Hunting Classics

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by HeroicC300, Dec 30, 2011.

1. HeroicC300

HeroicC300 Chats with Artists

News Credits:
    Okay, so I think I should ditch collecting movie toys (Wheeljacque aside) and try and change gears to classics.

What molds would you guys reccommend trying to get first?

My goals:
    Perceptor, Jazz, and Tracks from RTS
    BB and Cliff from Classics
    Mirage as well
    Universe Smokescreen, Ironhide or Ratchet, Hot Shot (or Dion), Inferno, Blades, Hound, and maybe Silverstreak or Sideswipe
    Generations Wheeljack, Kup, Blurr, and Darkmount.

How hard would it be to find these guys on Ebay, and how much would it cost?

2. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    If you do a search of completed ebay auctions you'll get an idea of price. Doing a little comparison shopping in the junkion never hurts either.

Off the top of my head Cliff, Mirage, Silverstreak, and Sideswipe will be the most expensive figures of the group. They probably arent that hard to find (with the exception of cliffjumper, maybe).

3. HeroicC300

News Credits:
    Thanks. Don't want RTS Grapple; crane doesn't sit right with me (I'm a BIG industrial vehicle fan).

But, I know by examining blades, I can get an idea for designing a Protectobot group, using four deluxes and a voyager.

Still, Mirage looks to be a damn good fig.

4. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

So, you didn't explain why you're chosing to ditch the movieverse stuff, or anything else not Classics inspired for that matter. :confused: 

5. HeroicC300

News Credits:
    Well, classics just sits better with me. And I'm NOT ditching Prime, just Movie stuff.

Sorry to confuse.

6. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    Warpath

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Depends do you want G1 stuff based on charecter significane or just the best toys in general.

If you want best toys currently avaliable:

Special Ops Jazz
    Tracks or Wheeljack (Pick your poison Tracks has full extended legs but Wheeljack has charecter in his short stumpiness)
    Thunderwing or Sky Shadow (Sky Shadow's deco is way win, i bought one today)
    Dirge (IMO cooler than Thrust)
    Blurr/Drift (Personally I like Blurr more, because of his guns)
    Lugnut
    Windcharger
    Thundercracker
    Inferno (Since you don't want Grapple, you will love Inferno)
    Cyclonus (It's cheap if you get him the Rodimus set, Rodimus is meh but Cyclonus is wicked cool)

8. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

You need to get all the Seekers.

9. HeroicC300

News Credits:
    I know. But Skywarp'll be difficult.

10. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well I'm selling a loose Sideswipe for $35, if that helps you Heroic. :D 

Henkei Optimus Prime just got a rerelease, and United Megatron came out recently. I got each for $50 recently, and they are natural anchors of such a collection. Also, get all Generations stuff still available at retail cost or less NOW!

Personally I skipped Cliffjumper, who is basically Expensive Red Bumblebee. Get Generations Cliffjumper. He's still pocket change, he's got a great G1 (NOT Prime) head, and his body-type is used in the IDW G1 comics if you are a canon junkie. :) 

I'm having trouble finding Mirage or Ratchet for a remotely affordable price. You can get Ironhide for sort of a reasonable price, if you don't mind his face being blue...

11. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    smokescreen is really expensive now, and the universe version looks like a ko in person, for the little extra, go for the henkei imo

12. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    Good luck getting Windcharger for a good price! :p  But to be fair, if you're getting into Classics, it really depends on whether or not you want your toys to be show-accurate or not. Most of Henkei have show-accurate paintjobs.

13. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Definetly grab what's still availible at retail first. And then the patiently work your way back.

14. HeroicC300

News Credits:
    Well, based on some of the recommendations (and yes, I'm going to go for Kup/Wheeljack FIRST, not that big on warpath, though it's a cool tank), I'll go for Henkei Smokescreen, since apparently the Universe one's color scheme is too garish. Also, I'll try for that version of Hot Shot so I can sidestep the QC issues (or just grab a Dion)

15. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Kup and Wheeljack are good places to start, they seem to be available in most places now.

I have Generations Cliffjumper, he works pretty well - he's probably easier to find and cheaper than trying for a classics Cliffjumper. I know I'd rather save the money I'd spend on a classics CJ on Prime CJ or putting it toward other toys. Good luck on Smokescreen and Bluestreak (Silverstreak) - I've been wanting them for a while, but can't justify the prices some folks want for them right now (especially after I shelled out as much as I did for Ratchet and Ironhide).

16. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would say that before you buy anything, you should sit down and have a think about just what kind of classics collection you are after. Look at comparison pics of Hasbro/Takara releases, but also of some g1 releases like frenzy/rumble and compare those to the classics ones and try to make up your mind about what you want fom classics. Some key questions I'd recomend making up your mind about:

Are you going for a modern take on g1 or do you want t collect them all?
    Will you complete the collection with third party toys?
    Will you add KOs to the collection?
    Which release do you want to go for? Takara/Hasbro or a mix where you decided on a case by case basis?
    How much money can you spend on this a month? Will a Takara/3:rd party/KO be worth it?
    Will buying a Hasbro release satisfy you if you relly want a takara version?
    Will you have space for all your figs?
    Will you be army building?

After identifying all that and when you have a clear goal to strive for then I'd make a list with aprox price and go for the cheapest ones first (current waves) but also be mindfull of takaras releases (Rodimus was at like $120 on ebay right before they re-released him for ALOT less)

Good luck, and I'm looking forward to seeing how your collection comes along.

17. cheapdate

cheapdate Banned

The pain comes when you want to add 3rd party pieces to compliment your Classics collection for missing figures. I'm guessing you don't want to go that route though.

18. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

Keep an eye on the Junkion Exchange.Every once in a while I see him on there for a decent price.That's where I found mine earlier this year for only $2.00.

19. LEADERS_MATRIX

LEADERS_MATRIX Wisdom of the ages...

You should so go for Classics Prime too, and Henkei Megs, very nice bots, original transformations.

20. CrackerBoy

CrackerBoy SeƱor Member TFW2005 Supporter

Movie lines suck... Go classics, they are worth it