I always wondered what is considered the holy grail of transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by tb-1599, May 5, 2011.

1. tb-1599

tb-1599 Well-Known Member

Now we all have personal holy grails that we all want to get. But is there one figure thats usally agreed uppon that any serious Transformers fan would give their right arm for??

2. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I always thought from a US G1 perspective it was Fort Max.

3. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No. And that's the beauty of it.

4. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'd agree. The broad appeal and fact he's well-known makes Max the general grail for your western G1 collector. The Japanese molds, people have to work harder to get familiar with and start drooling over.

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    in General yes its Fort Max, but each collector tends to have personal grails that they desire to get, these usually have some special meaning to that person. often they are ones they had as a kid and really loved or never had as a kid despite wanting them and now finally can own them.

6. NormanB

NormanB Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Tuner Mudflap is the one I've been chomping at the bit to get for a long time.

7. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Fortress Maximus comes up in conversations like this a LOT.

8. soundwaveprime1

soundwaveprime1 Well-Known Member

g1 unicron

9. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Just sold my Fort Max :redface2: 

Still, at least I can say I've owned him. Due to a change of priorities, my grails have also been...amended accordingly. Now it's Takara Terrorsaur who I would say sits top of my list.

Isn't that what a grail is after all, just the figure that is number 1 on your TF shopping list?

10. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Isn't there like, one test shot?

11. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Which makes me feel so weird because I never had a desire to own a Fort Max. The only reason I can think of that makes sense to me is I stopped colleting TF's when he hit the market.

12. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    All depends on what kind of colector you are. I think it's almost impossible for there to be a Universal Holy Grail.

I know in my personal collecting lifetime every single "grail" I've fixated on has come to be with surprisingly little trouble eventually in one form or another, and I've actually sold most of them since.

My personal "gem" that ws the last REAL grail I obsessed over was a working Microchange Blaster. I have one, I love that thing, and I will never part with it. But a little patience and not even that much money eventually yielded me one.

Even the CRAZY rare stuff, like the mostly-un-produced-G2 figures are certainly IN collector hands, but because of the neon batshit decos, probably won't appeal very broadly.

To the average casual-US-fan, Fort Max is probably a good one, but getting Fort max is not hard at all, just a little pricey...and not even THAT pricey in the greater scheme of things...

D/L

13. hailstarscream

hailstarscream UNICRONIAN

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i agree. it depends on which generation you ask. if you ask the 30s collectors they'll say one figure. if you ask the 20s collectors another figure. Mid to high 30s might be Fort Max, mid 20s might be some Beast Wars figure and younger might be Ultra Magnus C.C. or FP Bruticus figures. i'm in my 30s and don't collect G1 toys and could care less about F.M.

14. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I find this statement mildly offensive. You used an absolute, "any serious transformers fan". So does that mean, if I don't care for it, I am not a "serious transformers fan"? How dare one judge another's passion about transformers just because he/she does not collect what "most people" will acknowledge as a grail?

For example, Fort Max is one of those that many people dream to have, that I could care less about. Am I seriously a transformers fan? My collection says so, and I say so as well.

I don't like to own a figure just because "everyone else considers it a holy grail". I care not for reputation of a transformer. When the design and engineering is good, or if it has special meaning to me (not to "everyone"), then I try to own it.

At the end, transformers is a collection, not a necesscity (as much as we joke around here about giving up right/left nuts, right/left arms, and our souls).

15. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    It's an honest, generic question. He's not implying you're not a serious collector, because he's not implying Max is in fact the answer to his question.

16. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I am not saying that it is the answer to the question. That's why I said "for example". There are "personal holy grail", and that's it. There is no such thing as a "any transformer's fan's holy grail".

edit:: I did answer the TC's question though. (the answer being there is no such thing) I thought I expressed it without rage, that I had problems with how the question is worded.

17. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    For me my personal grail is a PCC Dinopope 5pack.Of all the figures we have ever gotten or will get he is the one I must have above all others.Even tho he may not be sought after like other figs I just think he's one of the coolest PCC's simply cause of the Dinobot name.So I hope one day I can find him on here or somewhere for a reasonable price.

18. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

^ I would sell you mine (MIB), but the exchnage rate would probably be a deal killer.

Good luck with your 'Dinobot hunt' :D 

19. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    I think the rumor is that there are two, and one slipped into a private collection for around 10k

Wrong?

20. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I thought I read that as part of the Botcon exhibit of the G1 Unicron last year.