I didn't like the Masterpiece line, then

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Pravus Prime, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    ... I got Grimlock. Seriously, this is about as close to a perfect TF as I think we've ever seen. He does everything right, is fun, and looks great with a variety of different TF's, including CHUG.

I'm also looking forward (and from the sounds of it, made a wise choice in pre-ordering) Masterpiece Rodimus. This is a major reversal of both anticipation and thoughts of the MP line as a whole, which up until recently I had thought was just a way to get money out of collectors.

Like everyone else, I thought when the MP line was announced, it was fantastic news to the fandom. I eagerly ordered MP-01 Convoy (The original). It wouldn't be until Rodimus that I'd look forward to another MP release.

My problems with Convoy were manyfold. He was too tall to display with any TF, his frail half cup ankle balljoints meant mine had a left foot that fell off at the drop of a hat (even clear nailpolish and then a year later superglue didn't totally fix the problem.), those weak ankles along with that die cast heavy torso meant mine could rarely stand for long and was too dangerous to display on a high shelf or in the glass display case (He fell over the first day I was going to put him up before I closed the case and that was it for him and being displayed), his transformation seemed overly laborious to an alt mode that didn't look that great with tiny tires and no trailer (yes, I know later versions had one and it had that flimsy cardboard one). Ultimately he'd been on display for a few days on the coffee table and transformed about 4 times in all the years since, spending most of his time in a large TF storage tub. So while others voted it the best TF of all time, I actually talked about unloading it. While I had a friend who was interested, I never sold it, so it's still in storage.

The MP line continued to fail to impress. Ignoring the vast multitudes of Convoy repaints, out comes Starscream. Less cumbersomely large, the hip kibble bothered me to no end. Megatron suffered from a giant forehead, thin legs, a cannon that was too big, and infamous fraility. While Grimlock looked good, I had given up on the MP line, barely even paying attention.

It's kind of funny, as MP Grimlock ended up being pretty much an impulse purchase. Sure I had seen positive reviews, but I was actually out looking for Animated Ironhide and Rodimus, saw it and purchased it. Oddly enough, the last time that happened was Animated Leader Megatron, another favorite of mine.

Now that it's been two weeks, MP Grimlock may very well be my favorite TF toy of all time and I'm looking forward to Rodimus; hopefully there will be a Galvatron down the road if they keep making them like this.

2. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

If you want a MP Prime in size with your classics toys. then I'd suggest you buy a Igear faith leader as it's 8 inches tall in robot mode. while MP Prime is 12 inches tall in robot mode.

3. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Glad that you like MP Grimlock dude! that might've saved the waning interest you had in this line.

Hopefully MP-09 Rodimus Convoy will contnue to excite you further. :) 

4. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sounds kinda like your MP Prime was a lemon.

Mine stands perfectly well (and has been standing on display pretty continuously for the last five years). He's never fallen.

I think it's a great line.

5. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Personally I think Grimlock is just a teensy bit too large to fit in with the Classics, but I still think he's an awesome toy

6. Urluck

Urluck unimportant

Seconded. Plus with if you go with Igear add on kit, he can do drinking poses :) 

7. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I think the MP line is only going to go from strength to strength from now on. Prime is awesome, and whilst Megs is a good figure, I can't deny the flaws that the OP stated. I think he suffers from having such an awful G1 toy and a cartoon model that was so drastically different from it. Finding a middle ground between the two was almost an impossible task. When you consider those issues, it was about as good a version of him as we could have gotten, with the exception of the big forehead.

And yes, I am also bothered by the MP seekers' hip kibble, no matter how good they look apart from that.

But it's almost impossible to find fault with Grimlock. OK, maybe he is a bit small in robot mode, but that's being harsh I think. The mold is just amazing and benefits from having a great G1 toy to build from. This is why I think MP versions of Soundwave and Shockwave would be very easy to get very right.

MP Rodimus looks like he will follow the upward trend set by Grimlock and even though he isn't released yet, I can't wait to see what they will come up with next!

8. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    I don't like any of them except the Starscream mold.