I apologize in advance, but...

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Prowl, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Sinestro

Sinestro Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well other than owing an apology to all the staff who he outright lied to when asked if they were going to be paid, especially James McDonough and Adam Patyk who were both sacked for asking to be paid for work that was already published.

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    So even if they're no longer "owed" money, they've still never recieved payment for their work.

And hey, let's leave his insane of of this. It never hurt nobody.

3. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

I like Snyder's work, for the most part, but it can't touch what Robert's is doing with MTMTE.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No shit. Just animate this shit and call it a day. Not that comic book isn't an enjoyable form of narrative. More, like everyone else should take note.

5. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

As I said before, MTMTE literally brought be back to the Fandom, to the point where I went back and read some of the other IDW TF books after I started MTMTE -- but what struck me was how well it worked as continuation of the G1 cartoon. I mean, you'd need a little bit more back story with the war being over and Prime/Pax now being on walkabout, but beyond that, "they" could literally create a MTMTE Direct-to-DVD (or TV series), and market it as a continuation of the old cartoon. That, to me, would be a great way of handling it, without having to go through the other IDW TF stories (though I'd love a LSoTW special/mini-series, too).

Just thinking about possibilities here; G.I. Joe fans did get 'Resolute' a few years ago, which was, as far as I remember, a continuation/re-interpretation of the old cartoon, but with matured sensibilities. Though, at the time, there was no G.I. Joe series on TV... so I don't know how much that has to do with everything.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One other thing Violator. Always thought of myself as a goodie two-shoes Autobot fan. This series makes me love the Decepticons. If only MB understood that they aren't monsters. Just guys on the opposite side of our team.

7. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

I love all the characters in MTMTE, but I know what you mean. I'm typically an Autobot fan, but here I am with my Tarn avatar and Megatron sig, heh.

8. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    I wish more of my Transformers friends weren't such brain dead ******s that refuse to read MTMTE because "It doesn't look like G1" mentality.

To me MTMTE is the pinacle of Transformers writing and the best comic currently on the market. It blows my mind with every issue!

9. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    I wish I could get my non-transformers friends to read the books. No luck...

10. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

If you could get them to sit down and just read the first issue, you'd probably have them hooked. If they still didn't like it, well, you'd have to stop being friends with them...

11. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't want to do the 'OMG GEEWUNNERS LOL' routine, but I've had sort of the same experience with some friends/colleagues/whatevs. People that persist they are fan of the 'G1' looking Transformers from back in the day, bash the Bay movies for not being 'Transformers' whenever there's a new one coming out, and tell you they'd love to read a comic or watch a cartoon that reminds them of G1.

And still when you hand them a comic like MTMTE, for whatever bullshit reason, it's not what they want and it's not G1 enough. I mean, what the hell - these ARE the G1 robots!

I've just come to accept that the GEEWUN thing is at least partially true, and apparently, some people don't want things to get better - they just want to bitch bitch bitch. :) 

RiD is a decent comic, but MTMTE is pure gold in pretty much every department. It's an outright shame not more people are reading it, even with all the nods and fanwank I am convinved this book is highly accessible and FUN for casual readers as well.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  12. Super Lazuli

Super Lazuli Active Member

MTMTE is the first Transformers comic I have actually read, rather than just read about. It's like if Grant Morrison wrote a TF book.

It's pretty cool, I am in fact, purchasing issue 8 right now.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well I hope it's readership is enough to keep the comic aloft, I would be more devastated about this comic going under than Prime getting cancelled.

I love Optimus, but I honestly think this storyline is better because he's not in it. He and Megatron after Afterthoughts (one for a more literal reason, of course). The War is an afterthought. Roberts says, "screw the war, let's see what Transformers do when they're bored." lol.

14. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm probably a minority of one, but I find Roberts' over-emphasis on humour often really detracts from the series. He has mistaken "make everybody a smart wisea**" with "good characterisation".

Some of the humour is well done, but I'd say 80% of it just takes me right out of the story and I feel I'm reading the comic equivalent of "Whose Line Is It Anyway" or "Mock the Week" where panelists hang around making humourous asides and wry comments. Skids' "Wassup tiny ancient dude?" is probably a low point.

Don't get me wrong: Roberts can write. He can write REALLY WELL. He just needs to dial back the overdose of one-liners - he's not writing "Friends"; I'm all for some well-balanced comedy in TF, but the key is WELL-BALANCED. I find it off-kilter at the mo.

I haven't read the last couple of issues (or the Annual) so perhaps this has been redressed already.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I find that aspect of it refreshing. I'm kinda over the "Optimus you are weak because you side with the humans." speeches. I think their dialogue is also a compliment to what I mentioned before. They have been war machines for eons. What do they do now? There is another side to their being "alive" that we seldom get to see. We got some hints of it in G1, the way they rip on each other and have a buddy feel. But part of the reason I keep reading is because I am really into what's happening. But also because I love the voices he's giving these lesser characters.

16. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is where I have to respectfully disagree. :) 

I see where you are coming from - alot of the characters do seem to use the same kind of wisecracking jokes, a case of the writer's own type of humor heavily intwined with the product?

Unlike you though, I love it! It's right up my alley, and I'd rather read a comic that balances the grim misadventures with crazy humor like this than a comic that's devoid of any emotion other than grim despair...like pretty much every other Transformers comic out there.

More than Meets the Eye has it's own face because of the fun, and it reminds me of adventure movies like Indiana Jones, another product that wasn't afraid to alternate peril and death with funny bits. :) 

It hasn't been redressed in the last couple of issues, though. I'm glad for that - in fact, I'm happy Roberts has been able to keep delivering the same amount of fun from #1 issue after issue. If it's not your cup of tea, then yeah, the latest issues will not change your mind. :) 

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nope. I got weird looks because I was laughing out loud at the Tire shop while looking at my iPad (I buy these digitally). I never thought a Transformer "anything" would do that to me. Again, it's also the fact that this came from Decepticons that makes this series even more enticing. Decepticons are just warriors on the other side of a team. They still fuck with each other. They still have dreams and desires. It's not just "we want to kill."

18. HeroicC300

HeroicC300 Chats with Artists

News Credits:
    This. The fact that they flat-out lost all but three of the big names helps the comic; they aren't forced to use specific personalities. If Roberts wrote an episode of Prime, it'd feel out of place.

Also, the fact that a lot of the characters have issues that go beyond dead partners is what gives them their flavor. Red Alert in particular going to Rung to avoid a relapse is a nice touch.

19. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The last couple of issues haven't even mentioned Hot Rod or Magnus. This is all about the little guys.

I know I am an asshole for even hoping this, but I wish Michael Bay's new approach to TF4 had this type of feel. But I'm an asshole for even hoping.

20. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

See, this I don't get. I takes all kinds, I guess, but I thought I was, more or less, a "GEEWUNNER." But to me, MTMTE is a continuation of G1. These are all primarily bots from G1 -- it's not like it's Beast Wars or Bayformers.

To me, anyone who watched and enjoyed the G1 series and the '86 movie, shouldn't have issues with MTMTE, beyond maybe not liking some humor in their TF books.