Hypothetical Situation: Starscream's lieutenants?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by DarthCrusher, Mar 22, 2010.

1. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As we all know, in most versions of the G1 canon, Megatron has had three Decepticons who've served as his sub-commanders. There's Starscream (the treacherous one), Soundwave (the loyal one), and Shockwave (the either-one-depending-on-the-continuity one). Each of them filled a specific subordinate role (for example, based on Dreamwave, Starscream was Air Commander, Shockwave was in charge of military operations, and Soundwave was the communications officer).

I was thinking about this the other day, and a thought came to me: Starscream's always trying to take over, right? So, hypothetically, if he managed to permanently off Megatron and take command, who would he choose as his subordinates? Would Soundwave and Shockwave's loyalties to Megatron/themselves prevent them from serving under Starscream? Which other Decepticons have what it takes to be considered for such positions? Would Starscream's pride stop him from even choosing subordinates?

The possibilities are, of course, endless. Any thoughts?

2. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    I can imagine Starscream keeping his seeker forces as his top dogs, with Thundercracker and Skywarp as his right and left hand men. Because they are commonly shown as a pretty tight unit. Whether they would be any good as lieutenants, would be a different matter.

In the cartoon continuity, Soundwave had loyalty to whoever was in charge at the time, even briefly Starscream. In the comics he was definitely more self-serving and manipulated others with his apparent loyalty.

I don't know, all the times I can think of when Starscream has assumed command in G1, it never went very well for very long. I guess that's why I liked his treachery, he seemed unable to understand that he would be a crap leader, heh.

3. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Don't forget Astrotrain. Remember, Starscream plotted with him in "Triple Takeover" and let him coronate him in the '86 movie.

Frankly, Astrotrain is a self-serving, backstabbing jerk, so at least Starscream would absolutely know where he stands. That and Astrotrain never had the bearings to make a big move on his own.

- Coeloptera

4. tf7

tf7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah, like an earlier post, I think the two main seekers would be chosen to be Starscream's second and third in commands.
    To me, Soundwave would always be loyal to Megatron, even if the Transformers:The Movie proved other wise. And Starscream would be wise enough than to let Soundwave wander off for a cure to revive Megatron.
    Shockwave on the other hand, well, it would depend on how his character is. He isn't as defined of a character as Starscream, Prime, Megatron or Soundwave, and his personalities aren't at an all time canon. So yeah.

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I figure he'd "rotate" through who were his lieutenants, making sure none of them got too powerful or too confident in their position, so that he wouldn't have to worry about potential usurpers.

6. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

I thought Skywarp and/or Thundercracker hated being Starscream's lackey. Wasn't Thundercracker trying to get him in trouble with Megs in "Fire on the Mountain"? I can't imagine Starscream trying to keep any lieutenants, considering how treacherous he was, he might be too afraid of his number one bot doing the same thing to him. In the end, I think if Starscream had his own army, paranoia would be his own downfall.

7. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

I cant see any of the two S-waves serving under Starscream.
    Motormaster can be one of his lieutenants maybe? He can be used to keep the groundtroops in line or somethin'.

8. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I'm thinking the Seekers and Combaticons would probably where he'd draw from for lieutenants.

9. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I say The Combacticon leader Onslaught will be Starscream's Dragon with Blitzwing and Astrotrain given Screamer's history with the three

10. DarthMagnificus

DarthMagnificus Banned

soundwave was loyal enough to carry megatron's carcass off the battleground...he was just too smart to risk his own ass when astrotrain declared time to lighten the load...it did not take too much to put 2 and 2 together that if someone objected against the busted up cons going out the airlock...that transformer would be going with them free of charge....

11. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Dirge. He's smart and too cowardly to try anything.

Acid Storm? We have no personality for him yet so whose to say he wouldn't be a good one.

In War Within, Motormaster acted as Starscream's enforcer.

I'm still tempted to say Skywarp and Thundercracker.

Does Starscream have his Pretender shell in this hypothetical situation? That would literally help him watch his back.

12. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Skywarp and Thundercracker would be the obvious choices, although I imagine Screamer might end up thinking twice about promoting Skywarp. As for Soundwave and Shockles, I get the impression that Screamer would begrudgingly tolerate the former for his value to the cause, but be very fearful of the latter and try to eliminate him as soon as possible - a feat easier said than done.

13. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

Thundercracker and Skywarp might have a threat to him since in The Movie (since he kicked them out of Astrotrain but kept the even dumber Thrust, impulsive Ramjet and depressing Dirge around). However, in other continuities, maybe if Starscream ever let his guard down Thundercracker would take command from him (later fiction seems to support the fact that Thundercracker is smarter than Skywarp and has more common sense than Starscream)

14. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

Since after AHM Starscream is as far as I know commanding Decepticon forces in Space while Thundercracker commands the Earthbound troopers who where absent during the final battle and are trying to escape the planet before the humans get them, while Skywarp is a independent trooper

15. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

I think that Starscream's ego is so big that he would think that he didn't need anyone helping him and try to lead all aspects of the Decepticons by himself. He'd be suspicious of anyone trying to gain too much power since he knows if he were in their position he'd try to backstab the leader too.

16. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I would like to note during the coronation ceremony, it was Astrotrain, Ramjet, and I think Thrust standing up there with him.

17. Sorrow Six Star

Sorrow Six Star Close Countach

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yeah but they all let him get shot.

I'll only add that we know for sure that Starscream "couldn't lead a drunken fembot to his apartment, let alone lead the decepticons"

haha

18. ChrisW

ChrisW Well-Known Member

It's an interesting question. Starscream doesn't seem to care for any of his comrades at all, so there are no obvious choices for his lieutenants. I assume he'd keep Soundwave and Shockwave in their current positions, though he'd have to name a new Air Commander. He seemed willing to work with the Triple Changers explicitly in "Triple Takeover" and implicitly in the movie, so he'd probably choose Astrotrain or Blitzwing as Air Commander.

19. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I don't see him naming a new air commander thatd still be his secondary title. But I do see him naming a ground commander and that could very well be Motormaster. Since he probably doesn't trust Shockwave in any situation I see Onslaught filling out his role. And Soundwave would have to be tolerated not sure who could fill his position.

20. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Starscream would probably just sit around lording it over the others rather then making any serious attempt at organisation and attack, which woulden't last very long if the likes of Shockwave or Scorponok are around.