Heavy/Scratch: hybrid style transformable Human Alliance Bumblebee

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Gatchaman, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Gatchaman

Gatchaman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I call this hybrid style because that sounds much cooler than partsforming, lol!!! But the reality is I don't have the engineering skills to pull off both movie accuracy and pure transformation, so partsforming was the only way for me to go. So by relegating key components to either robot or vehicle mode and guardian or protector (wasn't that the 2 modes cyber ops ultra b?) I'm able to swap a few parts off of the basic structure and then transform him. Kind of like Sculptbots awesome take on Menasor but on a smaller much less well executed scale... Props also to Savio Prime for his exquisitely engineered bb deluxe b and to grinkrystals non transforming 'mac' HA B. I took heavy inspiration from both those customs. Also, kudos to Harrismonkey for seeing potential in dotm leader bee's parts for use on HA B, great minds think alike! And props to all the other radicons that have shown HA B some love like Heathrun and many others! Ok enough jibber jabber.

Some of you may remember when I first posted a sneak peek of this bee back in June with Leader Ironhide mod:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, I had some issues with some elements of the design and had to go back to the drawing board. Build is complete now and I just need to paint, so these pics are in b&w and will add color and alt mode photos once it dries up around here and I can do the little bit of painting I need to for details etc...

Here's the list of mods to robot mode:

right hand that is made from a ha b left hand but is mirror image so top top finger is longest and bottom shortest attaches by magnet

new cannon made from BB unleashed statue. Hollowed out and fitted with led, power source and switch, batteries are replaceable and it attaches via magnets so cannon and hand can be swapped out

new guantlets from dotm ldr bb. gauntlets mount on custom brackets that mount into the hole in the forearm that the seats mount too and attaches via magnets. They are switchable with the stock seats for alt mode. The right gauntlet attachs to either the bracket for use with the hand, or directly to the cannon when using that

Custom lat extensions from movie deluxe b to fill him out a little more that attach via magnets and adjusted screws on chest panels to get the degree of rotation I needed.

custom made backpack made from bionicle baron von nebulous (or somthing like that) chest plate, ha bee doors, bionicle ball joints, and rear quarter panel window wings cut from, well ha bees rear quarter panel windows.
    the smaller wings attach to the door wings on custom dual jointed (ball and hinge) mounts so all 4 wings are articulated.
    and lower wings mount to the upper wings like in the cgi model from the first movie dvd release extra features
    Mounted b's front wheels to backpack assembly using more bionicle parts, they can rotate up and down and spin freely
    last but not least, includes rear tail light detail, but had to orient it going up from the middle instead of down

did the leg swap (I think maybe Peaugh did it first, or at least popularized it) removed rear bumpers from shins and replaced with dotm ldr b's leg guards which attach via magnets so can be switched back and forth for alt mode etc. also added parts from ha bee for ankle armor and rear thigh armor

shortened bees' feet and swapped out mid foot section from -07 movie premium bee to get rid of his very long point feet.

upgraded the stock missle batteries with ones from generatioins skullgrin that mount on custom ball joints from rotf deluxe scalpel and just pet into the slots under bee's hood.

I think that's it for robot mode. Will post mods to vehicle and color pics of it all once I've had a chance to paint in the details.

Here's B telling the decepticons to buhring it!

[​IMG]

Here's a shot of the backpack:

[​IMG]

Here he is in full on battle mode:

[​IMG]

with both guns, err, make that, gun blazing!

[​IMG]

as always, questions, comments, complaints etc all welcome. If there is interest I have the pics to put up a tutorial if anyone is interested

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  2. PM Longstacks

PM Longstacks Active Member

I rather like the look of BB in the Monochrome. Would you mind if I used your photos as a basis for my own project?

3. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Yes, I am interested. VERY interested!

This is SO AWESOME! Completely worth the wait! I love how he looks and what you did here. Congratulations on an amazing custom!!!

4. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Very cool!

5. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

It's a nice idea but using parts from 3 different sized bee's gives him some very obvious proportion issues in my opinion.

6. Gatchaman

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He does look good in monochrome doesn't he? I would not mind at all, I'd be happy for you to use them, thanks!

Thanks for the kind words HT! I'm glad you like it. I'll get cracking on the tutorial once I get him painted.

Thanks flywheels!

Thanks for looking and sharing your opinion cheetor71, I truly appreciate it. To use a phrase I heard on a recent ep of wtf@tfw2005 -
    now let me tell you why I'm right... ;) 
    But seriously, can you elaborate? I'm open to any suggestions that will improve the figure as long as they don't affect bees structural integrity or ability to transform.

7. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow.

I can't believe how much of it you got to work while still retaining the ability to transform. That's incredible.

I think you win, as mine no longer has the right to be called a transformer.

I can't wait to see it finished! That's really incredible.

8. BLK-OUT 4500X

BLK-OUT 4500X Well-Known Member

The legs look way better , great job man .

9. Gatchaman

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks, I've been working on it & tweaking it for a while and when I saw the noggin of Dotm leader bee, the wheels started spinning!
    I think yours looks great too! an actionmaster is still a transformer! somebody has a signature line about once a Tf, always a Tf, whether it still Tfs or not.

thanks BLK-OUT 4500X!