I completed P90X today!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sixshot, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I am actually more interested in running at this time. I run between 1/4 to 3/4 of a mile each time I go to the gym, with focus on the workout afterward. I'd like to run 3-5 miles a day but right now I can't even crack 1 mile. Any tips on how to be a good runner?

Sorry about digressing from the topic but I want to know lol.

2. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    run to replace the days of cardio on P90X. P90X consist of 3 weight lift days, 2 cardio days, and 1 Yoga day (I guess u can consider it cardio). So run on on the 2 P90X cardio days instead of doing the cardio routines. If you really want then run on Yoga days too but I recommend doing the Yoga. Weight lifting is not just to bulk up. In fact, if u don't want to bulk then just do low weight but high reps. Muscle building not only help you look toner (if you do low weight but high reps) but the muscle helps burn calories/fat even while you rest cuz muscles require alot of calories to build and maintain.

3. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I still want to see before and after photos

4. gil

gil Godmaster

I actually suck at running. 10-11 minute miles......for the 5 miles. when I go longer, I get slower. IMO, if you really want to run, do it outdoors and not on a treadmill at the gym (that is, if you can get outdoors). When you run outdoors, it's easier to throw in walk breaks and continue running when your up to it, even if your only running 1/8 mile in between walks. This way, you get the miles in. And the more you do it, try to progressively cut down on the walking. It will take a while to get to running non stop, but it's like everything else from weight lifting to P90X. Just gotta put in the time.

Hmmmm, time for me to build a schedule and follow it. New Years Resolution right there!!

5. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James The JUICE

I've tried it, and will again. I did have a lot of problems with the Legs and Back routine. My knees just couldn't take it. I didn't get too far into it because of life issues, but in the short time I did it, I could tell the difference. I also loved the routines. They were extremely hard, but were at the same time, fun. Also, yeah, the yoga is way too long.

When you start you WON'T be like the people in the video. But, I'm convinced that if you stick with it, you will get into great shape.

6. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Banned

News Credits:
    The videos show you how to do assisted pull ups and alternatives for people who aren't as strong as they need to be to do the normal excercizes.

7. Predaking

I can see myself using P90X when I decide to nix my gym membership, with outdoor running to supplement the cardio part of the program. BTW where can you get a great deal on P90X?

8. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Congrats on finishing P90X! Not missing a single day is no easy task.

Number of BeachBody programs completed:

P90X - 5-ish
    P90X+ - 2
    Insanity - 3 (first two times through were back to back. brutal)

And countless days in between, mixing things up with a combination of workouts from those programs and some of the One-on-One with Tony Horton videos.

I love BeachBody. P90X2 can't get here soon enough.

In June I started waterproofing and finishing my basement. I *hope* it'll be done in the next week or two so I can start working out at home again (and so I can finally display at least most of my TF collection). Since June I've had a gym membership where I've been working out with a trainer, doing a lot of TRX and running in preparation for ToughMudder in April.

I'm really loving the TRX stuff lately though. So much so that I installed one in my basement. For those of you struggling with pull-ups, push-ups or other body weight exercises you might want to look into it. For those of us who are already good at those, there's this exercise which I got to try this morning (not me in the video, just an example) - JAVI BELTRAN: TRX "ATOMIC PUSH UPS SUSPENDED" - YouTube

Oh and for people having scheduling problems with their workouts, I highly recommend doing it in the morning. Nearly everyone I know who's completed P90X, something like it, or just works out every day, usually does it in the morning. Likewise, nearly everyone I know who fails to workout every day is usually trying to squeeze it in after work.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  9. SCPrime

News Credits:
    When I opened and read the booklet it tells you to take before pics and after pics. Unfortunately I did not take any before pics because frankly I did not think I could either 1. finish the 90 days or 2. see a noticable difference in the results. I was wrong. Too late now. I wish I did. People I know though have all noticed a difference physically as do I. But I really wish I took before pics to be able to really see comparison pics side by side.

10. Predaking

Are the results that pronounced? That's one of the reasons why I never really trusted P90X informercials. I thought it's all bunch of BS since I figured most people will never see the results advertised before they quit. I really want a six pack abs and a V shape torso and if P90X can deliver that then I may give it a try.

11. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Shoes are a definite. You don't want to use shoes that weigh you down. But the good light weight ones can cost a pretty penny. Breathing is important too. I typically vary from three in the nose and mouth and three out the mouth to 2 in and 2 out. Pace yourself. If you feel like stopping, the best thing is to try not to stop, but slow down and try to keep going if you can. You want your arms bent at 90 degree angles at the elbow.

Some people will tell you to stretch first to avoid injury, some will tell you only to stretch afterward. It depends on you. I usually do mild stretching before, and warm up exercises like jumping jacks, lunges, calf stretching, hamstring and quadricep stretching.

If anything.....if you can borrow p90x from someone....try the plyometrics out first for a few weeks until you can practically follow along 90% of the way (estimated). This way it helps get your legs ready. Or you can just dive into running and keep doing it. Rest every other day. What I usually do is I run wednesdays, rest thursday. Run on Friday, rest Saturday. Run on Sunday and rest on Monday and Tuesday. Any rest days are usually spent lifting weights so I'm not really working my legs too hard or overworking them.

I used to be able to run 3.3 miles around a lake without stopping. Topped out at a hair over 30 minutes. I'm trying to get back to that. Oh.....and yeah.....no smoking.
    Make sure you keep yourself hydrated. No...not with gaterade. WITH WATER! LOTS AND LOTS OF WATER! Preferably a few cups spaced out before you run. Drink a lil bit of gaterade after you run, but switch to water afterwards. You technically want to drink about a gallon a day (but not all at once!). What you put in your body will affect your results so if you're not eating and drinking healthy now....you better get started. Again, I cannot emphasize this enough....STAY HYDRATED! Your muscles will thank you for it.

*edit* ok....I should clarify on the gallon of water. I do about that a day if not at least half a gallon primarily because I'm at high altitude and its dry up here. Yeah it makes you pee like a race horse, but.....again....you gotta stay hydrated. Trust me on this one. Oh, and when I say water, some people think "I'll go drink Vitamin water! Yeah!".....ummm....no. Don't drink that crap. Just water. You can also look up the information with a quick simple google search too on warm up methods and stretches and exercises to do after you've ran. One thing is, don't just stop moving after you've finished running.....walk briskly for a bit so that your body can cool down properly.....do a few jump rope type movements.....then stretch your lower back and legs.

12. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I run five miles every morning before work, which takes me about 39-42 minutes depending on how I'm feeling that day. I've been running for 10-11 years and have just never stopped. I used to run after work, but fought through the fatigue and have stuck with doing it in the morning and will never go back.

After work, I come home and do P90X. I could never do the running and the P90X workout back-to-back. It's just too much.

I don't take the sups, but do recommend sticking to a healthy diet plan.

The problem with P90X for me right now is that several of the routines are starting to be easy for me, which I suppose means I'm in really good shape, but I rather like a challenge. I did Kenpo tonight and it just doesn't work me hard enough. I'll be switching out Cardio X for Plyo tomorrow, which I love.

When I'm done with this go-around, I'll probably take a week off and get started on P90X 2 in January. Anybody else going to do it? It would be cool to do it along with a few people on the board to see how it goes.

13. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

That's a good question, actually. I'd focus on working towards that first mile. Once you achieve it, repeat the run for awhile to help build up endurance. When you feel that you can reach a mile every time out, try to do it faster. Time yourself and set goals. It's a great motivator.

When you feel comfortable with that, add another quarter to half mile to the run, slowing down at certain points if needed. Then try to do it faster.

Eventually, you'll keep building your endurance and your legs will get stronger, and possibly your body will get lighter along the way and make the runs easier for you.

However long you want to run, just be sure to take your time and not rush things. If you try to push it too fast, you'll just turn yourself off to running, and really that would suck because it really is addictive once you get into it and it can be a point of pride for you.

Good luck!

14. SCPrime

News Credits:
    It's a noticable difference but you won't get a 6 pack ab and V shape torso after just 90 days (or even if you repeat it longer depending on how in shape you are). The people who have that type of body are either physically gifted or workout at least twice a day and 7 days a week. I've been trying for a 6 pack ab for a very very long time (since college doing various workout routines and dieting over the years). After close to 2 years of P90X I still have not acheived it but am as close to it (maybe 4 pack) as I've ever been. Before P90X I had a beer belly. My wife would make fun of me and rub my stomach for good luck like I'm Budda or something. I don't think it's as bad as Budda but it was out there.

15. SCPrime

News Credits:
    If you can get your hands on P90X Plus then do the Interval X routine. I think that's a very good cardio routine. Almost as good as Plyo. Kenpo Plus is good too but comparable to Kenpo X but maybe you'll get some burn from it since it's different.

I have P90X 2 on preorder so definitely will start it in January.

16. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    Fine jerkface. Thanks for embarrassing me over the internet tubez. jk

Note the fine beer belly.
    [​IMG]

Where did it go?
    [​IMG]

17. Sixshot

News Credits:
    I used whey, creatine, glutamine, and an awesome multivitamin called Orange Triad. I usually made a breakfast shake in the morning consisting of whey, milk, bananas, and strawberries. Good way to start your day.

I made a poor man's recovery drink consisting of a teaspoon of whey and 8 oz of juice along with creatine and glutamine.

I also enjoyed Clif Builder bars. Good meal replacement option and tasty. Mint chocolate!

18. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    wow jerkface...o...k... and I was going to compliment your photo
    you just called a girl (no I take that back woman) a jerkface? jk bff lol omg ttyl ok?

19. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah.

Like in my experience, insulting a woman after she asks to see you naked probably isn't the best way to fondle on with repeat requests. It's usually worked the other way around for me, but I think it's still a safe assumption.

20. Sixshot

News Credits:
    You notice the "jk" afterwards? Stands for "just kidding."

Sorry, I was joking. I thought it was clear. :) 

And thanks for the preemptive compliment. The beer gut clearly went away.