I am the new Evel Knievel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zeta Otaku, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Today started like any other. Woke up, scratched myself, got ready for work. had some ice on the car, so I scrapped it off... until my ice scrapper snapped in half. Joy.

On my way to work, I hit some black ice during a turn. The road is a 4 lane highway, two going north, two south with a guard rail inbetween with a nice frozen snow bank encasing the rail. I slide into the rail/snow/ice, bounce off that hard and start spinning. I hit normal road just long enough to realize I'm going to go off road into more snow/ice and there's a large boulder coming RIGHT at me. I turn hard, praying to every diety I can think of that my car will respond. At the last second, my car turns HARD to the left, the wheels on the right side climb the rock and in doing so, roll my car over.

SO, there I sit, upside down on the side of the road at 6 AM in the morning. After doing a self check that I was A) physically ok and B) did not shit myself, I spend about 5 minutes safely lowering myself out of the seat and onto the ceiling of my car which is now covered in glass from my sun roof. you'd be AMAZED how difficult it is to unbuckle a seatbelt upside down. I spent the next 10 minutes trying to kick out a window since both front doors were about 4 inches deep in ice and snow. It was about this time someone knocked on the door asking if I was ok. I was and he easily opened the rear passenger door. I kicked the driver side seat back and I crawled out... in a sweat shirt and jeans... in 10 degree mountain coldness.

It wasn't long before the police showed up and closed off one lane. While they do this, I'm freezing as they ask me what happened. My wallet and phone are still in the car at this point, so they have to ask me everything since they wouldn't let me crawl in to get my stuff. Smart since who knew if the roof would continue to hold up the weight of the car.

An hour later the tow trucks come. I'm still freezing, literally turning blue and NONE of the cops would let me sit in their nice, warm, cars... jerks. Tow trucks come, close off the SECOND lane and it takes them about 30 minutes to roll my car upright and onto the flatbed to haul off to parts unknown... but not before I grab my cellphone and wallet. The cops leave me there as does the tow truck after giving me their card. I'm now stranded on the side of the road! I call my house, my dad picks me up... 40 minutes later and I'm feeling like I'm frost bitten.

We get to the place where my car was taken, I'm finally thawed and I see how bad the damage is. The sunroof is shattered, the windshield I JUST had replaced is cracked to hell, the roof is slightly dented near the windshield, fenders, hood, and front doors are dented to hell and the mirrors are hanging on by their innards. We empty my car out of anything of any value and we have my uncle tow the car back to his shop.

I think the car is totalled, but he says he might be able to fix it. Now, mind you, this is less than a MONTH after getting the passenger side of my car smashed up by a deer and less that 3 days after getting the windshield replaced thanks to loose gravel and 2 days after getting new snow tires put on >_<

Oh yeah, and I still went to work after all this. How's that for dedication?

2. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Damn dude, now I feel bad sending you that text message today that you probably (rightfully) ignored.

Glad you're okay though.

3. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    LOL Glad you ok but shit dude! You should have stayed home today.

4. Zeta Otaku

Ebay:
    Oh, trust me, I was definitely turtling at that point...

But yeah, glad I'm alright... and I always want to stay home from work.

5. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Holly crap...

Glad to see you got through un hurt...

Wierd how no one offered you a ride...

6. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    OMG, your cops are fucking dicks to leave you like that. I would think "protect and serve" includes not leaving somebody freezing on the side of the highway.

There are mountains in NJ?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  7. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wow, back when I rolled/totalled my truck in December of 1994 the first thing the cop did when he got there was had me get in his car because it was cold outside.

In any case, at least you're OK.

8. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Agreed totally. Complete jerks for just leaving you there and not offering you a ride home or even back to the police station. I mean, wtf?

9. Zeta Otaku

Ebay:
    Actually, this happened just over the boarder in New York.

10. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well that explains the lack of empathy. :p 

I just realized that it was December 17th when I totalled my truck in 1994. Also on black ice. Black ice is nasty. I was actually on a straight stretch of road when I hit it and went off the road.

11. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So...aside from the instant laxative affect, was it awesome? I once did a 360 on black ice, then just kept right on going. It was a bit fun, once I knew everything was OK.

12. Zeta Otaku

Ebay:
    the 360 was fun... the 180 onto the roof was pure terror. Hearing the hard ice cracking and thinking that it's the roof slowly getting crushed under the weight of the car is pure terror.

13. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    hehe yeah there are huge ones that around NY. And a little further south in Jersey they have bears!

But glad you're o.k, I would have definitely fainted. :lol 

14. Zeta Otaku

Ebay:
    Those aren't bears... those are cats that have been slowly mutated from the air over the years.

I'm from Jersey. I know things.

15. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Black ice sucks moose nuts. Glad you're ok, Zeta.

16. Thorns2010

Thorns2010 Well-Known Member

Sucks the cops didn't offer you a seat in their cars. Did you ask though?? I mean, I know they still should have offered, but maybe they thought you were manly and stuff.

Its good to hear you are ok though!!!

17. bouncing boy77

bouncing boy77 Syntax Error

its good to hear you're ok. skidded last year due to black ice, good thing i wasnt going that fast and just went straight into a ditch and was able to back-up eventually. its really scary driving during winter. those cops should've let you wait into one of their cars.

18. Zeta Otaku

Ebay:
    tell me about it. and I DID ask...

"Normally that'd be no problem, but we won't be here much longer..." 20 minutes later, STILL there... asses...

same with the fucking tow truck... grrrr

19. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Good to hear you're safe after the adventure. I know when I put my truck upside down it seemed like ages to get out, when in reality it was probably only a minute or two.

20. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    glad youre okay dude.

turtling your car is always something to take pride in tho.