2D Artwork: "I am . . . MEGATRON!"

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Superquad7, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    When I first got back into Transformers in 2000, one of my first main interests within Transformers was illustration. I started drawing some of my old, favorite G1 bots, but when RiD hit I really got into the toys (and even the cartoon). After I got into RiD, I wanted to create a set of videos (this is before the technology to make DVDs was commonplace) where I'd end up making a boxed set of the whole series. The Rhino sets hadn't been out too long, and I really liked how they were done. I decided that I wanted a box, along with "animation cels" as well as artwork that I could multipurpose. This is one such illustration.

Here is the original inked line art:

[​IMG]

colored:

[​IMG]

This is another one of the first full pieces I've colored using Photoshop, and I created it after the "Brothers" piece.

You may (or may not) like the "dull surprise" sorta expression, but I've always enjoyed it, if used appropriately. Hopefully, you'll enjoy it here :) 

This one was little harder, because I didn't have the toy with me at the time. I essentially went by a screen capture, but I still wanted to retain toy accuracy. I felt I achieved my goal here :) 

If you're interested, the original project thread can be viewed here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/210830-rid-set-w-extras.html#

Also, here is the gallery of the boxed set: RiD VHS boxed set - Scratch Built Customs - TFW2005.COM

Thanks for lookin' :) 

Attached Files:

2. MustardwKetchup

MustardwKetchup Well-Known Member

Neat man! I was always a fan of the dull surprise look too.. that and the WHAAA? look. XD

A couple of things that would make this pop though, would be more variation in line thickness, and deeper shadows. You've got it going on in that purple area
    near his left shoulder, where you have those very thing lines. So thinner lines, like on the nose, hopefully would give the sketch more feel of depth. Thicker lines can be used to separate body parts in space.

I also see that you've got darkening of some colors, which of course is the shadow. changing the opacity of the shadow to be darker or maybe make the shadow a bluish color would make it really jump out. ^^

3. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Yeah, I totally agree with you. I won't be touching this one again though (as with the other RiD pieces). They've been "finished" for a few years, I've moved on, and just forgotten that I hadn't posted them here.

I definitely appreciate you taking the time to interact with my work like you have; it means a lot :) 

4. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Looks good man :) 

5. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Thanks! :) 

6. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Wow, that looks absolutely terrific!

I wish I could draw and do illustrations of TFs as good as you.

7. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    :jawdropper:  Wow, I guess I know why you're 1 of the mods for this section..impressive and I like the RID stuff too.. I had no idea SQ7..Keep on drawing :D 

8. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Thank you so very much for your kind words; I really appreciate it!

As for taking on illustration yourself, my advice is:

• Do it! The more you do of anything is the better you'll get!
    • Gain inspiration and advice from others. The Fan Art section here has a wealth of guys who are currently creating a lot of cool artwork! Some of the top illustrators have come from this very section!
    • Be willing to learn and go after knowledge! The tutorials here are a great place to start (scroll down for the illustration-related tutorials)!

I hope that helps some! :) 

Hehe, well, I'm the only current active mod for the Creative section, not counting our forum Super-mods and Admins. I started out with illustration and have been creating illustrations since before Transformers were created (woo, boy that makes me sound old :lol )! I started some freelance illustration work around 10 and have made artwork off and on virtually my whole life. :) 

As for the Fan Art forum, I've always loved Transformers artwork, whether it's illustration or customs, and I continually want to see it grow :) 

I've been needing to dust the rust off of my illustration bones, especially since my injury a little over a year ago (fractured my wrist). You'd be surprised how much motivation can be given to someone just by posting in a thread like this (or posting the thread, from my end :lol ).

I really appreciate the kind words, gang; thanks :D 

9. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The ink work carried over nicely with the coloring job. :)