I am considering selling my G1 collection, need advice!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Delvi$, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Delvi$

Delvi$ New Member

Ebay:
    Thinking about selling my collection of 200+ G1 Transformers on Ebay, some a little worse for ware, but mostly good condition with all guns/accessories. Sad to see them go, big part of my childhood, anyone got any idea how much I should start the bidding at/what the entire collection is worth? Or should I sell them separately?
    Thanks.

2. Dogbomber

Dogbomber Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Start with 0.99 but set a reserved price in case you change your mind.

Selling separately is definitely faster and easier compared with selling in lot. With the reissue coming in soon after DOTM, G1 price will drop again.

3. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    If you have the time/not in a money crunch, seperately would definately be worth it. If you post a picture of have a list, Im sure some of the knowledgeable members can give you a ballpark estimate.

4. Delvi$

Delvi$ New Member

Ebay:
    Thanks for your replies...

...here is a rough list (off the top of my head), *denotes broken/damaged

Optimus Prime*
    Grimlock
    Sludge
    Snarl
    Slag
    Prowl
    Hound
    Sunstreaker
    Sideswipe
    Smokescreen
    Mirage
    Jazz*
    Grapple
    Ratchet*
    Wheeljack
    Hoist
    Tracks
    Brawn
    Cliffjumper (yellow)
    Huffer
    Gears*
    Windcharger
    Cosmos
    Powerglide
    Wheelie
    Jetfire
    Hot Rod
    Kup
    Blur*
    Blur (Targetmaster)
    Wreck-Gar
    Metroplex
    Silverbolt
    Air Raid
    Fire Fight
    Skydive
    Slingshot
    Strafe
    Nosecone
    Afterburner
    Ultra Magnus (unpainted)
    Twin Twist
    Topspin
    Springer
    Sandstorm
    Goldbug
    Wideload
    Rollbar
    Freeway
    Searchlight
    Chromedone
    Brainstorm
    Nightbeat
    Crosshairs
    Shure Shot
    Sizzle
    Fizzle
    Guzzle
    Grotusque
    Override
    Backstreet
    Dogfight
    Optimus Prime (powermaster)
    Joyride
    DoubleDealer
    Wave Rider
    Catilla
    Gunrunner
    Bumblebee (pretender)
    Grimlock (pretender)
    Jazz (pretender)
    Vroom

Megatron*
    Soundwave
    Skywarp
    Thrust
    Dirge
    Lazerbeak
    Buzzsaw*
    Frenzy*
    Rumble
    Ravage
    Cyclonus
    Scourge
    Bombshell
    Kickback
    Shrapnel
    Ransack
    Motormaster
    Dead End
    Breakdown
    Drag Strip
    Wildrider
    Onslaught
    Brawl
    Swindle
    Blast Off
    Vortex
    Headstrong
    Hun-Gurr
    Blot
    Cutthroat
    Rippersnapper
    Sinnertwin
    Snaptrap
    Nautilator
    Overbite
    Seawing
    Skalor
    Tentakil
    Astrotrain
    Octane
    Apeface
    Sixshot
    Runabout
    Runamuck
    Skorponok
    Weirdwolf
    Mindwipe
    Fangry
    Triggerhappy
    Misfire
    Battletrap
    Flywheels
    Flamefeather
    Sparkstalker
    Bugly
    Submarauder
    Wildfly

There are probably more that I can't remember! I also have numerous micromaster teams and powermasters. With the exception of one of Sunstreaker's shoulder missiles, I think I have pretty much all the accessories that came with the figures.

5. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

That is a lot of figures!

I would always say to piece them out, if you have the time. Some of those figures have quite decent values on the secondary market and may not get appreciated in a lot.

6. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You'll get more money if you sell separately. If you get down to the dregs of the lot you can sell in groups at that point, but big batches almost always lose money.

7. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    If you have time sell them separately. You'll want to check ebays completed auctions to get an idea of what they are going for.

8. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    separately, with a BIN just under what the completed listings show for each figure,

9. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I'd definitely stick the Headmasters and Targetmasters up separately. Those always go for a nice amount if complete or at least with the Nebulans included. Often I'll see a couple of people bidding against each other on something like that.

10. Deadboy

Deadboy Well-Known Member

Looks like a great collection. Honestly, my advice is to not sell. I sold off my collection once, and I regretted it later when I got back into Transformers. But if you have to sell, you should definitely piece out the more expensive ones... You can get $300ish for Scorponok alone, easily, and the rest of the Headmasters get between $75 and $100 if in good, complete condition.

Lots are good if you just want to get rid of everything quickly, but you will definitely see a smaller return because people are looking for massive bargains with lots.

11. coppertop5150

coppertop5150 Well-Known Member

i just sold 50+/- tranformers G1 on ebay ,
    some in a lot ( small bots ) didn't feel like listing em seperate
    the others seperate ( and glad i did )

You will get alot more money selling each one seperate.

people buying the big lots are usually dealers/resellers. They buy um and put them in their ebay store as buy it now or just relist them seperate

12. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    What I would do is group them up in small groups/lots. Take a desirable figure and group him with a few that aren't so desirable. But make sure you do your homework and check out recently completed auctions.

13. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I personally wouldn't sell it, but if you're in need of money....then you have to do what you have to do. In order to get the most out of this, I would sell them separately. Selling in lots tend to have the seller lose money unless there's a bid war that goes insane.

Like some have suggested, do a search on ebay for a list of completed auctions to see how much they sold for. Write down the cheapest one and the most expensive one and decide what amount you want. Or, you can average it out and have your asking price in the middle. If you don't want to take the time to do all that, then start the bid at $0.99 cents and let it go from there. If you don't put a reserve on it, then you can stand to sell one or several for $0.99. But that is all up to you :)  This will take some time as I have noticed you have quite a collection! But, as mentioned, if you needed the money, might as well try to get as much as you can.

14. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    careful with that Megatron tho. Might have some trouble auctioning off that, you may want to consider selling it on a forum like this one.

15. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    im sorry I deagree with alot of the remarks most have left you about selling your collection.

It would be easier to sell it was 1 large lot, or 2 lots (say 2 lots of 100+ each) As if you list each toy on ebay their a fee for just listing them on ebay if they sell or dont sell. Then you will have multply packages to get ready and ship out. plus with mulpty listing you will have to keep track of who pay for their winning auctions. Aslo with mulpty listing what are you going to due with the ones that dont sell.
    as far as shipping them in large lots,its cheap if you do fedex ground that how i got everything back from ca after botcon 09. It was super cheap.

Also you may want to try to sell the whole lot on craigslist. that why you dont have to worry about any listing fees or shipping cost

16. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Autobot Strategist

Damn, gonna have to scour for this guy's auctions.

17. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    The issue with selling it as a lot is that you stand to lose a great deal of the value unless you have a reserve set.

As coppertop mentioned, dealers are always on the hunt for lot auctions to snatch up for a fraction of the secondary market value.

So while it might be "easier" to sell it as a lot because it's over and done with once it's sold and shipped, that does not make it a better option.

I would not advise selling as a lot on Craigslist unless you actually get a fair offer, which won't happen with about 90% of the offers you get. Most of your offers, though, are going to be from dealers who will hope you are desperate enough for the cash that you'll take 20-30% of the overall value. You'll just have to trust me on this from someone who has been involved in a few bulk deals. Dealers want to buy cheap and flip it for considerable profit.

However, if you do go the Craigslist route and you get a good offer, you must insist that the buyer meet you in a public place, like a mall food court or a busy store parking lot. (I usually opt for meeting in a Walmart parking lot.) You do not want a stranger coming to your home and knowing where you live.

What I would advise, if you have the time and you decide to go the ebay route, is to break your collection up into smaller "themed" lots: Autobot sports cars, Dinobots, Minibots, Pretenders, Seekers, combiner sets, etc. And then sell the higher value ones (like Soundwave, Metroplex, Jetfire, Ultra Magnus, Headmasters, TFTM toys, Powermaster Prime) individually.

And as others suggested: do the research -- find out what stuff is selling for.

Start items at a low bid, but set a reserve if you want to make a specific amount off them.

And if you're sad to see them all go, but you need the money, keep the ones that have the most nostalgic value to you. If I was in your place, the ones I'd want to keep are G1 Jetfire, Soundwave, Grimlock and the Dinobots, Optimus Prime, Seekers, and Stunticons. The rest of them may have memories attached, but every collector has favorites they can't bear to part with while others are easier to let go in a financial crunch.

And you might also consider selling to other collectors here on the Junkion Exchange. We're a community, and many of us don't like the bidding wars on ebay and will gladly pay good value for TF items from a fellow collector. We also help each other out when members fall on hard times. Don't sell to some greedy vendor -- give your collection a good home and get good value for it in return.

18. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Last time I sold some doubles, I listed them individually with a starting bid around 20% lower than the completed listings.

19. coppertop5150

also keep in mind you dont have to list a bunch of auctions at once.

Pick out say 5 toys for seperate auctions... List them.. once those auctions end payments are recieved .

package mail them off , then next week list 5-10 more auctions...

This way your not over whelmed ....

20. coppertop5150

also selling as a lot you might be asking thousands of dollars....

Well you just cut out alot of buyers that dont have thousands to spend...

selling seperate you will get more buyers that can bid.