I did it! My masterpiece thundercracker and skywarp have no more man boobs!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by mweeuser, Mar 3, 2009.

1. mweeuser

mweeuser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I decided to try the pin removal on the mp-06 and mp-07 as I have the latest release of skywarp and the first run of TC most if not all have they're chest pieces reversed and angling outward. I can tell you this, it really wasn't that hard, looks like new and I have no side affects. Heat was the key. I tried pounding them out but they are way too tight. I have used the heat trick on pins with heads and it works really well but this was my first attempt at a headless pin.

What I did was grind a finishing nail flat at the tip and push the nail against the outside pin of one of the intakes. Then, with a very fine sodder iron tip applied heat to the inside of the intake's pin as that the side that has the barbs that hold it in place. As I applied the heat I applied the pressure with the nail from the other end till it started pushing out. I have found with the pins with heads as well as these type that when it first starts to push out it can take some plastic with it as you have soften the entire area around the pin. First, a little of this doesn't hurt because when you heat again to push the pin back the plastic will go with it. Second, when some plastic goes with the pin, stop pushing and allow more heat. I find if I get the pin just a tad more hotter when it's pull soften plastic with it that it will stop doing that and just come out by itself. The other key is to be extremely careful about touching anything else as I was with a couple cm in some parts from other plastic with the hot iron, but that obvious and why most that otherwise would probably don't try. But this method took them out perfectly and Ijust swapped em, applied some more heat and pushed the pins back in. If anyone has questions, let me know.

2. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

very cool, good job

3. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    pics?

4. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

Yep yep, soldering iron is definitely the way to go. I don't know why these people insist on using hammers on their toys! Just heat up the pin a bit and you can usually push it right out without any ill effects. Good job!