I Almost Lost Part of My Collection Yesterday

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Moonscream, May 26, 2008.

1. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Namely my UK Transformer comics and Hot Rod and Springer in their boxes on top of them, all in a box in my closet. Thank God that polybags at least moderately protect against excessive moisture. My cardboard 'Artvelopes' with my posters and prints in them got damaged, but I haven't had the room or the guts to open them up and look at which ones are damaged - hopefully not my G1 rear box art poster!

My upstairs neighbor is a Vietnam vet who took a bullet to the head, and while he's a 'high functioning' disabled person he's done a couple of things lately that have caused the managers to start talking to his relatives about moving him somewhere else, like an assisted living facility where he can be watched 24/7. Last week it was pouring too much lighter fluid on his charcoal in his grill on his second story porch, causing huge flames that had to be put out by the manager, and yesterday it was attempting to fix a drip in his bathroom sink without the knowhow OR shutting the water off. He dismantled the faucet, and when it became a fountain he walked away and went to the hardware store and back. Its estimated that the water was flowing for at least 45 minutes to an hour before the manager's relatives were called (the manager and her partner were out of town for the weekend and these were relatives who'd been the managers before them) and rushed over to shut the water off and clean up his apartment. I wasn't home and because I don't carry a cel phone they couldn't get a hold of me, but from the fact that when I got home 11 hours later to find my cat's litterbox full to the brim with water, a bubble in the ceiling, an inch of water STILL on the bathroom floor, and the carpet in my bedroom closet (where the box was among other things), the hallway, and the hallway closet COMPLETELY SOAKED, it must have been a pretty spectacular sight with all the water cascading like a waterfall out of my bathroom fan behind the toilet and the outlet by the sink! And obviously some of it went straight down the inside of the walls and out the bottom into the carpet.

The carpet and the lower parts of the walls are still wet, even with fans and towels on them...and partly because I made the mistake of turning the heat up and not opening all the windows before leaving for today with my visiting parents, which turned the place into a sauna...but now that I have borrowed fans and am home for the night I can have all the windows open, etc.

Poor Spike hasn't set more than a foot in the bathroom since, and currently has his litterbox in one end of the kitchen. He was the only one home, of course, and probably heard the noise and went to look...and then had to find another place in the apartment to go to the bathroom.

Yeah, it was not fun to come home to that late in the evening with a couple car loads of things from storage.

And fortunately I did not encounter the neighbor after I found the box with my comics and Hot Rod and Springer. The comics MIGHT be damaged, and Hot Rod and Springer and their boxes are fine...but anything or anyone harming or nearly harming my Transformers TOTALLY PISSES ME OFF and I was REALLY angry. (Note: kids doing so doesn't piss me off, I just keep the valuable and breakable ones out of their reach). It feels like a personal violation, even tho 'they're just toys/comics'.

I figured you guys would understand how I felt, tho.

--Moony

2. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    That sucks! Sounds like you should upgrade that storage box to one of those rubber/plastic containers.

hope nothing is too ruined >_<

3. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Just yell "INCOMING!!!!" in the middle of the night. That'll teach him.

4. optimus major

optimus major Banned

News Credits:
    get someone to tape it so we can watch the funny when a fight breaks down :lol 

so sorry to here that...that SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Moonscream

News Credits:
    Heh...no, I wouldn't do that to an old warrior, no matter how pissed I am.

Might ask for him to pay for a new litterbox, tho, since my cat is now afraid of his current one. As ratty looking as he was when I got home, I think he might have been caught in the flood. He's also done 'inappropriate' pooping in a corner of my bedroom since, and struggles to get away when I try and put him in his litterbox.

My carpet is still soaked, so my apartment smells like wet dog. I estimate that several hundred gallons must have cascaded down through my walls...

--Moony

6. Moonscream

News Credits:
    Well, my carpet is 99.9% dry, and my cat is still afraid to poop in his box. At least he pees in it...

My bathroom ceiling and possibly part of my closet ceiling will have to be replaced, and the manager is getting someone to steam clean my entire bedroom and the hall.

And lucky me...I talked to the manager about the guy's behavior and it seems he is starting to fixate on me. Oh yay. He'd done the same to my manager's partner, apparently not understanding that not only is she gay, but she's in a committed relationship. He sent her love notes and things. So I will have to be extremely firm with this guy from now on, to downright nasty, since he doesn't understand boundaries or consequences. And his only relatives live in Canada, which won't let them bring him up there.

And I have to let the manager know what he's doing, lest it turn into me having to beat the crap out of him for inappropriate behavior. I'm sure someone will say that 'it doesn't pay to be nice', but hey, I try anyway. Nasty is a good backup plan. ;) 

--Moony

7. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Thats what I did a few years ago.

Their great to protect stuff from water.I hope the cat gets over his fear soon Moony:thumb 

8. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

That sucks, I hope the Managers check out the rest of the water damage or you and the whole building are gonna have some real problems. Dry rot, mold, walls and ceilings caving in.

9. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Yup; that's a recipe for building damage right there. Glad your stuff seems to be (mostly) OK Moony, and I hope your cat's back to normal soon!

10. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

yikes, one of my fears is damaged tf's. my dad recently broke my 20th prime, that dastard.