I demand a re-write of rebirth!!!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Darth Megatron, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Darth Megatron

Darth Megatron Don't tell Lucas!

I was watching the Transformers Season 4 (If you want to call it that) DVD extras and there was an interview with David Wise about the writing and what not included in the Rebirth 3 part Mini series. After watching that interview I was left with a bad taste in my mouth. After rinsing with Listerine (it burns!!!) I felt completed to make my thoughts known and go for a little rant about the way I feel, so away we go…

Rebirth, as you all know, was the last of the G1 era. I remember watching it all those years ago, while holding my Cromedome and Snapdragon, looking for a glimpse of the new characters in action, characters that I had received for Christmas that year. It was my favourite Transformers Cartoon because it was fresh and new. It had a bunch of new characters, new toys that were really fun and a new story line to follow. When I was young I didn’t realize the fact that the entire reason for the third season was to act as a Toy Parade for the new line of figs. David Wise mentioned that he wrote it as a 5 parter, vs three parter, but there were budget cuts at Sunbow so they condensed it to what it was, a mis-mash of new characters, old characters, crap that didn’t make sense and ultimately a 90 min commercial for the new toy line, which was awesome for the kids, but terrible for the collectors. These characters had great potential and they were all under used. How great would it have been to have an ongoing series with the new group of bots including Head, target and power masters. They could have made it so much better but all they were concerned with was to showcase the toys. This is why I am asking for, no, demanding a rewrite to the Rebirth story line. Put it in to comic form, make it a 6 issue mini series (at least) and make it good dammit.
    Some suggestions:

1. Keep the same story arc with Nebulous and the Hive, but give the Nebulons real names and use there ‘toy names’ after the fact, as I don’t think a member of the HIVE would be called Night Stick or any other catchy name, if he couldn’t walk. :banghead: 
    2. Scrap Arcee and Daniel. Gives me the creeps. :sly2: 
    3. Maybe create the new bots from scratch, rather than having them exist before. Always bugged me (especially with the Decepticons) how a bunch of new characters came about without any explanation. Also how easy is it to remove your head and make a humanoid suit out of it? I doubt really that Spike could do it in a day.
    4. Give us a better ending, as it doesn’t need to end there and as we all know it didn’t. It went on in Japan and went into all sorts of new stories, even though I heard they were dumb.

Now I understand that this show was for kids and it was nothing more than a tool to get kids to buy toys, but the kids are now adults and have not quite grown out of it. We as collectors have tried to make sense of things that were never meant to really make sense (face it, continuity is a joke in the Transformers universe), so that being said, we should push IDW to do a re-telling of the Headmasters era. Do it so the holes and gaps are filled between G1 and Beast wars. There is a huge potential for good story lines and characters to be brought back to fill these gaps and unlike the current Transformer offerings, would not need to be a whole new set of Characters in a different universe.
    Any thoughts??

2. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I think it's a bit late to complain about how G1 ended.

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I like to forget Rebirth entirely.

4. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think you should at least look at the Japanese Headmasters episodes. The first 11 have had really nice english subtitles added by tv-nihon, and they all will eventually be subtitled. Click here, download the japanese Headmasters episodes and give 'em a chance! They pick up right after season 3, instead of rebirth. Chromedome is featured prominently!

5. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah the Japanese series should be just what you're looking for. Headmasters is a little kill happy (characters and then some) but it's really good.

6. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    There's also fandubs coming out of Headmasters too.

7. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I feel the same way about the entire third season.

8. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

As much as I WANT to agree with you guys... I'm finding myself agreeing more with Darth Megs up top.

I enjoyed rebirth, but it really could have been so much more.

I'll have to give the Headmasters a try.

9. Darth Megatron

Yeah, I know it is late,
    I idea is to expand on ideas that were already laid down. Unless of course you want more alternate universe stories.

Thanks for the info on the Headmasters, I will check it out with an open mind.

10. Darth Megatron

Thanks, I was starting to think I was the only one...

11. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I was just thankful that at the time traditional G1 didn't end with TROOP. Anyway, BM was really the end of the G1 universe. With the exception of killing off Convoy (again) I really like Headmasters. Takara didn't bother with the Nebulan garbage, as the Headmasters/Targetmasters were completly mechanical. All that said, I wouldn't mind seeing a 5 part comic version of Rebirth.

12. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Oh, I agree with you as well, Darth Megatron. In fact, I've thought the same since seeing that interview on that DVD box set. It would be cool to see his original 5-episode script.

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Headmasters, Masterforce, and Victory were not dumb.

14. Darth Megatron

I suppose it is a matter of opinion, yours is that it wasn't dumb, that’s fine, but it doesn't change what I had heard. I will check it out with an open mind and reserve judgment, but it also seems that the Japanese went with a different angle that the North American release. I like the idea of the Nebulon partners, so I don't want to give that up completely, but I would like it re-enforced to improve on the original story. If I wanted a re-write it wouldn't matter because there would be no continuity to the originals anyway.

And I not even sure what Masterforce and Victory were all about, so I will not be even going down that road. But I seem to remember a group called 'Breast Force' Teehe…

15. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Honest to goodness, I seriously do not remember Rebirth from my childhood. It's the only G1 episodes I never recall seeing until I saw them as an adult. And it's not as if I'd outgrown Transformers; I was still heavily into them for a good couple more years after it aired. I honestly think my local network thought it was so bad they refused to air it.

16. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I hope you do check the Japanese stories out for youself and make up your own mind. They did go on a different angle than Rebirth, especially regarding Headmasters and Targetmasters. But so did the US and UK comics. If you haven't read those, there are trade paperbacks of all the US and many of the UK comics released in the past few years.

Masterforce is the Japanese series, that really explores the human/transformer interaction in detail. It features the 1988 toys like Powermasters, Pretenders and the small Headmasters. It's a really good series, based primarily back on Earth for the first time since 1985.

I wish Rebirth would have been better. Since it's not, there are many other stories, print and broadcast, that feature the later-G1 toys. It's only in the last year that I've been into the Japanese stuff. I've enjoyed almost everything I've seen! Even the Energon series, known as Super Link in Japan, is vastly better in the original script!

17. TriBlurr

TriBlurr Who am I?

News Credits:
    I'd rather watch Rebirth than the garbage that is Headmasters. I wanted to induce vomiting after watching that crap.

18. Blastwave

Blastwave Well-Known Member

I was about to say that it wasn't bad for three episodes, but then I remembered how good "More than meets the eye" parts 1-3 was, and yeah, they could've done better. Maybe they were under heavy time constraints too.

Sixshot should have had a bigger role, Optimus shouldn't have been hallucinating, Arcee should have been taken out, and Scorponok should have killed Galvatron for dramatic effect. (So he could become Action Master Megatron!... Just kidding, don't kill me)

And Nightstick is a great name... maybe he was crippled with a night stick, and that's why he can't walk very well. Sort of an ironic twist.

19. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

If someone wanted to rewrite the head masters, using the lack of energon as a reason, as a downsizing into smaller robots but keeping their full size potential in order to battle other full size robots. The vehicle would be a drone, controlled by the smaller robot in both modes.
    This wouldn't work as well with target masters.

It could also be written as the first step to becoming predacons and maximals.
    Of course, Beast wars probably wasn't even a glimmer in anyones mind at the time of G1.

I'll have to check out the Japanese headmasters as well.

20. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Thanks for your well-reasoned, clearly articulated opinion. I see the error of my ways.

Wait, I'd rather clean up afterbirth than watch Rebirth.