I always wondered what is considered the holy grail of transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by tb-1599, May 5, 2011.

1. Depthcharge

Depthcharge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For me it was Chevy Aveo Swerve. It took me so long to get my hands on one of those and, thanks to some dirtbag mail thief, multiple attempts.

2. taterx

taterx Lurkin since Transfandom

Wow folks getting offended over this poor members simple query...lol.
    The bot I recall being sighted most in these type of threads is a G1 Fort Max. I dont know why cats get bent like Old Ben over absolutes.

3. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

i think they chopped a bunch of these at TFCON.

as for me? i buy what i like. all the toys that i have are must haves in my collection. the one that i've ALWAYS wanted since i started collecting back in 2007 was MP04. i think he's the perfect representation of why i started collecting in the first place. took me two years i think to finally get it. getting MP04 for xmas was the best.

as for the thread topic, it should G1 AFA graded. any of the G1 toys should do. from BB AFA graded to fort max AFA graded. an entire collection of the entire G1 toy line AFA graded would be the best collection here i think.

either that or the first ever diaclone released as the first transformer in north america with proof of authenticity from hasbro. first transformer that came out of the factory.

4. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    His version is dressed in black too, so yeah. :) 

5. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Briefly the owner of KB Toys

News Credits:
    To *ME* the term grail really should be reserved for those things that are nearly impossible to obtain, even if the disposable income is there....If it's on Ebay or even Yahoo Japan on any given day....every month...even a few times a year I'd say I don't really count it as a "grail". That doesn't mean that those items like Fort Max aren't high on many collectors wish lists, but they just aren't that great white whale that you MAY see once or twice in a lifetime and many of the transactions where they are exchanged are done in private and among a pretty small circle of usual suspects :p 

If I was going to qualify items as "grails" I think I'd reserve that for

series 2 Brazillian Minicars and the Minicars from Mexico, Peru & Chille
    "Almost to production" yet Unreleased pieces (G2, Universe, etc...)
    test shots and lucky draws

Then there's the pieces that are absolutely unique, where a little digging could come up with the 1-2 TOTAL that may exist...hand painted samples used for Toy Fair and catalogs that may never have made it further along...The pieces we only hear faint murmurs about who owns them or see only in pictures. many others of these types of pieces are known only to the owner and maybe a few of his / her fiends...

G1 Unicron
    BWNeo Unicron
    G2 Autorollers Hound & Optimus
    G2 "low viz" Ramjet and Desert Camo Ramjet
    BW Albitron
    Orange Tigertron
    Armored Cyberjets
    G2 GoBots Brawn & the Acura that I don't think we ever got a name for IIRC
    Transtech Starscream
    Resin prototypes

Again, this is just *ME* and what *I* consider a realistic grail :) 

6. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    A complete Fort Max. It seems that having a fully complete Fort Max for a reasonable price is sought after.

7. doucoo

doucoo U're an idiot Starscream!

Ebay:
    Black Zarak MIB

Got all the G1 Bases MIB or close enough. Fort Max was mine before I got him........Absolutely love him! Wish I had him as a kid.

Swoop, for a UK, person was a good buy too, many years ago.

My personal one from my childhood was Soundwave with all the cassettes.

8. Omegatron Prime

Omegatron Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me i would love a mint, complete Star Saber and Deathsaurus. Those are some sweeeeet figures!!!

9. SSR

SSR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    im pretty sure this is at least the second time youve went overboard on a subject of this type. why do you let some random people on an internet message board you will never meet get you so riled up.

10. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    do you know the idea of "mildly offended"? It means a bit annoyed. This has also been discussed with the OP, within the thread already. I don't believe my post to have any rage.

I also see your post made no contribution to the actual topic at hand.

Also, do not give me the "chill out" talk. It was not a rage post. And you can say "lol internet rage" all you want. The fact is many members do get riled up, just at different topics people get annoyed at. When something hits your spot, you most likely, will as well. (btw, this statement is made only as a response to yours. It is in no way an indication that I was "raging" on the first post of this thread)

To remedy that for this post:

Personally, I understand there are "grails" of say, prototypes, and rares, etc. But being a toy collector I would have to say none of those are "attractive". The most you can do is really stare at them. You won't play with them. Spending thousands of dollars just to have something that you cannot play with in the transformers realm, isn't really my style.

11. SSR

SSR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    its not rage. its annoying whining. but obviously we are the most oblivious to ourselves.

we get it, you dont have cash to buy super rare transformers. get over yourself.

12. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Uh... money has nothing to do with it. But sure.

13. seali_me

non AFA fort max - the biggest brick on anyone's toy collection pretty much laughable. i'd check it out then proceed to more interesting ones. like exomega255, i actually play with my toys they don't just sit there. it just proves how far you'll go for a vintage toy. aka bricks.

unreleased toys if someone has them are holy grails. this proves how serious someone is for searching and purchasing these prototypes just to complete the entire collection. no one has a complete collection if this mind set is thrown since these things exists.

- TFA thundercracker
    - titanium shockwave
    - 1/32 scale alternator (no not alternity but alternator)
    - jazz alternator with porsche alt mode prototype.
    - etc

we've seen them but it was never released but they exist.

[​IMG]
    jazz alternator with porsche alt mode prototype.

[​IMG]
    1/32 alternator smokescreen

[​IMG]
    THE holy grail for any alternator/binaltech fan.

if you see someone boasting they have a complete ______ series and say they are very serious collectors. they tell them about these and ask them to if you could see it in person. this will drive them nuts. much like asking an englishman what language he speaks. do it watch and enjoy the hilarity.

14. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    For the longest time it was Botcon 2005 Ratchet for me. But I finally got him for less than a Kidney so....hmmm, don't have one anymore.

15. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    For me, it would be Takara's Fort Max because he comes with the honkin' big sword as well.

Him, and G1 Scorponok because he is not only almost as difficult to obtain complete, but he also represents who is possibly my favourite Transformer character ever.

This. However, I think a lot of people are willing to go and buy bricks as well solely because they represent characters they really like. Besides, Predaking is an expensive brick and he's still popular as hell. What gives?

16. seali_me

i just bought encore jazz. he's a brick. upon receiving it i told my buddy i almost forgot why i bought this brick and wanted to return it. my buddy and i laughed at how little playbility it has. i would buy predaking reissue in a heart beat but i have a family to support so this is very low in my priority. he's still in BBTS warehouse collecting dust. i bought encore jazz cause it would look good on my display with my other jazz. i bought a G1 devastator and a KO wst devastator cause it would also look good in my devastator display. i have very little nostalgia factor for TFs. i only 3 when i was a kid or i think only one.

17. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    Wait, what? Not Another 'what's a Grail' list? :lol  There's like a gazillion of them. :-/

18. seali_me

buy these DOTM as holy grails:

- DOTM HA bee redeco and skids
    - voyager Megatron
    - cyberverse bee

they will not last that long.

19. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    I'd say Animated Voyager Marauder megatron. The test shots have been seen, but where does it reside now?

Also, Animated Optimus Prime Powermaster Armour. Sketches were seen in the Allspark almanac, but I sometimes wonder if any prototypes were made.

20. doucoo

doucoo U're an idiot Starscream!

Ebay:
    if you see someone boasting they have a complete ______ series and say they are very serious collectors. they tell them about these and ask them to if you could see it in person. this will drive them nuts. much like asking an englishman what language he speaks. do it watch and enjoy the hilarity.[/QUOTE]

I don't get that?!!!