I absolutely effin' hate knock offs.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Grandum, May 24, 2012.

1. skiss

skiss Crash and Burn

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Do all of those prices include shipping? The wording has me confused.

2. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    If you hate KOs why do you even own any?? I see several of them on that list.....

3. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

Shit, I would say most of us are not. Or that even only a handful are..

4. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

I think the OP has a right to be Pissed off at the seller, but to KO manufacturers as a whole, his hatred is unfounded. I, personally, avoid bootleg sellers like the plague as most of their product is potentially hazardous crap. On the other hand, Combiner figures like G1 Devastator often cost $150+ for the Genuine Article. I, For one, would rather find the cheapest alternative to get my Devvy fix on.

5. jerminator

jerminator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    So....lemme get this straight...you speculate selling toys that you genuinely do not even have in hand yet.... That reeks of douchebaggery. So a shill got shilled? No harm, no foul, imho.

6. mjcrow

mjcrow Well-Known Member

This.

7. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Not that this has anything to do with the topic of KO toys:
    If you purchase a toy online and then go and read the reviews and are thinking about reselling it before it arrives, you should probably re-examine your collecting methodology. It might save some headaches in addition to saving money.

8. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Just wanted to add that the genuine Takara Henkei Mirage I got was a POS when I opened him from the box. The middle waist joint was loose as all hell and he kept falling apart in half, on top of loose-as-hell joints. I checked both the box and spoiler foot and it does indeed say Takara-Tomy/Hasbro, so it's the real deal. But just because it's genuine doesn't mean it's any good quality-wise.

I must have gotten a bad figure with serious mold degradation or something, but there you have it. The only CHMS figures I have are Skywarp/Thundercracker, and they're actually fairly decent for what I paid for them. I can't say what a KO Mirage figure's quality is like since I never had one (Hasbro's version of the character came with zero QC issues so he's my default Mirage). YMMV.

9. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    This is a case of don't hate the game, hate the player. I own two pieces of CHMS (neither suckered me as original) and one sucks balls and the other is awesome.

I paid $1 for the shitty one and $50 for the good one, so I'm not complaining. I knew and researched what I was getting into.

Did CHMS make the dino tape KOs? I own them too. Again, I knew what I was getting into and I'm not complaining.

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  10. silenth

silenth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As much as I agree with you that the douche factor is high, the OP was ripped off; if what he is saying is true.

Otherwise, douchebag says what?

11. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    He has every right to be angry at KO manufacturers. Why should we as collectors have to spend time trying to spot the differences in packaging. You think the KO companies have no reason for replicating, of course they do so they can sell it as the real deal and make as much money as possible. I wouldn't have anything against KO companies if the packaging was clearly different but when they try to replicate it to be identical I have an issue. I have never owned a KO and I never will, only 3rd parties like TFC, Fansproject etc. To all you people who support KO companies that's yr choice but if you sell an item that you purchased that replicates an original you better make sure you mention it's a KO otherwise you ain't much better than the company itself. Whole point of this thread is hating KO's and I hate them too.

12. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Because that's how it is. If you want to drop good money on something you better know what you are buying.

That goes for all walks of life. Just because you're a collector doesn't mean you get to buy blindly. Check your shit -especially when it's a known KO item. As a collector you owe it to yourself to be educated.

If the seller is a flat-out liar then that's a whole other issue. Blame them, not the KO. The seller knows damn well it's a fake. If they market it as real then they should be held accountable.

13. opt1musaber

News Credits:
    I don't buy blindly. I will blame seller as well as the company how's that. If the KO company didn't make it a replica from the start there wouldn't be this problem, catch my drift?

14. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    No, I don't catch your drift. If you buy from reputable sellers you know what you are getting. If you buy from liars then you should hold them accountable.

Collecting is not immune from BS artists. Nothing in life is. How's that?

15. opt1musaber

News Credits:
    You think I was born yesterday. It's obvious you don't get what I said. Read it again or not but don't talk like an idiot. how's that?

16. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Whatever. I know what I'm buying and that's all that really matters. If I ever get suckered (hasn't happened yet after years of collecting) I will blame the the person that sold it to me. Do what you like and feel free to spend your anger on something you have all the control over, I'm good.

17. opt1musaber

News Credits:
    I would do the exact same as you, but don't you also think that the KO item that fooled you is to blame for the whole mixup. If that KO item was CLEARLY a KO there wouldn't be so many deals gone wrong. That is my only thing I hate about KO's when they are near identical replicas.

18. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

Damn.

Opt1musaber's right. The OP has the right to be mad at manufacturers just as much as the seller. I'd get mad at myself as well if I lost that much money.

19. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I never got suckered. I know what I buy. I know what fakes exist. I know pricing on real ones vs. fake ones. I know how to spot fakes. If I doubt authenticity I ask questions.

In other words, I'm a collector. This is the kind of stuff collectors are supposed to know, it's what MAKES you a collector.

20. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly, this is one of those debates that'll probably never end because at the very least, you have 3 sides to blame, even in part. Those would be the Seller for possibly not being clear enough, the buyer for possibly not doing their homework, as well as the maker of the said KO for the fact that it exists in the first place. Even if you exclude other extended factors, you have those 3, and where at least one party (if not more than one) is bound to get screwed when everyone's not ultimately on the same page.

Past that, and I guess to stress the importance of clear/honest presentation & asking questions/doing homework, I really don't know what to say except that getting angry & shooting arrows at people rarely accomplishes anything other than to create more holes in an already wide open loaf of bread.

/2cents