I am beginning to dislike Bot Shots

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Ratchets Hatch, Sep 25, 2012.

1. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    :lol 

I don't and never have cared for Bot shots. When I sometimes go to stores I don't even look at them....Waste of plastic & space imo.

2. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

On the other hand my little boy LOVES them, far more than he loves the corbot WFC optimus axe upgrade, or sets of repro lables. To make matters worse, not only does he open and play with them without a second thought for the secondary market, he also regularly passes over chasefigures in favour of cheap plastic neon trash like bumblebee.

What a ****** he is.

Edit. Autocorrect strikes again.

3. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Terrorcon King

I think you're my new hero.

4. opt1musaber

News Credits:
    Good for you, want a medal?

5. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    Lower price point TFs have probably always been necessary to make a sale to kids who effectively have low buying power...and to help enforce sales on more expensive toys.

The trouble is Bot Shots aren't part of the main Transformers line, all the price points are low. Furthermore they're becoming pervasive at a time when people are probably spending less on toys and the current Transformers media doesn't have great reach.

As toys, i'm indifferent to them..... But what i think they may hold for the general direction of the line......i frankly absolutely hate.

6. Cha Chi

Cha Chi Minimondomayhem

News Credits:
    I think they look great, they're a basic but decent representation of a character in simple form, they are neat and brightly colored and the game doesn't seem so bad.

I want to get one or two, three or four so when my kids want to get my TFs off the shelf i can just give them a botshot instead... :) 

7. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Extra like OMG

I want one & must purchase him tomorrow. That's right, I like cutesy crap.

8. philipjreed

philipjreed Well-Known Member

Love 'em! I keep a few on my desk at work.

9. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've only got a couple.

Megatron
    Nemesis Prime
    Acid Storm
    Starscream
    Thundercracker
    Skywarp
    Shockwave

Optimus
    Optimus Launcher

That is all unless I find a Soundwave, Blaster, and Ultra Magnus, and the Cone Heads. This is my first set of complete seekers, lol.

Other than those, I have no interest in the line, I really don't like them, just the homage to the Characters.

10. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

Botshots are what they are, they're general release gashapon toys. To be all up in their tiny little grill for being cheap crap is just a bit daft.

As far as i'm aware nobody even bothers sneering at those cheap little japanese rubber transformer figures for not having enough articulation, or being 'ghetto' transformers. They are cheap little rubber figures after all. Similarly the Kabaya gum toys which, with a couple of notable exceptions, are pretty much total shit (sorry, but they are) again are accepted as being generally shit but interesting little do-dahs.

Botshots are all of the above, but they are not replacing shelf-space that would otherwise have been dedicated to beastwars unicrons or fort max encores, and their similarity to bakugan is a reaction to market pressure rather than Hasbro greedily using The Cheap Neon Plastic for everything. We're in the middle of product development that began at the height of an economic downturn and botshots are the result. A kid-friendly, cheap, collectable, game-ified toy. If they keep the brand strong you can look forwards to many years of things you do want*

I actually wonder if bot shots had only received a japanese release the attitude towards would be slightly different, but that is another fun-filled internet argument altogether.

Nah you're alright, being a better poster than you is reward enough. :p 

*with the possible exception of beastwars unicron.

11. opt1musaber

News Credits:
    It seems like you're directing this to me. Why are you replying to someone who says they don't care for a line of toys when it's his OPINION. I am simply answering the thread title. Did I ever say you shouldn't buy it? I absolutely fuckin hate Bot shots and anything similar, but I've never voiced my opinion by creating a thread or anything. This thread happened to show up where I share a similar view to others. I said I don't care for them and they're a waste of space IMO. If your son likes them GOOD FOR HIM.

Keep living in your fantasy land thinking your better for whatever reason, because you're starting to come off as a troll.

12. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

i'm not.

i'm not.

Anyway, whilst you are perfectly entitled to an opinion that doesn't mean your opinions are somehow automatically exempt from anybody disagreeing with you. Stop being so touchy.

would it help if i'd put a winky face emote at the end?

13. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    well, I respect opt1musaber's opinion on them, but honestly he can hate them all he likes and it's not going to change the fact that they're doing well, and we will likely see a big expansion of them in 2013. I think they're gonna be around for quite awhile to come.

I'm also wondering why, and anyone feel free to answer this for me, that botshots is being compared to bakugan? I've never really seen any bakugan stuff or know what it is for that matter. These are just mini/chibi tf's to me, so I'm kinda wondering what the comparison is? Is it the game element itself? I think that's more for little kids anyway.

14. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

Bot Shots dislike you too. They are cuddly. Thee shalt not diss thy Bot Shots.

15. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Personally, I like Robot Heroes better. In a perfect world, I'd rather have THOSE back on the shelf.

At least the last sets that were shown and either not released or barely released.

16. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

I'd imagine they'll introduce some new gimmick to them towards the end of 2013 - something like friction motors, or even LEDs & sound chips* - to freshen up the line before it trails off.

Until they do that there are definitely more botshots to come, given their popularity.

*but never sparking variants, sadly. presumably they don't get made anymore for scurrilous health & safety reasons?

17. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    They're nothing more than modern Choro Q figures if you ask me. And Choro Q came well before that Bakugan crap.

18. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I don't collect them, but I like their head sculpts. Some of them would be ideal for Animated customs. But as toys, I think they're neat for what they are.

19. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Have we forgotten the Basic Beast Wars early years? Those figures had gimmicked, flip-activated Transformations and they were still fun, great designs and awesome looking characters. If Hasbro brought back such a thing I hardly think they'd sacrifice articulation for the sake of the gimmick. Or at least I'd like to think they wouldn't.

Now let's be honest here, the part I bolded, there's a reason why Deluxes aren't selling and isn't because of price increase. At least it isn't ONLY because of price increase. Hasbro has oversaturated their market with that god awful yellow army and not one damn parent is going to keep buying the same toy over and over again if distributors can't get the new product on the shelves because of that god damn pegwarming bastard.

As evidenced by the point that nothing past case assortment one deluxes has appeared anywhere in Canada yet because of piss poor sales caused by an overabundance of Bumblebee, and to a lesser extent Cliffjumper and even Wheeljack.

While in the states characters like Knock-Out, Dead End, Hot Shot, Vehicon, Airachnid and such have not only made it to shelves, but probably kept being sold while the BBs and such kept piling up.

Deluxes still sell very good, it's just the lack of rotational stock that seems to indicate they aren't.

Bot Shots are a great lifeblood infusion that Transformers has sorely needed since the flop that was DotM's toyline. (Hell one of my local TRUs is still loaded down with deluxe DotM figures, they just recently put out even more cases. Just clear them out at 3$ a piece already and get rid of the damn shit.) They are a bonus for kids and parents alike in these troubled economic times. And the only reason why I personally am not interested in them, is because if I buy just one, knowing how I collect and operate and think as a collector I'd go completist hard core on the damn line and have far too much funds taken up by them better served to other stuff I really want and would prefer to focus on in my collection.

Bot Shots are perfect $$$ cows for the mainline brand, and if Hasbro's case planners would get their collective heads out of their arses for two seconds maybe we'd have a much better distributed and even toyline again.

The resources to make up a ton of simple little bot shots doesn't take up much money in the grand scheme of things, and perhaps its profits will lead to bigger and better offerings from Hasbro.

20. ScottyP

ScottyP Got The Touch

News Credits:
    Probably why they're taking up so much space - at least around here, these things MOVE. I mean, they sell fast as all hell based on the "eye test", moreso than any TFs I've seen in a long time.