I broke down and ordered a warbot, is he a cool toy?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by micah1199, Feb 16, 2012.

1. micah1199

micah1199 Well-Known Member

Dear Forum,

I broke down and ordered a warbot at BBTS yesterday because they got in some more stock. I am a springer fan. He is my favorite 1986 g1 bot. I loved him because he uses a sword as a weapon. I am part of that demographic that loves sword wielding bots, joes, toys ect. I am probably one of the reasons that the GI Joe team has made 40 plus snake eyes toys. I don't believe that Hasbro will ever make a true chug toy of him. I don't know if I am suffering buyers remorse for paying $110 for a deluxe bot or what. I actually bought my g1 misb classics springer 10 years ago for $150. Is warbot worth it to the Chug and springer fans?

Thank you

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

This probably belongs in the 3rd Party area.

Warbot Defender is by no means perfect, but compared to other 3rd-party items, I think the price is fair. He's an outstanding transformable display piece, but not a very good toy--by which I mean that he's too breakable, too expensive, and too complicated to play with much, if at all. He's certainly a better Springer than either of the two Classics/Universe repaints we got as Springer. You'll want to be extra careful with the joints where his arms connect to the shoulders, and try to avoid transforming him without following the instructions precisely.

3. micah1199

micah1199 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the transforming advice. I did not know this. Please move my post to the correct area if necessary.

Thank you.

4. robowarrior

robowarrior Arcee's BF

News Credits:
    Apart from being fragile, he is an awesome figure. You'll have trouble standing him up and getting in poses due to the lack of heels and the amount of weight (die cast) there is on the toy. Overall he is an awesome homage to Springer, plus you get both helicopter and cybertronian car/truck mode. You won't be disappointed. trust me..

5. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

He's not a bad figure in the slightest. Definitely a nice representation of Springer. I'm a little surprised FP didn't produce a Sandstorm redeco. I don't think he's worth the money he's currently going for on places like BBTS and TFSource. I'd say the worth is about half that.

6. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Standing him up is much easier if you bend the ratcheted joints in his shins by about 1 click. I was about to order the clip-on heels from Shapeways until I discovered how easily he stands by doing this.

7. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

Exactly. Don't see why people are so obsessed with these heels. OP, if Springer is your favourite character, you will not be disappointed. I'm still thrilled with mine.

8. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

I like Springer a lot, so I bought Botcon Springer after this came out for pretty cheap. Then I really wanted to try Warbot, so I got him. I got bored with Warbot because he's a pain in the ass to transform and feels like he's going to break at any moment, so I sold him. Now I just have the Botcon version, and I am 100% fine with that!

9. robowarrior

robowarrior Arcee's BF

News Credits:
    mmmm... interesting...didn't know about this. I"ll have to try this. Mines is in knee position...

[​IMG]

10. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    I love WB Defender. Aside from the small heels leading to stability issues it's a perfect update to Springer.

11. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Warbot is the greatest Springer we have so far. His Copter mode is brilliant as well as his Cybertronian car mode. The Bot mode is the weakest mode but weakest does not mean the same as weak.

I think you will like this figure a lot. As many have mentioned though, standing him is a slight issue but once he is standing he won't topple over. At least mine never has and I bought from the first run, I don't recall how long ago this came out.

12. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, best Springer out there. I'm glad i got him (Springer was the one character I really wanted from childhood and never could find). That being said he's not as nice as most toys in the CHUG line.

I think you'll be reasonably pleased with your purchase. But he is not the best toy ever.

13. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    I think he's overrated. I love his alt modes but his bot mode is fugly.

14. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

Defender doesn't do static poses all that well, but holds more dynamic ones just fine. $110 is a bit much for him, but this is the best looking Springer homage toy we may ever see. Good for display, but not so much for fiddling with often. I don't think you'll be disappointed in him.

Besides, he's ~6", roughly the size of a Titanium.

15. King0722

King0722 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm lucky to have landed him at 60 dollars shipped. I loved Springer for years and years and hated repurposing toys and trying to accept Universe Springer as a worthy substitute. Warbot is hefty, and definitely a great toy. However, yes, he's a bit fragile feeling, the sword itself is reeeeeeally thin and that can be a problem...not to mention one of the dual pistols does not get secure on the fist. Personally, I can't recommend ANY deluxe sized toy at 110$...but I refused to get the Hercules toys for 100$ for a Voyagerish sized, so maybe that's just my frugality.

However, despite those few faults, I love love love the toy and am probably going to retire him to my little "Shelf of Fame" with my Masterpieces and City Commander.

16. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Someone makes add-on heels for him. Search that person out.

17. Ultra BuckNutz

Ultra BuckNutz Sharkticon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think you'll be pleased with him. I think the copter is great. The Cybertronian car mode is meh. Unlike some of the others, I really like the Bot mode aside from the shoulders. I've had pretty decent luck getting him to stand, but as someone beat me to the punch above, he does do dynamic much better than static. That's fine for me, because I've been able to to have some pretty epic battle poses with him and the Classics Wreck Gar.

Like most third party stuff, you may very well have some remorse when you think about how much you spent to get him, but putting that aside he's pretty awesome.

18. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    I have one and I enjoy it. I think he looks like a great stand in for Springer. That being said, I've only transformed him once and I don't think I'll ever do it again. Kinda scary on a few of those joints.

19. jerryitus

jerryitus Transformer vacuum

I never had good luck posing him, but if you can snag some heel attachments (not sure where you'd get them now) he is the best classics-type springer. I finally sold mine and went back to botcon springer for my display tho....

20. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    I like it but am also disappointed with poor build quality. The joints do not click accurately or tightly so it has some trouble holding poses. The pins in some places are not pins but are in fact hollow tubes that seem way weaker than what is needed to be durable. There is the heal problem as well. I do like the design and character and all the modes. The price is acceptable but after buying 1 I did not add a second to my MISB collection because I am still waiting for a better Springer.

I don't hold it against FansProject, it is a learning curve that they had to take. I would rate it 75/100.