Minor/Repaint: Hybrid Blitzwing ??

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by lhandlott, Jun 6, 2012.

1. lhandlott

lhandlott Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    ok so I was thinking of making animated blitzwing into a classics or prime series toy but im not sure if it will work. So far I changed the head , the alt mode is still the same as the original toy. so let me know would it pass as a classic or Prime series???? yes or no??? thank you

Attached Files:

2. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Right now it seems more Prime-verse to me. Classics would have more realistic elements in the design, rather than Animated's highly stylised aesthetics.

Perhaps mod the arms and legs to remove some of the odd shapes (make it blockier)? If you were aiming for Classics-verse, i mean.

3. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

The head swap is a good idea but he still looks too Animated.

4. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Beardy Boyo!

Ebay:
    Yeah, look a little more prime-verse than Classic-verse.

Nice choice of head. How exactly did you remove the original head off Blitzwing, it looks to be pretty solidly attached?

5. arpcefxl

arpcefxl JETFIRE

it looks pretty prime-ish. treadshot A1 has a point classics do have a real look to them

6. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think changing the forearms, hands and feet would be a priority. It could work. The mechanics of the figure are solid, and probably the best option for a decent blitzwing.

7. Demonss

Demonss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm going to be honest.. (and keep in mind this is my opinion)
    I don't think there's anything you can do to this guy to turn him into classics..

Prime for sure..
    Classics... I dunno.. Even head swaps and such the lines of the modes are just not classics feeling.

8. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I think everybody has a different threshold for what they consider "acceptable" in classics. I personally consider "classics" a kind of default that is a bit more inclusive than Prime or Animated. You can probably get away with this, with a little work. :) 

I started a project like this years ago, and never went further with it, but I have a few small suggestions.

- Heavy Load, the dumptruck guy's head from the old RID Build Team set (http://www.tfu.info/2001/Autobot/HeavyLoad/facepic.jpg )is pretty much an IDEAL match for Blitzwing ( http://www.tfu.info/1985/Decepticon/Blitzwing/cartoonshot.jpg ). It's practically already in G1 colours, and his cruel grin fits Blitzwing's old Tech Specs personality perfectly. If you cut an opening behind the jet nosecone to make space for the head, and attach the head to the neck plate of his old Animated head (reverse side), you can even leave the old head attached to get that sort of behind-the-head kibble the old Blitzwing had, and it won't leave a gap in his jet mode.

You can sort of see what I mean in this picture. That's not the head I'm talking about above, but you can see that with the right head (especially a smaller one), his proportions do look much different, and closer to a "classics" style.
    [​IMG]

- I'd remove the double cannons because they tend to make the tank mode look even more goofy. I'd suggest instead doing a bit of drilling and attaching a single cannon to the turret instead. More like the original Blitzwing, and will also make him look a bit more like a real tank like the Stuart light tank. If you have some old coloured markers around, you could probably find one that even matches the colour scheme and use the tube from that for the barrel of the cannon.

- Also in the picture above you can see that I lightly shaved down some small tabs near the wing joint, to allow his wings to fold up higher on his shoulders, which also gives him a silhouette closer to G1 Blitzwing, and a more imposing stance.

It might be hard to find new forearms because the original arms are specially designed to fit into the transformation, but I don't think they look too bad (though they can't hold anything as they are). The biggest issue with this mold is his lower legs, which are a bit cartoony. I don't really mind that so much, but they DO show too much in his jet mode. I'm not sure if you could replace them with anything that would hide away better, but still look good in bot/tank modes. If you're cool with the way they look in jet mode, I wouldn't worry about it.

Anyway, hope that gives you some ideas. :thumb 

zmog

9. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

if your goin for primeverse, he needs no nose, and the vehicle modes need to be a little less playskool toyish

10. The_Tracker

The_Tracker ...and his huntsmen!

Ebay:
    Those are great tips Smog! Your figure looks great too btw. I have an Animated Blitzwing hanging out on with my classics Decepticons and have just been waiting for ideas to make him fit in a little better. I rarely ever display in alt mode and since he is a taller bot he stands at the back behind the shorter guys. I think a head change and the wing mod should do the trick well enough for my tastes!

11. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I'd try giving him RTS' Perceptor's hands.

12. Optimus1116

Optimus1116 Autobot

News Credits:
    Looks too animated to me. Maybe you should swap parts like with Spoonman's Classics Trailbreaker from Animated Ratchet.

13. Carpool

Carpool Well-Known Member

Sand down the nose and replace the hands in my opinion. Most of the bots from Prime Ive noticed have 4 fingers instead of 5 so that would help as well. Dont concentrate too much on making him a triple changer either I would think. Try yer best at one mode and a good paint job. Ive seen a lot of good customs involving Blitzwing where hes only a jet mode bot. Hes customized as a jet to resemble neither seeker mold and thats what separates him from the herd. Just my opinion anyhow. Good luck with this. Looks to be a pain to work with.

14. lhandlott

Ebay:
    Thank you so much for the tips , im gonna try that I do have that head your talking about and yes it will look better because is not as big as the one im using. I like the idea of the one cannon instead of the 2 cannons but it kinda conflicts with the original head kibble , I have to find another way. But yes i will be adding the single cannon I already have a perfect one. The wings mod thing on the shoulders you did its amazing , I never thought of that, and looks better. The leg part doesn't bother me that much as long as i see it as a cybertronian jet so that's what Im gonna try to turn it into that way it can get away with the obvious looking parts. as for the arms i do like them , what i dont like is that the hands wont hold anything like you said but im gonna try to come up with a gun that attaches to the hand maybe with a peg or magnet or special attachment. Once again thank you so much for the tips and the picture. I really appreciate it.

15. lhandlott

Ebay:
    yeah i was gonna try to replace the hands with Prime version megatron but I cant get those pins out and Im not even sure if it will affect the transformation. thank you tho for the tips :) 

16. lhandlott

Ebay:
    the original head is still there die to the fact that is part of the jet mode , I havent gotten that far as removing the original head, perhaps I wont remove the head just the silly faces cause i need that part so there wont be any gaps in the jet mode. thank you

17. Destructicon 1

Destructicon 1 Original Gestalt

Giving him a single turret cannon and new hands I think will really help. Keep at it man and keep us posted!

18. Thebricklord

Thebricklord The Brick

Personally I think it looks like a neat classic.

19. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

There's 2 ways to fix that. One, make the cannon telescoping so it shrinks down. The other way is much easier... just turn it slightly diagonally (like I have it in my picture). I think it still looks cool that way on a slight angle. Makes it look like a sword scabbard or a rifle slung over his shoulder. Who says turrets have to point straight up? :D 

Yeah, and it's super easy to do too. The best kind of mod... looks good, and can be achieved in 30 seconds. ;) 

Your totally welcome! Since I never got back to this project myself, I'm happy to see if someone else can get some use out of the ideas!

As for the treads/legs... maybe if the lighter areas were painted all black, they wouldn't stand out so much under the jet mode? I'm not sure though.

I wouldn't even bother removing the faces. For one thing, the part they are on holds the whole head section together. Secondly, you can keep them and as long as you don't face them out on purpose, they will never be visible. I don't think it's really worth the extra hassle trying to remove them because that just creates more problems you need to solve.

zmog

20. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Oh! Someone snuck into my house and saw what I have in my WIP shelf. :)