Hypothetical question, if the economy goes south, will you get rid of your TF's?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by VictoryLeo19, Oct 10, 2008.

1. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

I know its kind of shallow to think about toys if i crisis like that occurs, but will you sell off your collection minus a few favorites? I know i would. Id probably keep a couple G1 bots that have sentimental value, plus my classics and throw em in a box and sell (or at least try to) the rest. Just a hypothetical question though!

2. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    sadly, I'm already having to do that to a point. I'm not selling off everything just yet, but I'm forced to prioritize my collecting. deciding what I really want, and getting rid of the rest, even if I liked the figures. One example would be my energon prime/ wing saber / omega supreme combination. I loved that figure, but it wasn't a high priority when it came to sentimentality, and I needed the money.

3. Max-prime

Max-prime Supreme-Commander

News Credits:
    Maybe not get rid of but less buying for sure.

4. rodster6

rodster6 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Nooooooooooooo

If I had a family to support I would but as it is I unfortunatly have no one to worry about but myself lol.

5. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    haha "if".

And no, I'd go turn tricks first. That's how crack addicts do it, and since this is plastic crack...

6. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I might become more choosy on what ones I get, but not sell them off (Besides who would be buying them?)

7. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

Nah. It's money spent and I'm lucky enough to have a pretty secure job so I don't think it will be necessary. Hell, I can't even sell the ones I don't want now so I'm not even sure that anyone would buy them anyway!

8. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Well, it depends on how screwed the economy is. And since it looks like another Great Depression coming on, then yeah, I'd probably sell some of my TFs.

9. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok dun be suprised if push comes to shove, i'll let go most of my TFs but will retain/or keep all of my Takara Brave series robots.

They're just so rare & hard to find nowadays.

10. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

No I would not. Besides, if they economy tanks, who would be buying said For Sale Transforemrs?!?!

11. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I'd probably just keep all my G1 and rare stuff. However, I find it hard enough to decide which TF to put into storage when I run out of shelf space, so choosing which to get rid of for good would be a horrible task. I think if it came to it and I needed a lot of cash I'd just try and sell the whole collection in one go and be out of it for good.

12. blunghole

blunghole The Tapeworm of Unicron!

News Credits:
    I'd probably sell off everything else first; my video games, my kaiju collection, movies, jewelry, car, house. So if you see a fat guy on a motorcycle in leather cruising through the wasteland with a huge Transformers collection in a sidecar, yeah, that's probably me.

People need TFs in the wasteland.

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    The Transformers Road Warrior. :p 
    Yeah, that would probably be how I'd do it too, with my TFs as a last resort. I have a stupidly huge DVD collection, and a pretty decent comics collection too, so I'd flog those off first probably.

14. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    ^ This. Trying to dump non-essentials for cash in a poor market would be almost pointless. Even if you did sell them, you'd get offered next to nothing for them by some dealer who's just going to ride out the economic turmoil and then turn around and sell your stuff at a huge profit.

I've already been selling to help pay off some various debts, but most of them have been duplicates.

15. BlitzFire

BlitzFire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    save your money now..................and by the transformers that ppl will be selling for next to nothing when the economy tanks :D 

woooo

16. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There's almost no point to selling, since no one will have the money to buy them to begin with.

17. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If it came down to it I would, but there'd be no market for them so it would be pointless.

18. Sinestro

Sinestro Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Since i'm paid commisson only, the way i've tackled the problem was to look through my collection, decide what i don't need with how much i could get for them. So i traded a couple of e-hobby's and some galaxy force with BBTS and now have plenty of store credit to cover me for the next 18 months. This means no money is coming out of my pocket.

19. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It would have to get pretty bad for me personally to sell off chunks of my collection.

I'd think when the economy is poor enough for someone to be forced to sell off their TFs, It might also be bad enough for demand/prices to be lower as well, as others concentrate more on survival than beefing up their collections.

20. RKillian

RKillian https://rktoys.myshopify.com

Second MegatronWP38's and Viceroy's remarks. Much like the housing market (hopefully), the best time to dump them would've been before trouble started. Hindsight's 20/20 though and it's entirely possible that we'll be saying right now _was_ an OK time to sell them.

This looks like a losing plan all around to me.

1. You didn't get any actual money for your figures and so cannot pay off debt or handle emergencies.
    2. You got store credit that is as worthless as Dreamwave IOUs if BBTS goes under due to economic forces.
    3. You've traded relatively valuable eHobby exclusives for $X worth of off-the-shelf product that probably won't be worth its retail price for years if ever.