Heavy/Scratch: I Couldn't Help It!!!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SonOfNemesis, May 14, 2010.

1. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Alright, after tons of research, lots and lots of close observation, and AWESOME advice from first and foremost, Jbarb78 and Scotscream, Darkpsi, and Deaculpa I have finally built up enough courage to have a go at this famous Devastator custom. *I just want to really acknowledge Jbarb78 here for really helping me to get this guy together as well as providing really good ideas here and there.*

Got the head and the chest piece compliments of Ptitvite (Devastator's Mastermind). The connectors I used are a mix of what's out there in various Devastators. I thought about bringing the shoulders in closer to the body with neo shifters and technic pieces but then I messed with the unicron parts and I like the mass it gave me (and tough articulation).

THE LEGS: The legs are looking a bit 'gimpy' so I'll be beefing them up with some mass (epoxy, cut parts, and all). I have a rocket launcher (sorry no previews on it yet) I am working on that bolts up to his shoulder and is about 1/2 his size (it'll be incorporated into his stand - also working on - to add better support for when it's attached to Devastator.

UPDATE: Construction is finished! Painting coming in near future and with video! I also beefed up his chest and lat areas. Hook's crane will be removable. He's quite a massive figure now that I actually have one in person :D 

I spent hours and hours these past two days strengthening his joints and connection points beyond what is sufficient because he's not going to be transformable, just very posable, very durable, displayable, and massive :) 

Yep, he'll look pretty sick with all my classics figures eh heh heh heh...

UPDATE 2: New Pics.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  2. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love seeing these built...so great.

I personally like the weathered look on devastator. As his minds(s) were so conflicted and damaged as devastator, I can't see any of them taking time for repairs... Just my .02

As to the cement mixer...there are so many options that it boggles the mind. Right now wal-mart has a small cement mixer that is in a good scale for this (I just bought 2 for commisions) They are in the cheap toy section...I believe they are $5.00
    You other options are a bedford cement mixer, however f_r has forced the price of them up by using them on his...nothing wrong with it, just now they are quite sought after. Another you can do is what I did on my first devy and that was to go to kmart and look in thier cheap toys section (Just kids brand) there is a military play set (Cab) and a construction playset (mixer) They are $5.00 each. Yet another is to try and get ahold of a Tonka Mighty Mini cement mixer. These are my personal favorite as they are in a perfect proportion for the project and have enough metal on them to give mixmaster a nice solid feel when finished.
    What it basically boils down to is...look around whenever you are shopping. You never know what you will find. Cement mixer toys are probably not a terribly great seller...so there ae not many out there in the proper scale. (Matchbox is too small)

If you can't find anything PM me and I can send you an extra that I have.

It is looking good so far. I would consider using the lower parts of Unicrons legs or another Supreme class figure to "house" the connections on Mixmaster and Scrapper. Because I found that trying to force them to connect directly to the knee forced a very weak stance.

Best of luck on it!!

3. Jbarb78

Jbarb78 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm going with Sioce on the lower leg part, connecting to the knees is a bitch. I tried to do that the first time I made one of these, didnt work out so good. Hopefully you still have the rest of the Unicron parts, some of them will come in handy later. I still stick with the ROTF Mixmaster drum, it looks more realistic and there's still some out in the stores (a little more pricey but worth it in my opinion.) If you're going for the detachable cab style, I may have one you can use. I think it might even be the same one Encline used on his, looks pretty much the same. I decided on a different route, so I wont need it.

4. SonOfNemesis

Sioce, thanks for all the info and comment man, I'll keep my eyes peeled for those figures! Jbarb78, I do have the rest of Unicron - just not pictured. Thanks for commenting man and for the motivation!

5. Autobot-X1

Autobot-X1 Mentaly Hilarious

Ebay:
    Looks good so far!! Keep up the great work!! :thumbs2: :thumbs2: 

6. SonOfNemesis

Thanks, I really want this to me top of the line when it's through!

7. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

looking very promising man.

you've had some great tips to cement mixers, and if all fails, use household products, like advil bottle's (some are great shapes for a cement mixer, take two, cut the cylinders down a bit, glue them together, and u have a cool looking cement mixer.

with all of the devy's out there, paint apps always make them the "one of a kind" customs they there, so i'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with him.

8. Will of Unicron

Will of Unicron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I would go with a clean worn look. In other words no damage look. That's just my thought. Can't wait to see it finished. These customs are always awesome!!!!

9. SonOfNemesis

Thanks guys! Never thought of using household prods Vipera! Will of Unicron, what do you mean clean and worn - you mean do the clean paint app and then add construction effects like dirt and mud and cement but no damage, right?

10. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Looking good. Can't wait to see it finish. I personally like the cleaner look.

11. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well as for the cement mixer i have used the bedford matchbox one, its a larger scale than usual matchboxes from their superkings line, when searching ebay try different searches using different terms but i found mine for an english pound (about $1.30 ish right now) its the matchbox superkings k-26 bedford cement mixer. hope this helps in some way and keep up the good work hes looking good :) 

12. SonOfNemesis

Noted BScorinok75, thanks!

13. SonOfNemesis

Nellie, thanks for the info man, I believe I may have located a truck and am working on it right now. I'll be modding some of the fill-in parts today. I need to go out and buy some material to work with.

14. nellie131

News Credits:
    also a tip for connecting the legs to the knees is use the unicron shins as i didnt see them in the pics those help a lot and can add some bulk to him! and glad to be of help!

15. SonOfNemesis

I will be doing that definitely! I actually just finished cutting the back plate from Primus and the waist section from Unicron. They came out well and fit pretty good. I also cut the shin connection joints from Unicron and they are looking good as well. I do have the side waist plates from Unicron, they're just not pictured.

Keep in mind, Dev is only placed in combination mode and not yet connected. I will definitely be doing lots more fine tune sanding and surface prepping before I connect this guy.

I want to use the beefier connection joints from primus, unicron, and another source that Jbarb78 is hooking me up with!

Here's some update pics.

Attached Files:

16. nellie131

News Credits:
    that primus back piece is awsome iver pretty much used the same ideas as this mines alreayd built and in painting right now! good to see you kept the orange bit on the waist just looks that bit more solid!

and deffo looking much better with the shins on!

17. Bern

Bern Pathetic fools!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Coming along nicely, always so cool to see these!

18. SonOfNemesis

Thanks guys! I'll be posting up on this frequently - still waiting on some extra parts.

19. ebay

ebay Well-Known Member

toys in my part of the world (malaysia) are expensive to begin with.
    esp primus. your combiner sure looks big judging from the parts you took from unicron n primus. great effort n courage there.

20. SonOfNemesis

Thanks Ebay! Yeah, this one is on hold for a bit, I have a lot of other customs work I need to get done and get out before I can pick this one back up. I got some great stuff for it though and I got all the mod material as well. I plan on picking it back up by late June.