I am Thankful

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Brutus, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Brutus

Brutus Autobot

I just watched G.I. Joe the movie on Blu-Ray tonight. I am still a bit overwhelmed. But, all I could think about during the entire movie was how so many of the characters were so utterly different than their original cartoon predecessors. As cartoons, G.I. Joe was a more realistic concept and delivery of a show. However, as live action movies, the Transformers movies are much more realistic and believable.

I have to thank Bay, Speilberg and the writers for doing such excellent work on our Transformers and being loyal (at least) to the characters we love.

2. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hm. I never saw the original GI Joe cartoons (or any GI Joe cartoons for that matter), so that didn't affect my enjoyment of the movie. Still, I do think the TF films have stayed pretty true to the characters, if not in design, then in personality. I'm glad about that.

3. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Absolutely agreed bro. Though I'm new to the series, I'm thankful for a great Movieverse to enjoy :) 

4. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

i've been a fan since the start and the movieverse made me a even bigger fan no doubt!!

5. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I dunno about Bay and Co. staying faithfull, but I do know that the movies are darn entertaining and that these characters are new creations of those I have loved in series past.

6. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    :thumb 

7. MythofBlackout

MythofBlackout TF Fan Artist

News Credits:
    I thought G.I. Joe was an absolutely terrible movie and I know next to nothing about the original cartoons so I can't really say my opinion was influenced by how true they did or didn't stay to the characters. I just thought the performances were (mostly) wooden, the action relatively uninspired, and the CGI almost sub-Sci-Fi original movie in some places. All in all, I'm thankful that Transformers at least gave me two movies that, despite their flaws, I was able to enjoy.

8. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I thought both franchises were done well with the current movies. I didn't think I'd like GI Joe, but I think they pulled it off quite well.

It's refreshing to see a positive movie thread, let's see if it lasts.

9. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Cool story, bro. I fully agree.

10. Attacker_Prime

Attacker_Prime Optimus Prime forever

I haven't seen the G.I. Joe movie, and I didn't watch any G.I. Joe cartoons, so I can't really say anything. Though, I also thank the Transformers movies team for delivering us two excellent movies, with REALLY SMALL flaws.

11. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But something we can't deny is that adaptating Transformers was a much harder task than GI Joes.

You had to make all those robots believable, from the aesthetic to their purpose, with GI Joe you had to... give 'em less campy suits and BLAM DONE.

12. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    I'm sorry.

13. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think how true they stayed is going to vary by fans. Some people will feel like they stayed very true to the characters while other people will feel like they were way off the mark. You can't really say one fan is right and one fan is wrong because staying true is going to vary a great deal between fans.

Then you get into the whole by character and the waters get even muddier so you might say Snake Eyes and Soundwave really hit a lot of the old buttons while Bumblebee and Ripcord didn't seem like their old selves.

14. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I disagree. Transformers may be challenging, but it's a far more exiting concept. With GI Joe, it's not hard to make things more realistic, but the more realistic you make it, the less it'll appeal to kids and the less toys it will sell.

No matter how realistic you make Transformers, it's still giant alien robots that turn into stuff.

15. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

I like how they stay somewhat true to the original characters in the movies, Optimus is Optimus (although a bit grittier, but it's a different setting, he has to be that way), Bumblebee is a lot like G1 Bumblebee in that he's loyal and... yellow :p  ... Ratchet's a medical guy, Ironhide is tough, Jazz is "black" ( :lol  ).

Then for characters that didn't really have much a personality in G1, like Sideswipe, they can give a new personality to and people (shouldn't) have a problem with that lol.

And who doesn't love the tension between Starscream and Megatron in the movies? Very awesome and a nice nod to G1.

16. Shadow25

News Credits:
    In Sideswipe's case, though, I think it was more a matter of just placing a fitting name on the design. I really don't think he's related to G1 Sideswipe at all. Kind of like Energon Ironhide has nothing to do with G1 Ironhide. That still doesn't diminish my like for either character though.

I agree with you. I really don't mind that a few liberties are taken here and there. All five TF1 Autobots gave me no qestion that they were slightly modified versions of the old favorites.

17. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Slightly?
    I'd hate to see what you would consider "heavily" modified to be.

18. Shadow25

News Credits:
    Really?
    Prime is still the heroic, compassionate, and wise leader he's always been.
    Bumblebee is still Sam's charismatic guardian, though this one can't talk. I really don't think this has changed his personality though, just a different way of conveying it.
    Jazz is still the hip, slick leiutenant. Maybe a bit more "hip", but in what we saw of him he still felt like Jazz.
    Ionhide is still the big, tough guy always ready to fight. And he's still one of Prime's most trusted soldiers.
    Ratchet is still the intelligent medic. It's not like he had a ton of additional development in G1, anyway.

Just because Ironhide's not red, or Ratchet's not an ambulence, or Bee's not a Beetle, it doesn't mean their characters change. I definitely got vibes of each of these classic characters when they showed up. Heavily modified I consider Jetfire. Yeah, he's still a jet who's a convert, but he's a much different character besides that.

19. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    My point exactly. People have to look at the movieverse in a different perspective. This is a whole new idea. A New Plot. I hate when people start saying that it's not true to the G1 Cartoon. Honestly... this is the 21st century, not the 1980s. I'm a huge fan of G.I.Joe (Original Sunbow cartoon) but that didn't stop me from enjoying the movie. I looked at it in a new point of view (Just like I did for Transformers).

This thread needs more attention. Thanks for opening this thread Brutus. But don't get discouraged if others say that this thread is pointless here. ("Which I would bet my ridiculous government salary, is coming.":D  )

Three Cheers For The Transformers Movie Saga :thumb 

20. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'm going to have to disagree I think there some monumental shifts in the characters.

Prime kills a wounded Decepticon that can no longer fight back. That's a major personality change from the Primes we have seen in the past. Most of the past Primes seemed loath to take a life even in battle, but the movie Prime can't seem to kill enough. Could you imagine say if Primal was like this then we wouldn't have had Dinobot as a Maximal.

Bumblebee is also a major shift. Bumblebee in G1 and Animated was the plucky little guy that seemed really brave because he was outgunned and just not built for the fight. Movie Bumblebee might have a yellow paint job but he comes off more like GI Joe's Snake Eyes than Bumblebee.

While I will agree that a change of alt modes does not change the character I just can't agree that the robot we see up on the big screen are much like the robots we have seen in the past. You just can't change the Autobots from big metal boy scouts to Rambo and say oh they are exactly the same, or Decepticons from walking all over the humans to getting owned every movie and say oh it's same.