Hypothetical Cross-over - G.I. Joe and the Bayfilms?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Chopperface, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Okay, I'm pretty certain somebody has brought this topic up before on the boards, but it's just been spinning in my head recently after taking a liking to GI Joe: Renegades.

What if we did have a cross-over between Michael Bay's films, and the new GI Joe films? Let's ignore the fact Dark of the Moon is the last Bayfilm for now. Think, we have a lot in common with our sister franchise.

*Both films (well, Revenge of the Fallen, not the first one)recieved less then positive reception from the critics, particularly Roger Ebert
    *We both have a strong military prescence
    *We both have lots and lots of guns and sci-fi elements.
    *We have the same guy on board both films, di Bonaventura
    *Both are summer blockbusters that did well at the box office
    *Both from Paramount
    *Both from Hasbro (duh)

How cool would it be, if the Joes teamed up with NEST, and Cobra teamed up with the Decepticons... just like every other Transformers/GI Joe crossover in history? Imagine, Sideswipe skating into some nanomite drones or something, and Snake Eyes doing some badass flips off the tip of his swords.

We've had plenty of crossovers with GI Joe and Transformers, and Joe has always been our sister franchise - why not a live action one? More super kaboom mayhem with nonsenical plots galore! More toys for Hasbro, more money from people willing to see Transformers and GI Joe, the works!

Just some thoughts. Let the way too hypothetical, never-gonna-happen discussion begin!

2. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh dear GOD no. Just...no.

3. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    They had their chance starting on TF1.
    Could have been wicked cool... but it's too late now.

4. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

G.I Joe movie sucked, and while you may dislike the TF movies, they at least weren't dull like G.I Joe the rise of Cobra.

And at least Transformers had the cool fight scenes.

5. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I liked RoC, I know I'm in the minority for saying that, but I thought it was a fun little fucker. I'd be down to see a TF/Joe cross over in the future...as long as they replace Tatum, toughen Scarlett up, and bring in Roadblock and maybe Gung-Ho. Also, less wanking Snake Eyes off, I hate that ninja.

6. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Why on Earth would this be any motivation FOR a crossover? If you have two series that are both somewhat panned by the critics, simply putting them together isn't going to somehow make them better by any means.

You also mention the military presence in both films. That's another reason why a crossover would be a bad idea: that's too many dudes with guns. Transformers already has its government-sponsored crack-team commandos: N.E.S.T., which even though all together hasn't had much screentime with spoken lines (or a rediculously hardcore ninja), still goes out and kicks alien robot ass alongside the Autobots.

Lastly, there's the issue about screen time. The Transformers movies certainly have issues with this provided the character being focused upon isn't Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Sam, or whatever hot chick he's with that time. Trying to cram in a bunch of hardcore soldiers alongside giant alien robots who already have hardcore soldiers working with them is just going to create a clusterf**k of too many characters having too little screentime.

7. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    As far as I'm concerned, the only crossover to the Bay films is the Friday the 13th reboot.

8. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

a gi joe transformers crossover as a tv series or a special, might work, as a movie? not at all.

but i doubt it will ever happen, as hasbro seems to be reluctant to combine the two franchies, i mean CROSSOVERS would of been a perfect spot to create gi transformers, but they still have no plans for that.

we will see that stuff in the comics, not in the movies.

9. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    I didn't mean to say that's a REASON to put them together, but rather a similarity. When did I say the poor critical reception was a REASON for doing it? I was listing the similarities we have to GI Joe.

Yes, I think Epps, Lennox and Fig joining Duke or somebody in shooting the Decepticons will be cool.

True, too true. I guess only Sam, Lennox, Epps, whatever girl, Prime, Bumblebee, Ironhide, Megatron and Starscream would appear for certain.

Nah, I like the films! :)  Didn't mean to say I didn't.

10. Snow

Snow Member

Eh, it's something I could see Hasbro forcing at some point in the future. A spin-off movie though, not necessarily a brand new movie franchise in itself. I believe there's a second GI Joe movie planned so with the two movie franchises fresh in the mind of kids and movie-goers, it would be the perfect time to take advantage. Not a hard sell where products are concerned; Bumblebee sporting a GI Joe character counterpart, etc. for example.

Does that make it a grand old idea as someone who has seen the GI Joe movie as as well as being a fan of the TF movieverse? Not really. I'm not big on crossovers. While the ideas are simple and may work in comics, a movie or two isn't entirely justifiable.

Look at Aliens vs Predator; works in every format other than movies and even that is a shocker. Such a simple premise and they can't make it work in the slightest. Can blame the teams responsible for the movies, naturally, given that it's not hard to come up with a likable premise involving the two creatures (marines vs. Predators vs. Aliens on some colony planet, anyone?).

Though this doesn't necessarily apply to this topic as GI Joe and Transformers are far more character-driven and ensemble-based. It's one of the reasons I am fearing for The Avengers next year. All those important characters and egos in one 2 hour-long movie? Will be difficult to make it work in a very decent manner.

11. deymasc

deymasc Well-Known Member

Simply put...with the state of movies being so bad today it would be something different. It could do surprisingly well at the box office, considering it would be something different. Lord knows there's no originality in Hollywood anymore.

It's different. Yeah, it would be crowded...but it would be something different. LOL

12. deymasc

You're not in the minority. I enjoyed it for what it was...a summer action flick. I wish there were more characters...but hey, I had to remind myself that it's Hollywood. Leave it to them to f things up.

13. deymasc

If they had GOOD writers and a capable director...it could be pulled off.
    Sadly, everything in Hollywood is about getting it out there fast. It's like quality doesn't matter. Don't put the "hot writer-of-the-moment" on a project and expect them to bang out a winner....especially if they don't know the characters/material. That's the worst thing you can do.
    Put someone that KNOWS the history and ins/outs of the characters/material.
    Like a writer from the show or perhaps a comic book writer. There's plenty of good material there to work from....yet they mish mash stuff and the fans get substandard crap. LOL

14. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    You're making things way too difficult and, quite frankly, not really thinking it thru:
    Just re-mame Epps, Lennox, etc. to names of Joes and call it done.

Even more so with NEST.
    Just slap a JI Joe logo somewhere and, with the NEST soldiers re-named to Joes, you have your JI Joe inclusion.

15. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

By all that is geeky no. Maybe one of those Darth Vader NOOOOOOOO thrown in as well.

The Decepticons are already weak as can be against the current crop of military weapons. The Joes were a near future film which meant even more advanced weapons than we have now. Might as well just have the Autobots stay at home because if regular soldiers with off the shelf weapons can beat them then a highly trained special mission force would mop the floor with the Decepticons.

You also have some pretty big philosophical differences in the films. GI Joe had Cobra as something important to the story and bad guys were characters unless you were in those ungodly unappealing Viper costumes. Heck the elite Vipers even got in a few lines. Jump over to Transformers and the bad guys aren't characters so much as just something for the good guys to kill. So does the Joe/Transformers movie go with bad guys are characters so you can't just kill them all to end the movie or the kill them all because they aren't characters?

If you want crossover I say relaunch both franchises and have Josh Duhamel play the part of Duke since he's way better than boring Channing Tatum.

16. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

I'd rather see a "Transformers Prime" and "G.I. Joe Renegades" crossover. Actually, I want to see a "Transformers Prime", "G.I. Joe Renegades", and "X-Files" crossover! I know how to do it. Have Cobra Industries nefariously but secretly be involved in the events that lead to the U.S. government's discovery of the Transformers three years ago. General Clayton Abernathy, who was involved in the Transformers discovery, and employs agent Fowler, suspected Cobra Industries' nefarious involvement leading to his suspicion and distrust of the organization. Maybe Cobra Industries uncovered and secretly hid away a crashed Transformer. Perhaps the corporation even has The Fallen for all we know. There was an X-Files episode called "Jump The Shark" that starred the daughter of an "international arms dealer" that she called the scum of the Earth and was trying to expose and stop. Well have that arms dealer be Destro, head of Mars Industries who is eventually forced to work for Cobra Industries in "G.I. Joe Renegades". It was revealed in "Jump The Shark" that Man In Black character Morris Fletcher left the shadowy government organization and was working for this international arms dealer selling government secrets of alien technology to him. And bring back The Loan Gunmen. Though it is stated that they were exposed to some toxin, they only showed their funeral, never their dead bodies. Maybe they were injected with an antidote and didn't die. Maybe they are still alive hiding out somewhere having needed to fake their deaths because if Destro, and now Cobra Industries, found out they were alive, they would hunt them down. Maybe they also fed some information to Scarlet in G.I. Joe renegades giving her what she needed to form an group of G.I.s to investigate Cobra further. Maybe Scarlet knows the Lone Gunmen. Perhaps Raf becomes another member of the Lone Gunmen because of his great hacking skills. And bring back Cancer Man. Maybe they killed a clone of him in the last X-Files episode that he sent in his place. Perhaps all the Syndicate members had clones of themselves made to send into the dangerous missions. After all, they made lots of clones of Mulder's sister, Samantha. Why not make clones of themselves as well. Oh well, it would be a great fanfic if nothing else.

17. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't we have enough human problems with the movies already?

18. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    It really is a shame. I think Michael Bay would've been more suited to direct the G.I. Joe movie than Transformers, considering his military connections. He just seems much more concerned as to how the military is portrayed than the bots themselves.

19. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    If this happened it would be the best worst movie ever made.

20. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Well-Known Member

Crossovers almost never work. Esp.. in fanfiction, where it seems some of the most radically different entities ( Star Wars and Sailor Moon) get crossovers simply because the author likes both..