3D Artwork: I.C. Terrorcons

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by elgoodo, Apr 10, 2009.

1. elgoodo

elgoodo Well-Known Member

AFter my Technobots, these guys were the logical next project. Had a lot of fun doing these guys, especially their alt modes. Anyway, hope you like them! there are more renders of these guys in my website iaconcity.com

enjoy! almost done with my Gestalts....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nice work as always. You should really look into a better lighting and background setup, your models could benefit from it, especially with the work you put into them.

3. BMGFX

BMGFX Awesome Spooner Veteran

Yeah, I agree with Venksta...Do some extra light and materials and it will add much more life to the well crafted models :) 

4. elgoodo

thanks comments duly noted...actually I was wondering if you could give me some lighting tips....

5. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    What happened to his neck, where is rippersnappers neck?!?!

6. elgoodo

m i missing something? what do you mean? it's right there behind the head :) 

7. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    MMmmm, this looks delicious. Nice job!

8. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

I love how Blot turned out, great job.

9. Tomasemily

Tomasemily Well-Known Member

I was hoping you'd do these guys next. They look so good with proper proportions.

10. diablien

diablien Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man this makes me want better versions of those figures! The Terrorcons are awesome!

11. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    That is badass!

12. Venksta

News Credits:
    Whats your current setup?

13. elgoodo

see here's the funny thing...way back when (like 5 years ago) I was taking some 3D course where I was taught final gathering....so anyway, I've been using the SAME final gathering technique since...but when I upgraded to Softimage 7 I've since forgotten how to use it (i mean I've been doing what I've always been doing, but it doesn't seem to work) so what i've got now is the same basic final gathering setup with a solitary point light near the front....it's crude, but does the job. BUt yeah I get your point on needing to experiment more...so any suggestions? help?

14. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I love your work man, thanks for sharing. I have to say that your models have grown by leaps and bounds over the years.

15. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Amazing job!

16. Venksta

News Credits:

I noticed with XSI 6.0 and up, Final Gathering works differently. It doesn't seem to fully illuminate your scene like it did in 4.2 or lower. If you saw my recent Galaxy Convoy renders, those were all done with Final Gathering turned on, and with an infinite light with shadow. In the older versions, a point light was enough, but now I find it its to weak. And the way FG illuminates in the newer XSIs, you can throw a couple of lights in to help fill up the scene if needed. Do you use a HDRI map to go with your FG setup? Thats what I used for my Galaxy Convoy renders.

As for my Classics Megatron renders, FG was not used. It uses a light setup using a couple infinite lights in a 3-point setup, with some additional infinites as fillers. I like this type of light, as its position doesn't affect the model's lighting, only rotation. So you can move it around and the lighting will stay the same, but only when you change the rotation, it will change the actual lighting. For my setup, I have one infinite light pointing down from the top left, acting as the sun light. Shadow on, tuned down to 0 to give it a nice dark look, along with Shadow Map, so the edges are softer. Then I have a infinite light facing down from the back, about 0.2-0.3 less for intensity compared to the main light. Color has a tint of blue to it. For the third light, its facing from the right down to the model. Similiar to the last one, but less intensity. Then I have 2-3 more infinite lights, pointing at the model from various directions. Low intensity, like 0.1-0.3. These are low filler lights. Various light color tints to them, usually a shade of very light blue, but still close to white. You can also use point lights instead for these last ones, or mix and match. The main light should definitely be a infinite. Once you got it setup, parent them to a Null, and you can rotate them around the model, depending on your camera view for renders. As always, you will need to do test renders to get the setup to your liking. Make sure to start test rendering with the first light, so you can see how the rest build up the scene.

Let me know if you have any questions.

17. saberconvoy

saberconvoy Well-Known Member

That is so cool

really nice job on it

18. HiKaizer

HiKaizer Plot Botherer

I have nothing more but to echo the sentiments of others, both in praise and critique. I wish I had something more helpful to say, but great work anyway.

19. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Superb work as always, d00d. Good to see new stuff from you!

20. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    Three Point Lighting Tutorial

get something nice and dramatic, and work on the materials too, even if you just want to make them plasticky looking then you still need to put some work into getting that set up, the ones you have at the moment are too close to the defaults