I am in shock

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by er4smiths, Jul 7, 2008.

1. er4smiths

er4smiths Optimus Prime Titan

I feel like I just was in a Twilight Zone episode. So I took the advice of a fellow board member about an Activator Bumblebee sighting at a local walmart. So I left early this morning to stop by that Walmart on the way to work to see if I could pick up the Activator Bumblebee this morning. I find them (their were two) and I go to buy them and as soon as the girl scans the first one - she says "oh, I can't sell you these" - I was like "huh?" I mean imagine my surprise. She said the item came up as "recalled" or something meaning the Company(Hasbro) has recalled the item. So long story short - I had 2 of them in my hand in the store, but left the store empty handed. Needless to say I was pissed. They said I could call the toy dept manager later today.
    Anyone have any suggestions on why this happened or what I should say?

2. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

There must be a street date on the figures. Same thing happened to me when they put the movie figures out before the street date.

I complained due to my treatment, in front of my daughter and got a gift card.

If it is on the shelf they needed to sell it is not your fault but theres.

3. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sounds really weird, and like a computer SNAFU... my TRU was restocking Actvators over the weekend and let me snag a BB out of the snipping box and buy it.

4. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Well, you could always wait a week and go back and buy them then. No harm done.

5. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Not actually true (assuming US commercial law works the same as here) - they're not obliged to sell you anything, and they don't have to sell at the price shown - even though they almost certainly will. The price tag is, IIRC, an 'entreaty to sell' (or something similar); the sale isn't guaranteed till money changes hands.

6. FatMick Prime

FatMick Prime Aaaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!!

News Credits:
    'Invitation to Treat'

7. er4smiths

so should I call the toy dept manager - and discuss things - or just take it up the tailpipe like Jim Carrey says in Liar Liar?

8. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    It's not that big of an issue. As long as you didn't actually put out money for the toys, why not just wait a week or so then come back for the toys later? I mean, it's not the end of the world if Target can't sell them yet.

9. er4smiths

Yeah you're right - it just stinks to put forth that effort for someone else to be able to come in the next week at any time and snatch them up.
    Oh well, that's life sometimes..

10. Blackstar

Blackstar Aaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! TFW2005 Supporter

Back when the movie figures were coming out, my local walmart put them out early. So, being that they were there, I tried to buy Voyager Ironhide and all the Robot Heroes that were out at the time. The computer came up with "unable to sell, recalled" just like the activators did with you, so they were promptly taken out of my hands, put in a buggy, and taken to the back. Here's the kicker:

THEY REALLY SENT THEM BACK TO HASBRO!

On the day the movie figures were to be set out, I went to the same walmart, expecting these "recalled" figures to be out, but all I saw were empty pegs for the movie figures. They didn't have them because they'd shipped them all back for being 'recalled'. So, the wife and I went to the mall and Toys R Us, and bam, there they were.

Long story short, Walmart doesn't know what's going on half the time, and it wasn't the cashier's fault. If anything blame the fact that they can't stock worth a crap at any store, blame it on toys having/not having release dates, and lazy walmart policies. That's what's wrong.

11. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Wal-Mart=crackheads.

12. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Yeah, but they have a new logo! Isn't that exciting? /snark

13. lars573

Completely. Wal-Mart however is a prime example of you get what you pay for.

14. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    :lol 

My Walmart just started selling the Animated line...so no Activators yet...

15. Blaster_Prime

Blaster_Prime drank the last beer

This has happened to me twice before. Once with a First Encounter movie two-pack and Optimash Prime when the movie toys were coming out, and second more recently with an Animated Dlx Bumblebee at a TRU before they lifted the street date.

It happens more often than it should, retailers don't bother checking the boxes before they put them on display.

16. lars573

I just saw activators at a Wal-Mart yesterday. On pegs that said movie scouts. :rolleyes2 

17. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Happened to me last year when I tried to get movie ironhide and swindle.
    The clerk told me they could'nt sell them to me until midnight of a certain date.

So I came back at midnight on that day and bought them. Glad I did, Never saw another regular ironhide after that point.

I'm estimateing another two weeks before classics will be stocked.

18. Kingplay

Kingplay Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    same thing happened to me