Hypothetical legal vs. ethical question.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by firehawc_69, May 27, 2010.

1. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I was just watching Cops, and a woman called the police because her boyfriend or husband was hitting her. The police arrested him for the assault, but they also ran her info and arrested her for outstanding warrants in another county.

Do you think she should have been able to receive protection from the law without reprisal for her other actions or not?

On one hand, she needs to be held accountable for her actions, but on the other hand, if she was afraid of being arrested she may not have called and the guy would have gotten away with beating her for a long time.

I am of both minds about this, but I think that she should be afforded the protection and since she called, they should at least give her a chance to go in within 24 hrs to take care of it on her own.

2. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

In this case, nope.
    She called police for her protection, but at the same time she didn't "pay her debt to society."

3. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

In my mind there is no dilema; you can't expect protection from the law while two hand flipping the bird at it with a shit eating grin. Get protection, pay debt to society.

4. Travicon

Travicon Nerdbot

Pointless question is pointless.

Of course she should have been arrested. If she has a warrent out for her arrest chances are she's had the opportunity to bring herself in.

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    He wasn't able to beat her while she was in jail. Win win.

6. kraven

kraven Decepticon

lol good point!

And yeah im with everyone else on this one. Why let her go just because she was the victim THIS time?

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Police protection might have been a bit much to ask for, but I could see a situation where shelters take in women no questions asked.

8. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^why is protection too much to ask for? if a woman is in a violent environment, currently getting her skull bashed in, a shelter won't help her- they can't help her. the woman needs immediate protection; the cop stops the beatdown, then the cop can take her safely to a shelter. that's how it works here.

So the guy that tries to break into a restaurant and gets stuck in the vent above the stove should be let go because it was a "rescue" call?

there is no legal or ethical dilemma here.
    and heck, any chance to take someone with a warrant in, i am for it.
    it could save a life, lives and spare someone a whole lotta grieving.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  9. Kenucme

Kenucme Yes, I'd get that one too TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Give her protection for what? So she can continue to be a fugitive by avoiding the warrant? That only leaves her open to continue breaking the law while her boyfriend/husband is stuck like chuck.

I don't see why she should get a free pass. It's almost a license endorsing her to commit more crime. The officer would certainly get hemmed up for it if he did let her go and she commited another offense.

Going down the hypothetical road some more, what if she commited a violent crime after being given the free pass? You would likely have people find out that the police had opportunity to take her in before the offense occurred. Victims and persons close to the preventable crime would be in such outrage because the city/community/society did not do its job to protect them.

I agree with previous posters... she would still need to pay her debt to society.

10. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    If it helps you sleep at night, look at it this way. If she had been in jail, where she belonged due to her warrant, she wouldn't have been there for the guy to beat her. Simple, really.

11. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Look, I'm sorry, she should have the right to the same amount of protection by the police that any citizen has, but she also has the responsibility to obey the laws the police enforce, and failing that, she is liable for the prosecution and/or punishment the law calls for. That's the social contract, and its designed to protect everyone, including her AND the people her crimes may have hurt. I'm not saying she doesn't deserve protection, or that its her fault she was put in a situation where she was at risk of violence, and I fully advocate that there should be shelters and programs that take in people and protect them regardless of their legal status (outstanding warrants, illegal immigration status, etc.), but I think that asking the police to help her, but not then arrest her once she was in their hands is asking a bit much. Its protective CUSTODY, after all.

12. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    People with outstanding warrants know they have them. If she called the cops anyway, shit had gotten real.

13. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

At the risk of adding absolutely nothing to the discussion, ditto. :) 

14. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The cop was totally in the right to pick her up.

15. Kraken2009

Kraken2009 Megatron's Right Hand

Hheh, a bit of a downer if she calls the police and they nab her too. But the standard "don't do the crime if you can't do the time" saying works here. Mayhaps she forgot about those warrants.