I almost got fired today because I'm sleeping on the job :(

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DaggersRage, Aug 15, 2008.

1. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Luckly my supervisors like me but they have to slap a warning on me.

I dont know whats going on either. A few days ago I've been staying up real late, but now I'm getting at around 7 to 9 hours of sleep but I still find myself falling asleep (I wasnt caught today, lucky me).

I find it that I'm falling asleep some time after lunch, is it possible what I'm eating is making me do this? Most of the time I'm eating sandwishes from home, or when I forget, I'll go fast food.

Coffee I dont think helps me out at all.

Over the weekend I'm going to stop staying up so late, hopefully to counter this problem.

2. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    i used to fall asleep first period after lunch in high school because my body was using energy digesting. i know this because that class happened to be biology and our teacher was explaining to us why we kept falling asleep in her class.

try not to eat too much at lunch, and make sure you get lots of fruit and electrolytes. have a bottle of water going all day; it will keep you refreshed and make you have to take pee breaks often enough that you won't sleep.

3. Elita_One

Elita_One Метал для життя

I actually fell asleep last week. My co-ordinator laughed and poked me.

...with his finger on my shoulder you sick bastards.

4. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I have days which there's like a dead zone, between 2 to 4 pm (sometimes lasting til 5pm) where I just feel so incredibly drowsy that nothing can get me out of the funk. I tried eating, chewing gum, pitching myself. Nothing worked (I don't drink coffee btw). It doesn't happen every day and it's not dependent on how much I slept the day before, but sleeping very little have obvious effect on my work performance like forgetting stuff. Not sure what I can do about it tho.

5. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Do you always need to point out the sexual innuendo?

Daggers, here's my advice:

1. Get on a consistent sleep routine. Varying it every few nights will not let your body do as well.
    2. Be smart about your diet. Don't eat large meals an hour or two before you go to bed.
    3. Don't rely on caffeine to keep you awake. Use snacks like peanuts that will give you a more natural boost of energy.
    4. Stop falling asleep at work.
    5. ?
    6. PROFIT

6. Elita_One

Elita_One Метал для життя

Obviously. :rolleyes: 

7. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i find that if i sleep more than 5 hours i feel tired and at times feel like falling asleep. Or if i east lunch/dinner (whatever its called for graveyard shift people) i get really tired.

So i try to make sure i get what my body is used to (3-4 hours) and try not to eat at work, maybe a bag of chips or a banana/apple is enough to keep the cravings til i get home.

So your best bet is to make a routine, that way your body gets used to it and will eventually not make you sleepy.

You could also do something while at work to get you pumped up so you get that natural pump/energy.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  8. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I get this same "afternoon lull" around 3:00 I get unbelievably tired, and always have.

I've found drinking water helps.

9. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    haha

10. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

Your story was good until..

11. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

As someone who's had sleep problems all my life, I suggest you see a doctor and set up a sleep study. If you're getting plenty of sleep but still feel exhausted when you wake up, you might have sleep apnia.

12. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Now when you say eat fruits, does orange juice count?

13. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Reducing your sugar intake is another possibility. If you have something with a lot of sugar in it (eg - soda, fruit juice), your blood sugar will shoot up and then you'll have a 'crash' and get tired when that spike wears off. I used to have the same problem with almost falling asleep in the afternoons until I cut down my sugar intake and had small snacks with more protein and less sugar (eg - peanuts) to avoid those spikes and crashes. Now, I rarely get tired during the day...and that's with usually only getting ~6.5 hours of sleep per night. I'd also suggest having some kind of protein at breakfast, if you aren't already.

Now, I've never had coffee, though, so adjusting sugar levels and eating more protein worked really well for me; caffeine might be more of a factor, in your case.

14. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Are you having any specific symptoms, like sore throat, fever, or muscle weakness? If so you could have mono. Being fatigued all the time is a major symptom.

:lolol 

15. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

what do you do for a living?

16. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Only if it doesn't have any sugar in it, including high fructose corn syrup, etc. A juice that's all fruit juice. If you can find POM Wonderful pomegranite juice, that works really well at least for me, and its really good for you. Unsalted or lightly salted peanuts is a good idea, too.

--Moony

17. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

when I have to pull allnigthers I have discovered I only needed a glass of cold coffee, all else I depended on chips, peanuts, and water. and usally didnt eat anything heavy. -I eat a lot after I know the day is over and I can sleeep.-

thats the best advice I got.

18. Mr.Roboto

Mr.Roboto YOU'RE A SHRUB ROCKETEER! Veteran

News Credits:
    I was going to say the same thing. A co-worker of mine has the same problem. He would be ok and looking/typing on his computer and immediately fall asleep for a second which is all it took.

19. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I wish I had time to sit still long enough at work to fall asleep. For me its go-go-go all day.

20. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

I drink lots of coffee.