I checked Yahoo! for top 10 Box Office Movies of 2009

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by 009*, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Well-Known Member

Michael Bay is a smart man.

From what I gathered here, ROTF was one of the worst movies made withing the past 2-3 years, but it has raked in almost a billion dollars in ticket sales, merchandising...

Damnit what is his secret?!

2. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I gotta say the nerdrage over this is quite hilarious. Good job.

Well, aparently people seem to forget that the movie also sold alot of DVDs and Blu Rays, so why would people buy them if they did not liked the movie?

3. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Simple when you buy a new Hi-Def TV and hook it up to Blu-Ray player you want something to show off to your friends and relatives what your system can do. So you take the biggest effects movie of the year, scene select to that part of the film and boom look what my entertainment system can do that your system can't.

I mean really can you think of a better film this year to show off a Hi-Def TV and Blu-Ray player with? So it's not something you really watch as it's something you use to show off.

4. General Magnus

I still think that´s a small percentage and will not make the majority of the DVD/Blue Ray sales. And really, spend money on a DVD just to select a certain part and show it off? Sounds well, silly. Might aswell download the movie from a "certain" site.

5. NormanB

NormanB Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's a stretch

6. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :bay  Awesome. May not have been super great as a film, but obviously a good number of people also including us fans (and younger fans) enjoyed it. Keep em coming Bay!

7. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    It warms my heart to see the usual haters in here lamenting the fall of mankind that ROTF won the box office race for '09.

Meanwhile, the rest of us who loved it just smile. And watch our BluRay of it while we play with our ROTF figures.

The silent/quiet majority loved ROTF. The vocal minority didn't and will forever make sure we know that. Over and over and over and over and over and over....

8. cleazer

cleazer Lost in the lights

News Credits:
    Doesn't matter. Avatar will officially be the #1 movie of 2009, that's how the records are tracked. Movies aren't split in half between years. (For example, Return Of The King is the #1 movie of 2003, despite the fact that it was only at $249 million when the ball dropped for New Year's.)

By the way, Avatar just made $19 million on a Monday(!!!) yesterday. It's going to challenge Dark Knight for second biggest movie of all time.

(And for the record, I enjoyed Transformers 2 this summer. It was mindless fun, but I found it fun nonetheless.)

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Very nicely put.

10. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Status quo. Lowest common denominator.

Unfortunately sales and popularity trends often don't have a lot to do with the quality of the product.

...and sorry Goaliebot, SL, but http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1055369/ 70,000 votes at 6.1 is hardly a 'vocal minority' vs. 'silent majority', and that includes the thousand or so votes that would be 10/10 from desperate fans who'd rate it perfect just because it's transformers anything.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  11. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    what he said..

12. General Magnus

"Status quo"? I honestly don´t get that.

And well regarding the last line, the very same thing could be said for the people who hate Micheal Bay like he raped their dog and then ate it. It goes for both sides.

13. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    These movie threads really should just be informative, single post threads then locked. The same loved it/hated it replies are beyond rediculous.

14. Teletran

Teletran Witty title not included

yeah, im gonna waste my money on a dvd i dont like just to show off the neat parts to a few friends how it looks on blu ray and then never open it again. yes, $20-25 well spent! did you think before you posted that cause its just stupid. guess i must be an oddity in that id buy a movie i liked to show off and then watch it again than just a one-off dvd

yeah, i dont get this either

ssssoooo...people are only buying it cause its the "cool and hip" thing to do right now, but not cause they liked it? guess the economy is back to normal if ppl can afford to buy things they dont like yet feel the need to simply because its popular. even though its only $20-25, wish i had some extra money to blow on stuff i dont like but buy cause everyone else is

i have no problem with ppl not liking this movie. i understand that. what i have a hard time with is why ppl refuse to accept that there ARE ppl that DID like it. heres an example. i just saw a commercial for no country for old men showing on the usa network tonight. they were going on with all its accolades. yet i thought it was boring and went nowhere. but i dont spend time going to message boards decring it as a piece of garbage and bringing out any example i can of ppl not liking it to try and "convinvce" ppl that its was a crap movie. i just get on with my life. i have more important things to do than worry bout why someone likes a movie i dont

i agree with mach1. these kinds of back and forth posts are getting tedious and redundant

15. transformers32

transformers32 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For a movie that was so bad why did it do so good? Alot of people even went back to see it more than once.. I liked the movie and cant wait for the third one to come out. All these haters on here is sad.. But it is your opinion and you have the right to it. So be it dont watch the movies..:) 

16. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

You're new to Transformers, aren't you? ;P

17. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

No Country for Old Men is awesome. Where is IronicHide at? We both used to talk about the movie and the book on here. His avatar is Chiurgh. Completely sidetracking the thread but I love that film. :) 

18. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    Vocal minority, yeah. I don't know anyone who has ever rated a movie on IMDB. Almost no one I know even know what IMDB is. Even a nerd like me only uses it to look things up, I don't go rating things on it. But people are many many more times likely to complain about something they didn't like than to write praise about something they did.

70,000 votes averaging a 6.1 doesn't really tell us a whole lot either. Mathematically that could be 55000 votes of 8.0 from folks who enjoyed it averaged against 25000 "angry nerd" votes of 0.0s. Or it could be haters voting over and over and over again. Who knows?

And finally, yes - vocal minority. 70,000 voters on IMDB (assuming there was no multiple votes) is 1/574th of viewers, or less than 0.002 percent. Very much a minority, and the nature of the sample group (folks who rate movies on IMDB) makes it highly unreliable as a statistical sample as well.

A lot of regular folks liked ROTF. Exit polling indicated this, repeat viewing and strong followup weekends sustained this theory (look at films like "Bruno" for how buzz movies that people are interested in can die a horrible 2nd weekend death via word of mouth and viewer dissatisfaction), and finally DVD/BluRay sales confirm it.

It isn't just a case of lowest common denominator (that's kinda insulting to those of us who liked it you know). Some of us are fairly intelligent people who just genuinely enjoyed it. I don't understand why people pile on that so often here. I don't mind if you hated it. But the constant bashing from the same names over and over is why I usually stay far away from the movie forums... though it comes up in all the forums too because some people can't just live and let live with this subject.

19. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

rotf kicked major ass this year! i'm so happy that it happened.

20. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    Flawed yes, Fan-wankish at certain periods, and getting to see hot chicks AND Giant robots blow up stuff... = :rock  Congrats for it being the top movie of 2009, and no body mentioned one of the highest in US cinematic history hello! No. 9! Beating our Spider-Man! :lol