I am done with Animated. Here's why...

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Johnator, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

When I first saw the promotional artwork for Transformers Animated I was horrified. "My God what did they do to Transformers" were somewhere along my thoughts. The appearance of the robots was awful and just ugly to look at. At first I thought maybe it was a joke but unfortunately that was the actual style. That said I decided to give the show a chance. Beast Wars wasn't exactly in my exact tastes and it turned out to be a great show. The reason why because it had a strong storyline for the most part.

I have tried to watch every Transformer show hoping one would lead to a new, cool one. I have watched every episode of the first season and even today's Elite Guard episode. For today's episode my brother came over and we watched it since I needed a second opinion and honestly only my wife and brother even know I like Transformers still (none of my friends have a clue). I knew he would be honest about it since I tend to be more of a G1 and BW fan and he could care less. As we sat down to watch it his initial reaction was basically mine "These things don't even look like robots! What the" We watched the episode and needless to say he wasn't impressed either. This pretty much confirms how I felt and that I am pretty much done with Animated.

I guess I am writing this because I felt I gave it more than a fair chance and honestly it just hasn't grown on me at all. The writing is decent and that is probably the strongest point of the show but the look of it is still not good at all. I honestly can't imagine buying the toys since they just don't look very cool. I also think even as a young boy I wouldn't have found these Transformers interesting or cool since it is really about monstrous, powerful-looking robots bashing each other in a huge war. That is really a boy's dream. :)  I had hoped I could find more beyond that for this show but to me there really isn't that much there.

Overall I hope those of you who like or love the show continue to do so and I hope it does do well for your benefit. I wrote this to give you a perspective that I hope is honest and not trying to bash anyone's opinion. If you love Animated I salute you but I am done with it and the Animated board pretty soon as well (still have to check TFW2005 daily though because I love lots of other lines of TFs :D ). Hopefully the next TF show is one I can get into more but until then enjoy it or any other Transformer line you collect!

2. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Fair enough.

Besides, you're in a better position than most of us - you'll have a bunch of money to spare from NOT buying the Animated figures.

3. lodestar21

lodestar21 Active Member

I'm getting an odd sense of deja vu. Didn't you post this already?

4. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

Why do you think we even care if you're going to watch it anymore or not.

5. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    QFT. Not to be a dick or anything, but hey... I don't see how you could be a G1 fan and not like this show. Sound writing, good characterization.... But some people can't date a girl unless she looks like a 10, even if her personality is great.

I choose to enjoy the fact that TF is still on, and this time, at least has competent writing and decent character development. Much more so than the few bright shiny moment of RID on through A/E/C.

6. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good for you. But I must ask, now that you're done with animated, does this mean that you will not be posting in further Animated threads? I mean, what would the point be for you if you're truely done with it. Or are you going become like Noisemaze and feel that you need to post in every thread that Animated sucks as if your opinion should matter to us and change our minds to agree with yours?

7. Metalhead

Metalhead hates things

So.... you're not watching it because your brother doesn't like the look of the 'bots?

Ok well, I'll watch it twice, once for me and once for you

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  8. razorchrist

razorchrist Sniper

Easy. G1 didn't look like the bastard child of The Tick vs Teen Titans vs Samurai Jack. They looked like robots. Aaaand we're not 8 years old anymore. We're (mostly) adults discussing & debating a cartoon clearly built for 5 year olds that happens to carry the same moniker of a toyline we've held onto for more years than we should admit. Looking at it that way, there is no win here.

While I personally happen to like the show, there's no way I expect anyone who liked G1 to instantly like this. More than anything, I expect everyone who is/was a G1 fan to have a "WTF!?" reaction when they see Animated. For as crazy different as the Movie designs were, Animated is a FAR bigger departure from any transforming robot designs & style we've ever seen under the TF moniker. I'd be more worried if any TF "vet" saw this and instantly thought "ZOMG! this is the best thing to happen to TF EVAR!" .

9. SuzyPrime

SuzyPrime The friendly lurker

Amen to that. If you're truly done and admit your bias, then it would be prudent to move on and leave the discussion to the fans.

Bye.

10. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed. All you do is complain about it. To be honest I'm glad you're done with it. Your post won't be cluttering the board.

11. MaikeruSan

MaikeruSan KnightStalker

News Credits:
    I have to agree. Why do people make long drawn out speeches about how they dislike animated. We could care less. Just to add G1 wasnt that good of a series either. The only thing I think that made it loved is the whole nostalgia of it being the first transformers series. That dosent necessarily mean its the best and is far from being the best (1.BW/BM, 2.TFA, 3.G1). Even toy wise I can only think of one animated figure I dont like and thats oilslick. But I dont hate any series they are all good in there own way.(not including the unicon trilogy of course)

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Okay, bye Johnator.

I've been meaning to ask myself the same question. I mean, voicing your dislike in an ongoing discussion is fine. But starting a whole new thread about it just doesn't make a whole lotta sense.

I mean, I don't start threads about how I'm done with G1. (well, I'd be lying, but you get my point)

Oh well, it'll be nice not to have to deal with posts that rip on our favourite non-CGI cartoon as we've just finished watching it. We'll save that for once the series is over.;)  :lol 

:lol  Too true.

13. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Thank you

14. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    I'll agree that the characters (Except for Serious face Blitzwing) make for some terrible Toys in my mind, but I'm still loving Animated.

15. Mxprime

Mxprime Banned

Why do all these people who don't like the show make new threads its getting annoying, I understand you want to show give your opinion and I respect that but do you really need a whole thread. Its not like everyone who likes it makes a new thread solely to say how much they love the show, they at least post in already existing topics.

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    QFT.

17. puppylove

puppylove mini ops caretaker

News Credits:
    i agree with the people here pointing out how you are clogging the board with your personal opinion. it is okay to have opinions, but maybe consider getting yourself a blog or online journal and venting there instead of here... seriously.

18. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    Is there an "I thoroughly dislike Animated" thread for all those folks complaining that new threads shouldn't be started for the topic (how many have there been, seriously? I can't imagine more than a handful).

Aaaanywho, he said he's done with this part of the forum and is on his way out. I don't see the point in badgering him about his opinion, and in all honesty, he's been the most civil in here. His "I don't like it, but best luck to the rest of you" compared to "WTF are you doing messing with our fun! GTFO already!" posts really. . . I'm just not sure what to think.

So farewell, and best wishes in your own TF endeavors. Though the show may not be to your liking, still lookout for a few toys, as I recall hearing that Hasbro would be de-stylizing some of the figures so that they would fit in better with some of the other lines.

19. MrMurder

MrMurder Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    i'd say you have a point here...
    but look at the facts - there are a multitude of people commenting on the subject so obviously people have something to say about it.
    *just looking at the irony of the whole thing*

20. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

can I comment on how much I LOVE the show? :D 

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.