC Shockwave is just as sturdy as any other figure. I don't get the "plastic feels cheap" argument.

7. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    I started reading it and thought iGear had finally shipped Ironhide and Ratchet and people were crying happy tears.

8. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Size is a misleading qualifier. If you're concerned about how much plastic you're getting, go by weight. Also consider the complexity, both it terms of the quantity of parts and the amount of detailing.

9. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Eh, I just go by "Do I think this is a cool toy, and am I willing to pay that?" then I give my money away like a foo'.

10. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    You do realise that FOC Jazz dose not even use metal pins in places where almost all other figures do. The toy barely even holds together. Comparing it even to his wave mates he is lacking, at least Shockwave has elbow pins.

11. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I gave up on scale for my TF figures years ago. As long as they are fun figures and look good on many shelf, I really don't care.

12. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

I don't mean to just pick and choose with your two posts, but... Really, REALLY, you're going to sit there and tell me that FE Starscream is bigger than PRID Starscream? I believe you are both suffering from the same blanket statement/belief system as the people who insist certain facts to be true when they are in fact opinion.

Either that or I can buy that SS just completely slipped your mind. I own FE Starscream, I've seen PRID Starscream in online Reviews and comparison shots, the dude is SOOOOO not shorter than his deluxe counterpart. And if that were the case than it would be a crying, crying shame.

13. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    People talking about "size" but then only using robot mode height as a measure of that for Transformers will get some funky results. They should compare the actual mass.

It is inflation, etc. behind it, but robot mode height isn't everything. Mass should be looked at, but also parts count and paint aps are big costs for transformers. Consider all those and may be it is more uniform across figures.

However it won't be perfectly uniform across all figures. The cost, to Hasbro, of each figure in an assortment is not equal despite them being sold for the same price. Hasbro spreads out/averages out the cost of a wave of figures. Some figures will cost a bit more, some a bit less.

Perhaps the most famous example is the origin of Snake Eyes. The designers of the very first wave of 3.75" GI Joe figures had done all their work, but the Hasbro accounts said "This costs too much. Remove x number of paint aps from each figure." The designers looked at options, but though loosing detail from each figure just wasn't the way to go. So instead of each figure losing paint aps, they took nearly all paint aps off of Snake Eyes, creating a nearly all black plastic figure.

14. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I'm not saying I disagree with the points laid out in this thread, but hasn't Hasbro themselves confirmed that figures are indeed getting smaller?

15. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Since I am passing him up, I'd have to say "NO".

16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think people are getting a little too crazy about the height thing. I've gotten a few of the Transformers Prime deluxe figures and they don't really seem way out of scale with my Generations figures. Even in a line like the Classics figures you had shorter figures and taller figures within the same size class.

17. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How is comparing across size classes even remotely legitimate?

Anyway, for those who are comparing FE to PRiD within equivalent size classes, before weighing include ALL accessories. My guess is that some FE budget went the light up weapons for the PRiD Voyagers.

18. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Hello! Anybody Home McFly? Think, McFly, Think.

I mean seriously, it is legitimate because they did not specify only comparing figures between their FE/PRID Counterparts in the relevant size classes. All they said was that every Toy representing a Figure in the PRID line that also had a corresponding figure in the FE line was shorter than their FE counterpart.

Besides, comparing figures between size classes that represent the same character is always legitimate. Just, not to be expected as hey, this one is taller than the other. I'd say comparing detail work in sculpts, paint applications and such is perfectly legitimate. Comparing sizes however is a bit on the, kind of pointless, side of things. (And yes, this is me saying that I made a pointless comparison, big deal, I'm admitting that what I said was pointless.)

19. TheBigMachine

TheBigMachine Initiating JAZZ HANDS!

News Credits:
    This should help settle some of the size questions:

Source: Tomopop (8th paragraph down)

So my question is with the "cost-cutting" why are we paying more ALSO?

20. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Same reason Ice Cream costs close to $6 (and not $3) for 1.5Qt (not 2Qt).