I completed P90X today!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sixshot, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    I had been wanting to do P90X (a pretty intense total body workout plan) for a long time, finally had the time to commit to the program, and stuck with it all 90 days, no breaks. I did not miss one single day, and I even chose to do the stretch routine in lieu of having a rest day every week.

The difference is incredible. I started at 185 pounds and dropped to 171 (I'm 6'1"). The beer belly is gone and I am in the best shape of my life. I started only being able to do 8 pull ups, now I can do 15. All of my stats improved drastically.

Has anyone here done P90X? What were your thoughts? Or insert other exercise discussion.

I'm thinking I might go through the program again, we'll see. I might even pony up for some powerblocks.

2. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have it.... does that count?:lol 

I'll probably start it when my ankle heals, I sprained it running a month ago and it still bugs me from time to time.

3. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I'm on Week 8 of my third time around. It works if you stick with it, that's for sure.

To me, Core Synergistics is the hardest workout.

Can't wait for P90X 2.

4. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I cant
    that thing is designed for people who are somewhat athletic
    I am not
    not even close, I cant even to one pull up

5. Sixshot

News Credits:
    Nice. I am going to do it again. I am going to do a few cardio workouts this week and then jump back into it I think.

Plyo kicked my ass the first time, but got better. Legs and back was a hard routine for me at first since I never had worked on my legs or back very much.
    And corncob pullups suck.

6. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    I got it...and trying to motivate myself...but really its the time....dont have enough of it...

7. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I thought long and hard about buying it, but in the end I decided on getting gym membership instead. All those stuff about muscle confusion is confusing to me lol.

8. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Congrats! I know a few people who tried it and only 2 of them managed to complete the 90 days so give yourself a pat on the back. I'm going on close to 2 years of doing it (actually switching every 90 days from P90X to P90X plus). I look my best and am in the best shape of my life since college (that was 15 years ago). Even after 90 days I saw a huge difference. It even dropped my cholesterol down. My doctor is actually amazed at how much it dropped. He says he usually only sees that kind of drop in patients taking medications. I've already preordered P90X 2 so by the time it arrives (late December) I would have completed my current round of P90X and will start P90X 2 right after.

9. Allsparky

Allsparky Bayou Buah/Ex cross-tie walker!

Wow! You guys are awesome! My wife and I tried last year and only made it through two months before letting life's bs get in the way. Really depressed us as we almost made it. Earlier this year we tried again and only made it the first month. Am currently working on my wife to get remotivated and have gone back to my freeweights in the meantime. Here's to hoping for "third times a charm" and to never giving up no matter what life throws at you. I commend and respect you guys/gals that have made it. You are an inspiration!

10. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

congrats...its takes dedication to complete it all...and good to see you had improvements

i tried it but since i also do heavy weight lifting (and trying to gain size), P90X didnt fit in. i just did Plyometrics just to have some cardio in it.

11. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just what exactly do you do in P90X? I've read descriptions of it, but have no idea what it really is.

I usually do 40 minutes of intense, heavy weight training followed by 55 minutes of cardio at the gym. Would I be able to give it a shot?

12. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime IDW2019 Stan

News Credits:
    Hi me

13. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

its like Boot Camp at the gym.

not really...ive seen really out of shape people do this. They show you different options to do if you dont have the equipment or cant do it like them. Plus you dont have to be doing everything they do, you can take a break or do less. you just need to put in the effort, then next time around try to do maybe 1 more rep/etc.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  14. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would have to take a break after only doing one rep lol

so any before and after pics like they show on the infomercial?

15. Sixshot

News Credits:
    Some people I know have done it but didn't go through with the whole program, most notably guys saying, "I don't want to do yoga." I'm glad I did the yoga and stretching routines, I can reach 7 inches past my toes now. Ah damn. I used to think I was flexible, but damn. It really is a total body program, flexibility, cardio, and resistance training.

To the people saying it's too hard, there is a fit test that you can perform before you begin to see if you are ready for the program. I was already somewhat athletic and lifting weights, and was able to pass the test. OmegaScourge is right, you can definitely still do P90X if you can't pass the test or are way out of shape, but obviously will have to adapt some stuff.

16. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    I think the key thing is, don't try to follow along every step of the way if you can't. Even in the videos, the guy tells you to take breaks if you need them. I think that's very important. Know your limitations and build up to the point where you can follow along without the breaks.

17. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

You can do the routines if you're out of shape, but I don't see how you would avoid modifying a lot of the exercises. Before I started P90X, I was a runner, and still am just to maintain my current endurance levels. Five miles every day, so I was already fit. When I started P90X to get into super shape, I thought the running was preparation enough, but I found those routines to be very difficult, particularly the weight lifting, which I did very little of. I can't believe how lean and chiseled I look, but in a healthy way. I'm happy, but boy am I tired.

There's not a single workout in P90X that I didn't have to work at to get better. Now, I'm in the best shape of my life and there are now even a few workouts that I find rather easy. Legs and Back went from one of the hardest to one of the easiest for me (except one-leg squats...that will always be tough!). Cardio X doesn't even make me sweat until 25 minutes in so I typically swap it with Plyo. I went from dreading Plyometrics to it being my favorite. What a great workout! And I've never skipped Yoga X and went from a skeptic to a real believer in it. The only issue I have with it is that it's 30 minutes too long, but that will be resolved in the P90X 2 version, which cuts it down to 65 minutes. The Yoga helps build the flexibility and endurance that is required throughout the rest of the program.

My third time around will end at the end of the year, so in January I'll be starting P90X 2. Just based on what I've read and seen, P90X itself looks like a prep course just to be able to do P90X2....correctly.

So, what are everybody's favorite/least favorite workouts?

18. blurr69

blurr69 First time caller

Ebay:
    Ive gone through phases of being incredibly unfit and decently fit my entire life. Never done any "programs" before, but I can say this.. My first time trying to get into shape, maybe around the age of 15, I couldnt do a single pull up and maybe a few push ups. I kept doing push ups everyday, adding a few more and a few more each day, and within a week I was doing a few pullups. Maybe couple - few weeks later I was able to hammer out 20~ pullups no prob. Couple months later, just doing pullups, situps, pushups, pretty much zero cardio, little bit of stretching here and there, no diet, just didnt drink soda or eat fast food... I was in pretty much best shape of my life.

Been up and down like that many times since. Currently Im in the most unfit slump of my life, but with a couple months of sucking it up and just not eating like shit/moderatly excersizing, I could go back.

19. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    I would recommend at least trying. I haven't done the full program myself, but I have watched through the videos and can't wait til my life changes to the point where I can actually dedicate a schedule for it. Right now all I'm doing is some weight lifting, running, plyometrics and ab ripper x.

Why just today, I ran a mile outside, walked for a few minutes, did Plyometrics and finished with ab ripper x. Ask me to do that 3 months ago and I would have told you to go be fruitful and multiply with thineself......

*edit*

In case anyone wondered......yes....I did feel like puking.

20. gil

gil Godmaster

What's your routine, if you don't mind me asking. I run 4 days a week, about 6-10 miles after work depending on the day. I tried doing P90X with my gf right after a run. We did Plyo. I gave up, haha. (yeah, we do it wrong. We just pick and choose a routine) I tried doing my runs in the morning to free up my evenings for P90X, but I found that running in the morning makes work suck, so I went buck to running in the evening. I want to do more P90X, but damn, can't think of ways to mix it with my run.

And to the guys who actually do the program, do you guys take the sups they recommend?

And yeah, we tried instanity too.