Hybrid Blackout - Possible project?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MonkeyBusiness, May 7, 2008.

1. MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness Autobot Engineer

I'm looking for some opinions on a possible project of mine.

Basically, I hate Premium voyager Blackout. The white coloring everywhere makes me crazy, because it doesn't look anything like the movie. However, the external paint apps in helicopter mode are significantly better than they are in the standard voyager Blackout. Thus, my dilemma.

So, here's my thought. I'm thinking of replacing the arms, legs, and some kibble of Premium voyager Blackout with the arms and legs and some kibble from regular voyager Blackout. I'm not sure if a total conversion is entirely possible, and I'd have to see if the paint apps are at least close enough (i.e., shiny on the legs but not on the waist, matte external shiny internal, color matching, etc.), but I think it'd be worth a try.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like Hasbro dropped the ball on Premium Blackout and actually made it worse than regular Blackout. I'm just correcting their mistake. Thoughts are welcome and encouraged!

2. MonkeyBusiness

Alright, so I found a loose Blackout on eBay and picked it up pretty cheaply. So, with a little luck and a lot of energon, I'll have a better Blackout this weekend. I'll post pics during the process for anyone that might be interested.

3. MonkeyBusiness

Aaaaand we're done!

So, I humbly present... Hybrid Blackout!

[​IMG]

My apologies for the pictures. They're from my phone.

Anyway, here's where we started.

[​IMG]

Premium Blackout in the tan, and Regular Blackout in the Black, but minus some paint.

I was going to post directions, but this was surprisingly easy. As a note: not a bad idea to do the legs one at a time. They're a little more complicated than they look. Also, be prepared to pull a pin here and there.

Tools: Small pliers, small phillips and flathead screwdriver, super glue (for the missiles which you can pry out with a small flat head, and for the black fuel thingys which you'll need to stick in place.)

And now, more action shots!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blackout in vehicle mode!

[​IMG]

Finally, the cast of Transformers!

[​IMG]

If anyone has any questions, please post here or send me a PM and I'll be happy to answer them.

As a note, this version of Blackout looks fifty times better than the regular premium version. It is, truly, what the premium version should have been.

4. influence82

influence82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It looks nice. However, if you could, please take a picture of the custom toy facing the sunlight instead of behind the sunlight.

5. MonkeyBusiness

More pics, as requested:

From the front:
    [​IMG]

From the side:
    [​IMG]

Close up:
    [​IMG]

Vehicle mode side:
    [​IMG]

Vehicle mode front:
    [​IMG]

Vehicle mode perspective:
    [​IMG]

Hope that helps!

6. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

What you did was the same plan I had when I bought both the normal and premium versions of blackout...but the problem I ran into once I started looking at them side-by-side was that Blackout is light blue and black, and Premium is dark blue and tan...which means that any tan/black parts with blue paint apps (or vice versa) will stand out as the wrong color.

It drove me nuts just thinking about it. Did you make any allowances for that? Or just decide to deal with it? It's hard to tell details from your photos, I'm afraid.

In the end, I decided to just keep them both, and repaint the tan parts of Premium Blackout a flat black with a gunmetal wash. Win/win!

7. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    I really like the brownish grey on Premium Blackout. I didn't at first, but with the desert gimmick it makes him look like this beast from the Sahara. There are enough movieformers with black as one of their colors. I'm glad they opted not to repeat that same trend with Blackout.

8. MonkeyBusiness

The difference in blue is hardly noticeable. Because I used the front kibble from Premium Blackout's legs, you really only see it on the outsides of the legs. The black plastic was a different color, but it's not different enough to care.

The grey on Blackout was making me crazy. Not even in the same ballpark as Blackout in the Movie.