I almost bought leader prime today

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Nerdling, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Get him, or we're going to have a knife fight!

2. Nerdling

Nerdling Jiminy Jilikers!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    it might be the aesthetic or something but he doesnt have the sharp feel that MP Prime does. Though I might do what that other guy said and buy him, play with him a couple times, and if I dont like him I'll return him.

3. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    No, it's the Hasbro one we're comparing it to.

That's like saying a volkswagen bug is better than a camaro if the camaro's been in an accident and all the windows are broken.

4. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Hasbro one? Hmmm, then I would say the initial release would still take it but definitely not the latest release one with the "voice"! Anyway, it was never mentioned which version of MP Optimus we were discussing about. Me and KA live in Asia so naturally, I would assume that the MP version we were discussing about would be the TakaraTomy's version.

I don't quite get your comment on the Volks comment but my response was to tgg7979 who stated:

i) General opinion on MP Optimus was favourable "months ago"; and

ii) General opinion now is Leader Class Optimus

I just wanted to do 2 things:

i) point out that the leader class vs MP Optimus thread was started only this month i.e. June instead of "months ago"; and

ii) I suggest he start a poll...to strengthened his argument that the "general opinion now" favours leader class Prime because according to the majority of the responses on the "Leader Class vs MP Optimus" thread...showed that majority favoured the MP version.

CM - I already feel like I've been in a knife fight! LOL! J/K! J/K! :D 

5. tgg7979

tgg7979 I want the matrix

Ebay:
    2 months ago, before leader Prime started showing up is when I was referring to. Im sorry I didnt specfically state a timeline that satisfied your all so high standards.

As already figured out by others, leader movie prime is better than the dvd prime release. I would not compare a main line release leader prime to Takaras orginal MP-1(Not TakaraTomy, they werent around yet since were being specific here.) original MP1.

Im not sure what I said that got you all in a bunch here, but go ahead and rant on about me reiterating a comment that others have made before.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Not my words, Nerd's words.

7. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Dude, I apologise. I thought you were referring to Takara's MP Optimus. If it was made known to me that it was the DVD MP Optimus you're referring to, I would have agreed with you. In fact, I agree with you right now that Leader Class Optimus whips the DVD Optimus anything of the day! :D 

I didn't mean to be so anal as to state the timeline etc but I really don't want this board to be sullied by arguments and snide comments...as seen on other boards., that's why i always ask a fellow poster to try and substantial comments etc.

Again, my apologies for upsetting ya.

8. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Definitely get it! Easily the best mainline Prime, and very close to being equals with MP Optimus!

9. bouncing boy77

bouncing boy77 Syntax Error

buy it, i did when i first saw it at walmart weeks back, and its $39.67, definite cop for me.

10. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Tis a good figure...

I had my doubts, but there are some really nice things that the pictures fail to show.

11. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

Your lucky to have even seen it. I had to order mine from Walmart.com. It should be waiting for me at the store in about 4 more days. Damn time is going by soooo slow.:( 

12. The Demolisher

The Demolisher Banned

I don't get why people love it. It's better than Armada or Energon Prime - but what about the issues it seems to have - the lack of movie accuracy, the overall chubbiness, and the kibble legs?

The legs turn me off the most - they're mostly red which doesn't look right. His back is also a bit too chunky.

Taken him down and scanned him loads of times. I think I nearly like the look of Leader Megs, actually, even though I hate that design for Megs. He's bigger too, shame he doesn't have a proper alt mode.

It's just disappointing that even with the backpack, the voyager does a much better job. It looks more in line with the kind of toy I'd want to buy, and matches up with the movie model quite a bit, at least from the front. Most of the movie Primes have been disappointing - even the Robot Replica which has no excuse, looks too weedy.

It'd be nearly best to avoid Leaders altogether, I think. Voyager Prime looks just fine, a bit out of scale with the other voyagers but who cares, you can always get the FABs anyway at least for Ironhide. Brawl is cool but not interesting enough to warrant a Leader - should have been Blackout or maybe Starscream(Since he's actually a "Leader").

13. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Movie Accurate: Close enough for me. I looked over both Leader and Voyager and the Leader is much closer overall than Voyager Prime

Leg Kibble: Yep, it's there but it moves around to allow for poses. Not super dynamic poses, but better than Armada, Energon or Cybertron Primes could do.

"Chubbiness"/ Chunky Back: Pictures make it look worse. It's not nearly as bad in person.

I do agree with you that Blackout should have been leader class however.

14. RandomFerret

News Credits:
    You're right, all the movie primes are bad.

Except for the one that pretty much everybody says is fantastic that you won't buy because 'all the movie primes are bad.'

15. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I let the rear tires hang down by prime's feet instead of pegging them up on this thighs. It gives him a stylish bell-bottoms look and removes the leg chunk. :D 

BUY IT! :p 

16. RandomFerret

News Credits:
    Really? I have them pointing our backwards like Masterpiece Starscream. Same effect.

17. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

FINALLY! I thought I was the only person here that realized just because a toy cost over a hundred new it didn't mean it was perfect.

However, Movie Leader Prime is going to be mine. I think I'm going to buy him on Monday as part of my pre-movie hype routine. I just can't say no to him any longer.

18. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Leader Class Prime isn't exactly movie accurate but what I like about him is his bulkiness...makes him very war-machine like. My beef about the Voyger Prime is the back-pack -reminds me of a "shell-former".

NightFlame - no one's saying the Takara MP Optimus is perfect, all I''m was trying to put my point across is that its the best Optimus toy currently.

19. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Maybe, for your own definition of "best." Most expensive? Definitely. Largest? Arguably. Most enjoyable? For me, not by a long shot. Most overall fun? Nope. Far too many other Primes that are enjoyable for MP Convoy to come in on top. Far too many people associate cost with fun. Sometimes it works out that way. In this case, not so. In fact, thus far the Masterpiece line has been far less enjoyable than other $100 toy lines I've purchased. Sadly, Transformers just seems to hit the sweet spot at about thirty to fifty dollars. $100 on up seems to be more the realm of Chogokin and Yamato toys.

20. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    I know a few people are complaining about Leader Prime not being 100% movie accurate. Well...DUH!!!

There has to be compromises in terms of detail and transformation when modeling the toys after existing artwork. The only way I can see that a more accurate Leader Prime could have possibly been created is if the CG movie characters were modeled after the toys instead of the other way around. People need to be a little more reasonable in terms of their expectations.